PDA

View Full Version : Looking for lower cost Random Orbit Sander

Jeff Knight
05-18-2006, 3:41 PM
Hi all. I am looking to buy a lower cost random orbit sander, in the $75 range. I see lots of people like Festool, but I can not justify spending that much since I will be using it a few times a year. But I would like something well made. And I probably will not have it hooked up to a shopvac, so decent dust collection onboard would be nice. I would also prefer variable speed, but don't know if that is a deal killer if it does not have it. I already have some hook and loop 8 hole sanding paper from Amazon, so that limits me a bit.
Here are some that I have looked at:

Porter Cable 333VS
Bosch 1295DVSK
Craftsman Professional 27989 (I have a gift card here)
Rigid R2600

This list is not inclusive, and you if you have other ideas let me know. But what would recommend for a sander in my budget? Thanks. - Jeff

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2006, 3:49 PM
I believe Lowes has the PC ROS for $53....FYI

Mike Henderson
05-18-2006, 3:57 PM
I have the Ridgid R2600 and it's okay. Not wonderful, but okay, especially for the price. The problem I have with all my hook and loop sanders is that eventually the hooks on the pad wear out and the sandpaper won't stick - so choose a sander that has a reasonable price on a replacement pad. I have a Makita ROS and a replacement pad on that one costs about $20. I have to change the pad about once a year so it makes the cost of ownership high. I've found replacement pads for the Ridgid for about $12 plus shipping - I now buy several at a time when I order them.

The dust collection works well on the R2600. One problem I have with the R2600 now is that the bearing for the pad seems to be clogging up or something. When I take the sander off the work, the pad starts to spin at a high rate of speed, which causes problems when you put it back down on the work. It'll gouge the work unless you're very careful. I need to take it apart and see what's going on.

I can't afford a Festool either but with all the problems I've had with ROS, I might just spring for one someday.

Mike

Bob Childress
05-18-2006, 4:14 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post, but thought I would throw in my 2 cts worth. You have to start somewhere.

I bought a PC 333K because I needed something more aggressive than my Ryobi Finisher to remove some old finish. In 4 months I have gone through at least a hundred discs at various grits and the sander never whimpered. Often sanded four hours straight (with help from the LOML). I have it hooked to a Festool 22c and it is clean as a whistle, but the hard-case collector seemed to work very well. Liked it so well, I bought the PC 1/4 sheet too.

Amazon has them for about 52.00. As for variable speed, I think it is just something else to go wrong and you won't use it much anyway.

Howard Rosenberg
05-18-2006, 4:18 PM
But I've had the 5" VS Makita with the pistol grip for a few years.

I love it.

Very aggressive.
In some cases the VS can be very useful.
LOW LOW LOW vibration.

I've used it a lot and it's always been reliable.

In contrast, I found the P-C ROS so filled with vibration my hand started to tingle when I first got it. Returned it real quick and bought the Makita.

I've never looked back.

HTH
Howard

Helen Gee
05-18-2006, 4:24 PM
I have the 5" ROS that Howard has as well and I love it. Don't feel as much vibration compared to other ones I've used. I have had no problems with dust collection, the dust port hooks up to the shopvac.

John Timberlake
05-18-2006, 4:26 PM
Have used the DeWalt DW421 (not VS) for three years with no problems. Good dust collection, better with vacuum. I always use the 3X sand paper because it seems to last longer. Also have used the PC version and like it.

Tom Jones III
05-18-2006, 4:41 PM
I got the dewalt variable speed from Lowes and it is in your price range. Works great for me. I've even got the little 1" port hooked up to my cyclone and DC is much better than I anticipated.

Bobby Hicks
05-18-2006, 4:41 PM
I have a reconditioned 5" Ryobi variable speed unit I got from from one of the roaming Cummings tool sales for around $30-40.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-18-2006, 4:45 PM
Porter Cable Speed Blok
It takes 1/4 sheets of paper and is a dream to use.
No DC but DC is for girlie men. Us real men prefer to inhale sander dust.

Todd Davidson
05-18-2006, 5:03 PM
I have three ROS - Craftsman Professional VS (they're made by Dewalt), a PC333, and a PC333VS. I like the VS sanders better, and the PC over the C'man. Also have a PC Speedbloc - excellent sander. My $0.02.

In peace, Todd

Greg Koch
05-18-2006, 5:08 PM
Ditto Helen and Howard. The Makita has been very good and I wish I had another one or two for easy use of different grits.

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 5:10 PM
I have the 333VS and have never once used it in any other speed than high. Save a few bucks and buy a 333.

Jeff Knight
05-18-2006, 5:57 PM
Wow, I didn't expect so many quality replies so quickly. Thanks. I had not really looked at the Makita's and I checked on Amazon and the Makita BO5021KX1 is $94. The reviews up there are real good. They also have a Factory Reconditioned one for $39.95, which looks like a great price. From your comments and the comments on Amazon, it looks like it has a good dust collector, uses standard 8 hold pads, has a low vibration level, and sands well. It is variable speed as well, which some say is great, and some say is near worthless. I guess it can't hurt. I have not decided for sure, but this is the direction I am leaning towards.

