PDA

View Full Version : DC and Chip Separator Question

Ned Bulken
05-18-2006, 9:21 AM
I have a very small starter DC an old 'Blue' Jet 3/4 hp unit, which I’ve upgraded with a shaker felt bag on top. It does a fine job on the TS, and a so-so job on the planer. I really cannot expect it to do ‘more’ as it stands. There is only so many CFM Possible with that motor of course. When I build my new shop later this summer, I’m planning on a bump out addition for the DC with access into the main shop for piping and/or hoses. I’m thinking of putting a chip separator in line upstream from the DC, will that even help with that small of a motor?

Jim Becker
05-18-2006, 9:29 AM
That machine is not a good candidate for any kind of duct work, Ned, and adding a separator will just make it less efficient. You may get away with it that way since your proposed shop is quite small, but you will want to be wearing personal dust protection to deal with the fines that are not going to get collected at the source.

Ned Bulken
05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Jim,
about what I figured, and I'm mask-friendly. I don't mind using them. I'm also going to be adding a shop-built air cleaner up in the loft area. I figure even a small unit will more than suffice for my mini-shop. ;)

I'll spring for at least a 2hp HF DC asap, but not immediately. sounds like stop-gap is throw open the doors and windows for whatever remains of the summer/fall during any dusty operations. until i get a better DC.