PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw Preferences

glenn bradley
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Gang,
Time to replace the very old and hopelessly outdated lone Jig Saw in my shop. I believe I've got it narrowed down to the Makita 4341FCT for a lot of good reasons. One of which is I can't justify the $$$ for the Festool.

I'm sure a lot of you have jig saws that you love, hate, "wish you'd-a-got", etc. Let's hear it and TIA!

Greg Narozniak
05-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Bosch Barrel grip. 10 years old and still going strong

Jeff Horton
05-18-2006, 1:18 PM
Bought my Bosch 2 or 3 years ago and I don't have a single complaint with it. It replaced a cheapo B&D. Just no comparison in them. My favorite feature is the variable speed. It's something I didn't think much about when I bought it but now I love it. Don't want to be without it.

I have Makita tools and no complaints with them. Not sure why I didn't buy a Makita?

Mike Mortenson
05-18-2006, 1:56 PM
Bosch Its the best jigsaw I have ever used.

Ian Barley
05-18-2006, 1:57 PM
I dithered over a Festool for a long time but just don't use this type of tool anywhere close to often enough for that money. I finally plunged for a Makita which is very good and excellent value - runs very smoothly. I went for the D handle on the basis that it was on special offer. I'm happy with the purchase.

Steve Clardy
05-18-2006, 2:06 PM
Bosch. Been a good one!!

Larry Conely
05-18-2006, 2:09 PM
Bosch. Well thought out and designed. Durable. Adjustable to any situation. Great saw.

Jim DeLaney
05-18-2006, 2:26 PM
Another vote for Bosch.

Brad Schmid
05-18-2006, 2:34 PM
Bosch barrell grip, 8 yrs, good tool.

Greg Koch
05-18-2006, 2:46 PM
Bosch! My 1590 has been great. Now on sale, with free shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001X21RG/ref=nosim/104-4817134-4136765?n=228013

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 2:47 PM
I have an old Skil jigsaw that just won't die, but I use it so little that I can't justify replacing it. But when I do, I'll be looking for one that can be connected to a vacuum, like the Freud.

tod evans
05-18-2006, 2:47 PM
electric=bosch, pneumatic=sioux.....02 tod

glenn bradley
05-18-2006, 2:56 PM
Interesting that my old saw is a Skil as well. It was a 'get-by' saw when I bought it 20+years ago and JUST WON"T DIE. The saw is fine, just what I want one to do has changed.

Thanks to all!

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2006, 3:51 PM
BOSCH...Outstanding jigsaw IMHO

Jim Becker
05-18-2006, 4:10 PM
If you're not going Festool...Bosch is the best choice, IMHO...as well as many other folks.

Christian Aufreiter
05-18-2006, 4:41 PM
No matter which saw you're going to buy be sure to go to a store in order to find out which saw fits your hands best. The Bosch 1591EVSK offers several nice features but it just doesn't feel "right" in my hands.
If I hadn't bought a Festool I would have opted for the Makita 4341FCT.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Todd Davidson
05-18-2006, 4:55 PM
Have had my Bosch barrel grip for years. Recently Kim and I needed a second jigsaw at work. Looked hard at the Metabo made Ridgid 'cause of the dust collection and price, but decided that a hose hanging off a jigsaw would be a PITA for our uses and the the Bosch isn't that much more, so I bought another Bosch (D handle this time - Kim's preference). If DC and price are important, check out the Ridgid - if not I'd go Bosch.

In peace, Todd

Frankie Hunt
05-18-2006, 6:10 PM
I vote Bosch. I've had mine over 7 years, no regrets.

Wes Bischel
05-18-2006, 7:55 PM
OK, so I'm a conformist - Bosch barrel grip.:rolleyes:

Wes

Pete Harbin
05-18-2006, 8:15 PM
I've got the Ridgid, and the dust collection does work well. Can't argue with an overwhelming Bosch support though...and that's not a new thing either. Whenever the subject of jigsaws comes up, Bosch always rises to the top.

I like the Ridgid, it's a good solid machine, feels good in the hand (maybe a little heavy, but I haven't compared), runs smoothly, and the dust collection is pretty good. I don't use the jigsaw much, so it doesn't see a lot of action. If I were buying one today, I'd have to put Bosch at the top of my list, just due to the ongoing praises they've recieved for quite a few years.

Pete

Gary Keedwell
05-18-2006, 8:28 PM
I have had my Bosch for 13 years and still runs great.

Gary K.

Frank Chaffee
05-18-2006, 8:36 PM
Glenn,
I run a Bosch 1581VS that is >25 years old. When I got it for $229 from Seven Corners Ace Hardware in St. Paul it was the hot item in the carpentry world. Then, it stood head and shoulders above the two Milwaukee brand jig saws I had worn out. Today’s models are improved from that one and much less expensive to boot!!!

