PDA

View Full Version : McPheever or Soul Patrol?

Dave Fifield
05-18-2006, 4:54 AM
What do you reckon? Will the 2006 American Idol be Katharine McPhee or Taylor Hicks? I picked Katharine (yes, that's how she spells it) as my fave to win the first time I heard her sing at her initial audition....I still think she will prevail. Taylor's a great showman, but not a great singer IMO. What do YOU think?

Hello?....am I the only ww'er who watches the show? Hello?......HELLO?!!.....(hollow echo and dripping water sounds....) :D

Dave F.

Ken Salisbury
05-18-2006, 5:24 AM
The only 2 American Idols I know about are Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and General George Patton. :) :)

Michael Stafford
05-18-2006, 6:28 AM
I like them both but I think Taylor will win just because of how complete an entertainer he is. Katharine is a doll baby though and sings her type of songs wonderfully.

Bill Lewis
05-18-2006, 7:59 AM
Ok, so yes I admit it I watch the show. On the one hand I also get to put some of the "blame" on the wife. But I too find it enjoyable, but we are not alone. It is one of the highest rated shows out there.

Who do I think will win? At this point I think Taylor will win 'cause the "judges" have been pretty hard on KM lately. They seem to be steering the audience in that direction. I too watched both initial auditions, and I told my wife at the time that I thought KM would go all of the way.

They are both winners IMO, and both should have sustainable careers in music. I think the voting went right this time around. I do think these are the two that should be in the final two.

BTW we don't watch the results shows at all, so I assume that Elliot " I need to see an orthodontist" Yamin had the lowest number of supporters this time around.

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 8:15 AM
American Idol? What's that? never heard of it.........:p :rolleyes: ;) :D

Bob Winkler
05-18-2006, 8:36 AM
Ok, I admit it- I'm an IDOL addict. Never miss it (thanks to my DVR). It's kind of a family event.

I'll miss Elliot, because I thought his voice was beautiful, and wish that nice guys could finish first.

Of the final two, I like Kat better because of the quality of her voice. With some training, she could be a great performer, especially on Broadway. Taylor is made for TV, but I can't imagine buying his CD.

Bob

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 8:38 AM
.....Is Jim Brass going to survive his GSW on CSI tonight????:confused:

I say no.......:(

Tyler Howell
05-18-2006, 8:50 AM
.....Is Jim Brass going to survive his GSW on CSI tonight????:confused:

I say no.......:(

He's history.
What surprised me is Jethro on NCIS,
No reason to watch anymore. Neander, boat builder, sailor guys got it all. Will he come back??

Sorry I just don't get American Idol.:confused: :confused:
Life is too short.:D

tod evans
05-18-2006, 8:53 AM
i wanna know how ya`ll find time to sit in front of the boob tube?

Kyle Kraft
05-18-2006, 9:10 AM
I record stuff on my DVR and then play it back 10-15 minutes at bedtime before I go to sleep...works like a charm!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-18-2006, 9:16 AM
I got home late last night from work. Wife was watching The Amazing Race on one tv and recording "American Idol" on the other. She then brought the taped Idol show to the living room. I fell a sleep by it! Woke up this mornng on the couch! Kyle it works for me too!

Tyler Howell
05-18-2006, 9:37 AM
Good back ground noise while I'm working in the shop, and those times I should not be operating machinery:o .

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM

Tod....it is all in how you look at it! I paid alot of money for the equipment necessary, the monthly fee for the satelite feed... I find the time to make the best use of the investment that I can' Constant product evaluation, training, and stress relief.

After all, just the other night, watching Idol, which by the way, Katherine will not win, I came up with the idea for a new product.

It seems that some people get tired of standing while singing, and just have to sit down. I'm inventing a product I'm calling a chair so they will not have to sit on the floor!:rolleyes:

Doug

Bill Lewis
05-18-2006, 1:46 PM
tod, to answer your question, DVR!

I can turn an hour long show like Idol in to 30 minutes. Most hour long dramas you can knock out 20 minutes of commercials, and watch it at my convienence. News programs are only 5 minutes long, just enough to hear the weather.

It seems that some people get tired of standing while singing, and just have to sit down. But what a job she (KM) did whle sitting down, sideways no less! Probably the hardest way (anatomically) to sing well.

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 2:01 PM
How else can I justify the $500 I spent for the TV and the $55 a month I pay for DirecTV? (Rediculous I know; I'm switching to DishNet and their cheapo pkg sometime soon I hope....

