PDA

View Full Version : Possible wood Gloat......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-18-2006, 8:04 AM
Well, what do you guys thinks about this pile of wood, is it a pile of bowl blanks, or firewood....

The tree was not very healthy, as you can see, and they decided to take it down, before it fell down.

Last year in a Typhoon a large branch broke off, so the head priest decided it had to go.

The wood is Shii which is a type of Oak.

The tree was taken down about a month ago, the guy says I can take it anytime I want, he is in no hurry.

here is the stump, you can see that it was rotting from the base up.

I figure I'll head over there with my chainsaw and cut some of it up, if it is of use, great, if it is just firewood, well, I've helped him cut it up.

Any advice on this?

Cheers!

Christopher K. Hartley
05-18-2006, 8:12 AM
Stu, never look a gift hourse in the mouth. Take it, it looks like spinny stuff to me. Even with it rotting, you never know what beautiful thing nature has hidden inside. Congrats! Great Gloat!:)

05-18-2006, 8:59 AM
I guess I could get a few bowls out of it...... :rolleyes:

Maybe a few thousand pen blanks......... :D

I'll get a chance early next week to have a go at it, should be fun :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2006, 9:52 AM
Stu give it a spin. If it is not good you can always make firewood out of it as a last resort.

Greg Koch
05-18-2006, 11:59 AM
If you take it...they will come! LOL! They'll probably remember your help and bring you other "goodies" in the future.

Ernie Nyvall
05-18-2006, 8:34 PM
Stu, I think I'd brush some of those leaves back and cut another chunk off the stump. Looks interesting down there. Never know though.

Ernie

05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I was thinking that myself Ernie, I don't know how much of a stump he wants left, he may want that much for aesthetics...?

I'll ask, because I think you may be right, there could be some neat wood there.

Cheers!

Dick Strauss
05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Stu,
I'd try to get some of that stump or the base of the tree as well. Even though the middle is rotted, you might get some pretty wood from the perimeter. Take it all and only turn those pieces that have some color variation in it.