PDA

View Full Version : Wood for Turning (Possible Gloat?)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-03-2003, 8:46 PM
My Dad has been on my rear since spring to bring down a few dead trees he has out on the "Ponderosa". Well, now that I will be entering the Dark Side of Turning, I am a little more motivated to get the trees down. ;) He has 2 large Elms that have been dead for about a year, and I am dropping them Saturday. I would imagine I can get some very nice turning wood from these Elms, if it is worth messing with. Even if I just use if for practice, is Elm good to turn? Also, we were discussing various woods for turning, and the subject turned to Box Elder. Seems he has a Box Elder that died this spring, and I am taking it down also. It calipers at about 30" or so, and hopefully, it will have some streaking in it..........regardless, I will be taking the whole tree for blanks. My Dad has 5 acres, and being the Tree Nut, I am kind of ashamed that I don't remember that this tree was even there. He also has a fairly large European Hedge Maple that I planted about 15 years ago, and it has some storm damage, so I will be adding that to my Turning Stock too. Then there is the large Peach tree that will come down this fall. I hope the Peach is good to turn, because there will be plenty of it also. So, what say you oh turners of wood, should I cabbage onto the Elm, along with the Box Elder, Maple and Peach? Thanks for any suggestions and advice from our veteran turners...........from the "Rookie Spinner"! :D

Jim Becker
09-03-2003, 9:25 PM
Gee, Kevin, you need to offer some of that wood to your SMC friends! Or at least sell some to finance all the various things your addiction will demand. :D

Seriously all of what you have coming is great with the exception of the elm. It's pretty persnickity for cracking and some of it smells like...well...something the dog left behind...when it's being turned. That being said, it can be quite beautiful and you should definiately turn some of it. If you don't like it...it makes nice firewood.

Richard Allen
09-03-2003, 9:29 PM
Hi Kevin

So much wood so little time. Get yourself some green wood sealer, anchorseal is a good product. A gallon is good but 5 gallons sounds more like the addiction you are headed for. I prefer to keep antifreeze off the wood so I would suggest getting the stuff without anifreeze and store it inside over the winter.

Thanks

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-03-2003, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the Advice! I have a couple of Gallons of End Grain sealer coming and I have a place to store it inside over the winter. Not to keen on the Doggie Doo smell, but if it is turnable, it should be good practice wood, if nothing else. I like to share my finds with other Woodworkers, so that is not a problem either. I have a fireplace, and I burn a ton of wood, so nothing goes to waste. Elm is OK firewood, but with 80 Acres of Hardwood Timber, Oak and Hickory are the Firewood's of choice. Not to mention the endless supply of Osage Orange. Hard as hell on the Chainsaw, but it sure is pretty and it burns hot as hades. Pops and cracks a lot when burning, so you have to use it sparingly. Honestly, I don't burn Osage Orange, but Dad uses it in his workshop Woodstove...........it is an airtight unit, so no worries with sparks. (The wife hates it when I get hot embers on the Hearth Rug............and now that I think of it, I ain't so hot on the idea either!) I just hope the Box Elder has some streaking in it.........that would be a nice bonus. I will take some pictures during the Tree Dropping and post them here this weekend.

Jim Becker
09-04-2003, 9:49 AM
Not to mention the endless supply of Osage Orange.

Another turning winner as long as you avoid the pith! Osage orange is a pleasure to turn--the experience of those bright yellow curls coming off is incredible. It also polishes up to an amazing shine by just running up through the grits (I go to 600) and then burnishing. The first thing I turned from it is the business end of my shop mallet for whacking chisels...it's a winner. Turnings that you want to preserve the color are more challenging as it browns out from UV.