On the slim chance that I would outlive that saw, I have a Festool in reserve.

Regarding the type of handle, choose the one that fits your own cutting style. Top handle is my preference.

Frank

Howard Rosenberg
05-18-2006, 8:46 PM
The barrel-grip jigsaw gives you more control and "feel".
My experience, FWIW.

I had the previous generation Bosch barrel-grip and liked it.
Unfortunately I accidentally killed it.
Repairing it wasn't cost-effective so I started my research tour.
(I HATE replacing tools!!)

That's what led me to be in the position to compare three different jigsaws -2 Bosch and the Makita.
I prefer Makita gear.
Everything with a small high-RPM motor that I own is Makita.

As for the Bosch - if you're looking at the previous generation Bosch, get the Makita.
The Makita's a little smoother.
And quieter.
The quick-eject feature is good.
And that LED strikes me as handy.

BUT --

If you're looking at the current generation Bosch, it's that much better than the Makita and the same price (at least here in Toronto it is...)

So --

the answer is - it depends.

On your budget.
Your hand size - the Bosch is definitely beefier.
Your ability to withstand the vibration.

My 2C.
Howard

Ron Jones near Indy
05-18-2006, 8:47 PM
Bosch, no doubt in my mind.

Jerry White
05-18-2006, 9:14 PM
Bosch barrel grip here, too!

Frank Pellow
05-18-2006, 9:22 PM
First of all, get a barrel grip. It gives you a lot more control.

I have the older Festool PS2 jig saw and really really like it. I have also used my brother-in-laws Bosch barrel gip and it too is a great saw, not as great as my Festool, but great. You are going to be happy with either one of them.

Jacob Larsen
05-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I have the German made Ridgid and like it very much. I got it mostly due to the price vs. quality (at the time it was $100.). Be warned though. It had been sold out at my local HD for quite a while. When I saw they had gotten some in, I picked it up and brought it home. After opening the case, I discovered it looked different than the one I had seen before. Upon further investigation, this was a new model, R3121 and made in China. I ended up ordering the Metabo-made R3120 through the website and took the other back. They are both available currently through the web.

Corey Hallagan
05-18-2006, 10:04 PM
New Bosch Barrel Grip, best money I ever spent, I love it!

Corey

glenn bradley
05-19-2006, 12:06 AM
You guys convinced me. The improved blade control on the 1590 looks great and I love the way the foot backs off to allow close work.

glenn bradley
05-19-2006, 12:07 AM
You guys convinced me. The improved blade control on the 1590 looks great and I love the way the foot backs off to allow close work.

Greg Koch
05-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Great choice.... 4 1/4 stars with 56 reviews on Amazon!

chester stidham
05-19-2006, 3:24 AM
I have both the Bosch and a Mekita and the Bosch wins hands down I like Mekita tools I have there 2012 lunch box planer and a hand plane for doors and all my cordless tools and few others but you well be happer with the Bosch jig saw I never used a Fasttool jig saw but I can't see how they are worth the price with the Bosch being so good. if they are as good as the hype then they must be great just plug them in and they do all the work LOL. I have a few frends that work in the trades and they all us the Bosch thats where I tried one and glad I did.:D

Steven Peters
05-19-2006, 3:54 AM
I have an 18volt Dewalt. It's guaranteed to run out of juice exactly when you need it most.

Jim Dunn
05-19-2006, 7:35 AM
Bosch!!! Easy to get and runs smooth.

Kent Fitzgerald
05-19-2006, 8:09 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bosch.:rolleyes:

I like my 1590 EVSK.:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-19-2006, 8:50 AM
Ive had two Makitas. Both purchased new over 20 years ago. The first one I got was a super heavy barrel plastic body. The mechanical blade drive mechanism broke but the plastic body never failed. I tossed it and got another makita, a heavier one, a lot like the bosh on sale at amazon.

It's a tad sloppy (the makita) the blade doesn't track as true as I'd like, and the little pseudo bearing behind the blade though a great idea isn't as effective as it ought to be. Though they were fabulously better than my prior jig Skil saw from K-Mart.

The Big Box stores don't sell blades for it but Amazon does. If I had to get another I'd get the 4340FCT and no other Makita jig saw.
I'd probably get the Makita over the Bosh but the only reason for that I that I have a "sence" of believing I know what I'm getting and the Bosh would be an unknown for me.

I have a Makita 9403 track sander and those jig saws and a Makita Chop/Miter saw. All have performed quite well.

tod evans
05-19-2006, 8:52 AM
cliff, i`ve driven both and feel safe in saying if you ever drive the bosch you`ll ditch the makita like a bad apple...02 tod

Scott Donley
05-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Just to be different, I love my PC:o