PDA

View Full Version : Scary Sharp Sources

Richard Gillespie
09-03-2003, 7:57 PM
Recently, I've returned to using the scary sharp method to sharpen my chisels and irons. However, when I opened the file folder that I keep my sandpaper in I found that I was out of or low in some of the grits I use.

Today I went out to resupply but found the stores in my area don't offer any grits smaller than 600.

I hope that some one can point me to an internet site or a store in Northern Virginia that has these grits. My original source was a hardware store in Central Virginia but it has since been bought by a chain and no longer offers these items.

I have posted this request in three forums, I hope this doesn't bother anyone.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-03-2003, 8:21 PM
Richard, try an Automotive Supply Store...............preferrably one that specializes in Automotive Refinish Supplies. The Auto Parts Stores that handle supplies for the Auto Body Repair Shops will usually have a good assortment of 3M Sandpaper in all the grits..........even the very fine ones. The Wet-or-Dry 3M paper is what I use for Scary Sharp, and the Auto Paint Supply stores will sell it a sheet at a time. I am able to get grit size up to 2000! (Or is that down to 2000!?) Other than that, there are many mail order sources for the paper as well, but then you pay a premium, and shipping, and have to wait for arrival. :)

Dave Anderson NH
09-04-2003, 10:11 AM
In addition to auto body supply places, Woodworkers Supply sells up to 2000 grit wet/dry via mailorder and some of the better paint stores will also carry a good selection.

Angelo Schembari
09-07-2003, 9:18 PM
I usually get mine at the local Wally - World (walmart) they have it up to 2000 here, and prices are cheap, always a plus. Also, they're open untill 11PM so you can run out to satisify those late night sharpening cravings!

Lee Schierer
09-11-2003, 9:47 AM
I found that the chain auto supply stores also carry most grits as do the local True Value Hardware stores. Will have to look into Wally WOrld as a source.

John Tarro
09-11-2003, 12:47 PM
I have been ordering my paper from Jeff Jewett http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/. He has all the papers you will ever need.

scott pollack
09-14-2003, 11:14 AM
can someone please fill me in on this method? ive always used stones to sharpen my irons. it works but could it be better? thank you for your time! scotty

Jeff Kurtz
09-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Scott,

Here's the link. If you search the web for "Scary Sharp", you'll find other pages as well.
http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

Jeff

scott pollack
09-14-2003, 1:12 PM
THANK YOU JEFF!!!!! im printing it out now. looks like ill be busy tonight.
scotty

scott pollack
09-14-2003, 2:54 PM
ok, so now where do you find sil. carbide in grits higher( lower?) than 600? it doesnt look easy to find. the auto body stores here only have to 600 and 2 dont even carry it. thank again! scotty

mmyjak
09-15-2003, 1:11 AM
ok, so now where do you find sil. carbide in grits higher( lower?) than 600? it doesnt look easy to find. the auto body stores here only have to 600 and 2 dont even carry it. thank again! scotty

I've been buying my SS *(tm) supplys from SuperGrit Abrasives (www.supergrit.com). Not only are their prices good, but you can also step up to AZ paper (Alumina Zirconia) which I find lasts much, much longer than SC paper.

Since you were asking about the SS (tm) method, you should know that there are several good sources for good "flat" substrates out there. I used to use a large (14" sq) floor tile, but you can splurge ($10?) for granite tile - that works really well too. Or you can do what I do now... and find a nice scrap (read:free!) piece of float glass at any local glass house. Mine is 6" wide by 48" long by 3/8" thick. I use a spray adhesive on the back side of the paper to "stick" it the glass. I usually use 3 half-sheets of each grit (80 girt & 220 AZ on one side, and 2 half sheets of 400AZ, 1,200 AZ and 2000 SC) in a row so I can also flatten my jointer, jack and smooth planes, irons, etc. When cleaned (often) the AZ paper can outlast anything else out there.

Any spray mount adhesive will work to adhere the paper to the glass - recently I've been using 3M NO. 77, but others work just as well. Hint: I spray the back side only around the edges, then I let it dry for 3-4 minutes before sticking it to the glass. (It makes it easier to replace if you do it this way.) When placing the paper on the glass, take care to tightly butt the pieces of paper together so there's no split or gap between them. This reduces the chance of tearing the paper while sharpening, flattening, etc. To remove the old paper/glue, use some mineral spirits and a flat (ideally plastic) putty knife and (lotsof) patience. Also if you use Naphtha (or mineral spirits instead of water as the sharpening lube) you won't have to worry about acquiring additional rust pits on your cutting tools. Don't forget to apply a good coat of wax when your're done.

scott pollack
09-21-2003, 3:55 PM
man, this system rocks!!!!! when i was finished i tried the old shave the hair off of your arm thingy. and guess what , it works! ive always used a stone before and have had my irons sharp but never SHARP! i tried my new iron on an old ratty piece of 2 x 4 and wow!, its like glass. look out oak , here we come. thanks guys!!!!!

scotty