PDA

View Full Version : Another miter sled

Ole Anderson
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
After seeing DM's cool TS miter jig made from an aluminum plate, it got me thinking of an econo way to get that perfect 45. Well, almost perfect. Wasn't easy wacking that Woodpecker precision 90 degree jig. First I built the sled, cut the kerf, used a milled plastic drafting 45 degree triangle to set the aluminum jig. Used epoxy to hold it in place so tightening the bolts wouldn't pull it out of alignment. Drilled the holes and used 1/4" ss allen capscrews and tee-nuts to bolt it down after the epoxy set, then used my aluminum cutting blade to slice the now-fixed-in-place jig. Next I have to devise some stop holders and away we go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/IMG_1758.jpg

Ken Garlock
05-18-2006, 7:31 PM
My first thought was, Oh no he ruined a great square.

Great Idea for a miter sled.:D

Those Woodpecker squares are great for clamping a 90 deg. corner during glue ups. Much better than the stamped metal ones that have been around for several years.

Ole Anderson
05-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Quite a coincidence, but is somewhat the same concept as the one just posted using a drafting square screwed to the sled, except that the Woodpecker square is tall and beefy enough to be able to clamp directly to.