PDA

View Full Version : Flexible shaft bowl sanding

Parker Nicholson
05-18-2006, 3:23 PM
I'm thinking about rigging a (1/2?HP) motor with some sort of flexible shaft and chuck to sand bowls with. Right now Im using a Milwaukee close-quarters drill, but I understand this is not a long term usage tool. I think a flex-shaft tool would be quite a bit more maneuverble. Anyone here have something set up like this? What's the most efficient way to spend my money? I want what will get the job done and not necessarily a "show" tool. Thanks for any help and advice!

Brad Hart
05-18-2006, 3:38 PM
personally I dislike using a powered sander for anything but small problem areas but not getting into that argument your plan is doable. I have seen power take offs of various machines for flex shafts and various flex shafts that will take up to a 3/8" bit. I have often thought about doing this same thing with bowl buffs, but cringe every time I see the $100+ for quality 3/8" capable flex shafts. You could probably get by with the common less expensive 1/4" shafts for sanding but once I get a piece to the buffing stage I am not taking a chance on something lesser.