PDA

View Full Version : Any info on GCC's "SmartBox" honeycomb box?

James Fillmore
05-18-2006, 8:57 AM
Or any info period on a honeycomb box for an Explorer 20" x 38". I bought a honeycomb box for my ULS and really like it. Been using it for 5+ years. Have to take it to the car wash once a year to get the carbon out of it or it will cause burn marks on the backs of white materials. But the support it provides is outstanding plus it allow the blower to suck the smoke out from below (there is a cut out in the back of the ULS one). Only bad was it was $1000 for the 24" x 18".

When I saw the SmartBox I hoped GCC saw the light. The vector table is very good but I would prfer the honeycomb - again a BIG one for the 20" x 38" table.

Another GREAT product (that I may make) would be a vector table that held water - only about 1/8" deep. I normally mist the surface of my vector table with water and mist both sides of the foam/rubber materials that I'm cutting to pervent any flare ups or burning. This is the only way to cut foam rubbers without burning them. I havent tried a Nitrogen flood yet. Anyone have any feedback on using Nitrogen?

Dave Jones
05-18-2006, 9:06 AM
I would think that if you had an 1/8" layer of water that the laser might reflect off of it like a mirror.

Joe Pelonio
05-18-2006, 9:53 AM
I would think that if you had an 1/8" layer of water that the laser might reflect off of it like a mirror.
I don't think so. Once had my spray bottle break and put water on by pouring, spread it out with my palm but still had puddles. The beam just sort of parted it but no reflection problems.

BTW my Epilog vector grid (12x24) would hold water as it has a lip around the bottom, would just have to plug a couple of holes. I'd be afraid of having it slosh into areas that might be vulnerable to rust though. If you
make one be sure the sides are deep enough to be able to move and remove it without spilling and paint the bottom black to help avoid reflection, and let us know if it works out.

For foams I will apply paper transfer tape and mist it, helps a lot with the flaming, but if I still get some I switch from the air pump at 25psi to the compressor at 35.