PDA

View Full Version : Old TS

Dusty Fuller
05-18-2006, 2:03 PM
I have access to my grandfather's old tablesaw. I don't know how old it is, but its a Power Kraft, which as I understand was sold by Montgomery Ward. Its not a fancy piece, I know, but am wondering where I can get parts to get it working and looking decent again. Sentimental reasons mainly, and also to do some small work. Anybody know anything? Thanks! Dusty

tod evans
05-18-2006, 2:55 PM
welcome dusty! my first lathe was an ol` powercraft. all bearings for your saw are available off the shelf at any bearing supply house, switch should also be an off the shelf item as is the belt. what other parts do you need? tod

Scott Loven
05-18-2006, 3:00 PM
this may help
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/ByMfg.asp?MfgID=657

Dev Emch
05-18-2006, 4:03 PM
One of the main alluring reasons for old iron is that these machines were built with metal lathes and milling machines. As a result, you will find the following self evident:

1). Electrics are generic components incorporated into the tool. They are not special or unique items nor do they need to be replaced with identical clones. A trip to your local electrical shop for contactors, relays, switches, etc. can net all the right stuff. You can also buy some great allen bradley items on THAT ONLINE AUCTION that is he who cannt be named.;)

2). Motors are often based on frame sizes which has as much to do with mounting as anything else. Most woodworking machines can have their motors either rewound (direct drive types) or replaced with new motors. Again, so long as it fits and you keep the pulley drive ratio and final RPM the same, you can do just about anything you wish.

3). Bearings are often purchased from bearing houses. I have yet to run into a woodworking machine made during the last 100 years for which I CANNOT obtain new bearings. (Older babbit machines are just repoured and rescraped. Done all the time).

So one of the greatest fears for old iron is that it will break and your not able to get it running again. NOT TRUE! Granted some are harder than others. But the irony in this situation is that its harder to restore a modern machine imported from china than an older machine. Mainly due in part to the use of injection moulded parts and other propriatary items which require special custom made dies and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machine shop tools to make. Same applies to a Model T versus a 2006 Cadilliac. Reproducing or rebuilding parts for the T is cake. Replacing parts for the cadi can be a true pain!

Dusty Fuller
05-19-2006, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't taken a real close look at it, but I know all the parts are there. Whether any of them are any good or not could be another story, but I'll get it working eventually! Thanks as well for the welcome, its a great site.

Dusty

Tom Andersen
05-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I have renovated an old, rusty, UK table saw from 1963. I didn't even need to replace the ball bearings. It works great! Very stable!