M. A. Espinoza
05-18-2006, 7:39 PM
Recommend you take a look at the Bosch. They are available reconditioned for around 55. Tried one and its much smoother than my old PC 333.

Haven't tried a newer PC for comparison so I can't say its totally objective but the PC does make my hnnds tingle if used for too long.

Tried the Bosch and its pretty smooth, not in Festool territory but I don't think anything else is. Has several options for pads if you are sanding contours, but you can only hook it up to a vacuum if you buy a $3 accessory.

Pete Harbin
05-18-2006, 8:24 PM
Another Ridgid user here. I've got both the 5" and 6" models and I've enjoyed using them both. I've found dust collection to work very well on both of them. I picked up a Craftsman tool switch, so I use them in conjuction with a vac.

I don't have the speed, run-up that Michael is seeing with his. There may be something going on there. At the upper speed range though, the 2600 is pretty agressive. Ridgid does have the 90 Day, no questions asked return policy, so take one for a test drive.

Good luck with the purchase.

Pete

Ron Jones near Indy
05-18-2006, 8:52 PM
PC is used and sometimes abused at my old job be several "students". No problems.

Jim Chilenski
05-18-2006, 8:55 PM
I also have the Bosch. M.A. pretty much covered my opinions of it. Replacement pads are available in three different hardness levels depending on what you are sanding. The dust collection system works well until the filter fills up, which happens very quickly. You will definitely want to get a shop vac and the $3 adapter.

Corey Hallagan
05-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I use the Dewalt that I picked up for 49.00 they got some nice new models as well.

Corey

glenn bradley
05-19-2006, 12:04 AM
My Craftsman Pro (also bought on sale and with the club card = $35) is going on a year and works great. Better than average dust collection. It's not top notch but I've WAYYY got my money out of it.

Bart Leetch
05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
But I've had the 5" VS Makita with the pistol grip for a few years.

I love it.

Very aggressive.
In some cases the VS can be very useful.
LOW LOW LOW vibration.

I've used it a lot and it's always been reliable.

In contrast, I found the P-C ROS so filled with vibration my hand started to tingle when I first got it. Returned it real quick and bought the Makita.

I've never looked back.

HTH
Howard

I'll second this one great little sander

Mike Henderson
05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
I own the Makita BO5021 as well as the Ridgid R2600. The Makita is a good sander with only a few issues.

I prefer the Makita pistol grip over the palm type sanders - easier to hold. I took the front knob off so that I could get closer into corners. The Makita is agressive and does a good job sanding. Reasonable dust collection. I've had the Makita for a number of years and have had no problems except with the H&L pad.

Two issues: (1) the dust bag is very hard to get off the sander. There's a push knob on one side which is very difficult to push in far enough to get the bag off. (2) a replacement hook and loop pad is a bit over $20 and with my use (hobby only), I have to replace it once a year because it will no longer hold the paper on.

Between the Makita and the Ridgid, I'd choose the Makita.

Mike

Jeff Knight
05-19-2006, 2:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to get the Makita refurb as it has everything I wanted, had good reviews and the price was right. And it comes with a 1 year warranty, so that was enough to seal the deal with me.

Mark Pruitt
05-19-2006, 2:23 PM
Haven't tried a newer PC for comparison so I can't say its totally objective but the PC does make my hnnds tingle if used for too long.

Possibly could be early symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Wear a brace when you sleep if this persists, see a doc if you need to. Just some friendly advice.

Kyle Kraft
05-19-2006, 3:01 PM
Porter Cable Speed Blok

Whoa nellie, Cliff!! Watch out for the safety/health police after a statement like that:D !!

Kyle in K'zoo

Loren Hedahl
05-19-2006, 3:03 PM
Cliff -- you need to go to your room.

I also like my old PC Speed Blok -- I just wish it was made with DC. Even though I have a Festool 125 RO, many times the Speed Blok is just the best tool for the job.

I have an old 20 inch box fan with an upper-scale furnace filter duct taped to the front. This is mounted on an old camera tri-pod I picked up at a yard sale. That way it can be set up over a range of heights.

Loren Hedahl

Porter Cable Speed Blok

Steven Wilson
05-19-2006, 3:33 PM
Porter Cable 333VS. If you want one and a bunch of sandpaper, lambs wool pad, etc. check out this thread and make an offer http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10694 . It hasn't been used since the ad went up - too much fun with the Festool's

Robert Mayer
05-19-2006, 4:33 PM
I have a dewalt one and its terrible. Takes three people to hold onto it because of the vibration. Its really only good for drowning out my wife when shes talking to me while im working in the shop.