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 2:06 PM
He's history.
Yup, I think so too......I'm curious as to whether it'll be a "brain dead-pull the plug" scenario or a persistant vegitative state. He's got no real family to speak for him. (Oh for crying out loud it's just a TV show!!!):eek:

Tyler Howell
05-18-2006, 2:19 PM
Yup, I think so too......I'm curious as to whether it'll be a "brain dead-pull the plug" scenario or a persistant vegitative state. He's got no real family to speak for him. (Oh for crying out loud it's just a TV show!!!):eek:

Mark, looks like pull the plug. Don't forget about his wayward daughter that turned to a life of crime:eek: .
Talk about soap in the first degree.;)

Mark Pruitt
05-18-2006, 2:31 PM
Don't forget about his wayward daughter that turned to a life of crime:eek: .
Yeah.....that's why I said "real" family......:(

Actually, that scenario is right up the alley of what I deal with regularly. Patients with families that either don't know their wishes or are so much in the thick of the emotional hell they're in that they just can't let go. And then there are the patients with multiple children fighting over their disagreements about "what [name] would want." Fortunately, I'm able to help many patients put their wishes in writing while they're still able....including the designation of certain individuals to speak for them if they are ever unable to speak for themselves.

Now how did I turn this perfectly innocent thread into a soapbox???:rolleyes: Geez...

Joe Pelonio
05-18-2006, 5:51 PM
I was trying to figure out why so many people were addicted to Idol with all the post responses, until I read them and saw that it had morphed to discussion of other shows. Now I do watch the Amazing Race, but that has redeeming foreign and domestic scenery. I have to admit that some of the backstabbing and teammates fighting is fun to watch.

John Miliunas
05-18-2006, 6:13 PM
Well, the LOML and my daughter both watched it religiously. That is, until they booted Chris off. From what little I did see (very little!), Chris had the thing hands down. BUT, a rocker just wouldn't fit into the Top-40/commercial type of format that the show has developed into, so he was toast. :( Hmmmmm....Think I'll go throw some "Tool" into the CD player and go play with my tools! :D :cool:

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2006, 6:20 PM
What surprised me is Jethro on NCIS,[/B]
No reason to watch anymore. Neander, boat builder, sailor guys got it all. Will he come back??

I agree with you Tyler. I did think he was going to lose it when Abby was drunk around his boat a few weeks back. He'll be back. I bet there will be a few episodes with him in Mexico on the beach, but it won't last.
I watch Idol when nothing else is on. That usually means I watch the results part, but miss where they sing. Jim.

Dennis Peacock
05-18-2006, 6:43 PM

Agree. How do you find the time? It strains me to even get time to browse the creek between various workloads at work. Once at home? Who's got time. Oh well....never seen the show and know nothing about it...so no comment on my part. :D

Vaughn McMillan
05-19-2006, 4:50 AM
I only tend to watch Idol during the beginning of the season when they're weeding out all the wannabes. (Some people have absolutely no sense of reality.) After they get down to the people who can actually sing, I lose interest. I've never agreed with musical contests, since musical talent, as an art form, is subjective, not competitive. Also, after several years making a living as a musician, I came to realize that musical ability and talent doesn't necessarily equate to success. There are too many superb musicians who can't make a buck, and too many talentless hacks making it rich. (That's not to say that all successful musicians are talentless hacks by any means, but talent isn't as important as some of the other factors, IMHO.)

The only show I'm currently hooked on is Lost, but I'm usually at least a week behind. I TiVo it and catch up when I have a slice of time. One of the girls at work gets upset with me if I don't stay caught up on the show, because if I don't, she can't talk to me about the whys and wherefores of the current episode.

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
05-19-2006, 6:00 AM
Vaughn, I see Idol a little differently. As the show progresses I see as less and less of a competition. I agree that it always seems like they are putting apples up against oranges and that makes it a bit difficult to judge who is "better". However the ones with the real talent do seem to rise to the top in the end, and even those that don't "win" the "competition" will still have a very good chance of at least a start in a professional singing career, or in entertainment. I was actually very impressed by Kellie Pickler. Lots of raw talent (good looks and personality too), but severely lacked the training to put it together.

As for some of the other shows that have been mentioned...

NCIS, about as far from reality as it gets. My local NCIS agents have testified to that.

Amazing Race. Yea! the good guys aka the "Hippies" won it. My wife and I were attraacted to watch this show because for 3 years we had participated in a local fundraising event that was very similar. A car rally that required solving clues to get to the next point in the race. We almost won it one year too. It was great fun!

Lost! Ok I'm hooked, but I want some answers!

What? no one mentioned Survivor or the L&O's or the CSI's?

I'll admit I probably watch too much TV (the DVR helps to sqeeze it in), but it's pretty well balanced with all of my other activities and projects. I don't get much WW'ing done during warmer months or during the week. I've got my real job that takes a good 11 hours out of my day. That's 9.5 hours of work, and 1 for comuuting if I'm lucky.

Jim Dunn
05-19-2006, 7:44 AM
Is John Wayne back on TV?? Only American Idol that I can remember:) Oh and maybe John Kennedy too.

Tyler Howell
05-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Mark, looks like pull the plug. Don't forget about his wayward daughter that turned to a life of crime:eek: .
Talk about soap in the first degree.;)
:eek: Knock me over with a feather, I thought Brass was a goner:confused: . and the inter office Relationship:eek: Manager and Subordinate:mad: . Not a good thing:confused: The soap continues.
I lost 5 bucks on Brass in the office pool. :o Only thing that makes watching this stuff profitable:rolleyes: :o

Mark Pruitt
05-19-2006, 12:45 PM
:eek: Knock me over with a feather, I thought Brass was a goner:confused: . and the inter office Relationship:eek: Manager and Subordinate:mad: . Not a good thing:confused: The soap continues.
I lost 5 bucks on Brass in the office pool. :o Only thing that makes watching this stuff profitable

Yup, I could not believe it either. I was amused (though totally unsurprised) at how inaccurately they portrayed a "code blue." Believe me, there's a whole LOT more people in the room for that!:eek: Pretty unrealistic also, from a clinical standpoint, that he would be able to converse as early as he did, but then you only have that one episode to cram it all in.:rolleyes: And the relationship.....wow. Sarah's had it bad for Gill for years but I didn't think she'd ever crack that nut. Funny how death/dying issues can turn your whole perspective around when it hits that close to home. I see it all the time. So, what next? I say, Gill and Sarah get hot and heavy, Gill's hearing loss kicks in to the point he has to retire, and they're both gone. But then I'm 0-1 in my predictions, so what do I know?:D

Tyler Howell
05-19-2006, 1:22 PM
Of all the goar on that show, Brass looked like the real deal. Oscar for make-up and acting.
Been elbo deep in body fluids more than once in a past life. Brothers at arms are almost trampled by well meaning comrads. Not to mention all all the regular staff.
Had part of my uniform shirt cut off while I was stablizing a cop/friend with a GSW. Everybody wants to help.
No predictions on Gill and Sarah. Didn't see it coming:eek:

Roger Everett
05-19-2006, 1:41 PM
"American Idol" --I'm single , I don't have to watch stuff like that. Give me an action movie with lots of gore, shoot-em ups, and good car or plane chases. ) 007 lives forever
Roger

Kevin Herber
05-19-2006, 2:42 PM
I agree with you Tyler. I did think he was going to lose it when Abby was drunk around his boat a few weeks back. He'll be back. I bet there will be a few episodes with him in Mexico on the beach, but it won't last.
I watch Idol when nothing else is on. That usually means I watch the results part, but miss where they sing. Jim.

They just like season end cliff hangers. My money is he will take a little time to get his stuff together and be back. If he leaves, the show is toast. Denozo just doesn't have what it takes. I miss Kate but that is Ziva is HOT!!!

-- Kevin

Pete Harbin
05-19-2006, 4:25 PM
Vaughn,

You must be reading my mail man. I love watching the audition episodes of Idol, but once they have it narrowed down, I'm done. The gimicky, corny ones you can tell just want to be on TV, but the best ones are those that think they really have it, but then don't know the words to their song, or sound like a cartoon character. I would never consider myself a cruel person who would find pleasure in someone else's disappointment. I just have to wonder if some of these folks don't have friends that have snowed them. I have to think that it all started at a party one night...

"Dude, let's get Phil to go on American Idol. Tell him he sounds just like..."

The best ones are those who argue with the judges about their decision.

Pete...wondering who Chris, Elliot, and all these other people are...they must be able to sing, or I would have remembered them. :D

Paul Downes
05-19-2006, 10:57 PM
I studied voice for a few years and have been using the show to educate my kids on proper singing techniques. Mcfee or what's her nose, has improved a lot. I almost couldn't stand her at first because she couldn't seem to pronounce any of the words she sang. Taylor on the other hand, has a lot of talent if you can get past his southern lilt. I find him quite entertaining with his Pee-wee Herman nerdy dance moves. I think he will win because of his excentricities and singing talent. My daughter can't stand him and that is reason enough for me to needle her about America Idolizing him. If he pulls it off, I'll have to get her a life sized poster.:D

Curt Fuller
05-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Is John Wayne back on TV?? Only American Idol that I can remember:) Oh and maybe John Kennedy too.

Now yer talkin', Pilgrim.