PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617EVS rusting badly-help

Alan Tolchinsky
09-03-2003, 7:47 PM
Anybody have a problem with this router or any other rusting in place. It oxidizes so badly I can't get it out of the base. I've steel wooled it before and waxed but the rust comes back and it's stuck again. This is turning out to be my most frustrating tool in my shop by far. I've spent at least 3 hrs. just trying to fix the problems with it so far and it's only about 10 11 months old!

Along with a broken switch, this router is giving me doubts about Bosch quality. I wonder why they can't make the housing out of something corrosion proof. Thanks for letting me vent and for any ideas to fix this. BTW my shop is in my basement. Alan in Md.

Terre Hooks
09-03-2003, 9:38 PM
I have three 1617's, (1) 1617 and (2) EVS models.

I have not had any of the corrosion problems that have been posted about on the woodworking forums.

I would suggest that you contact Bosch customer service in Chicago and let them take care of the problem for you.

Good luck. Let me assure you that these routers are the toughest 12 amp routers on the market today. I put these three through a test any woodworking magazine would have loved to have done.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-03-2003, 9:51 PM
I don't have the rust problem with mine...and I've been awfully impressed with the switch. I have switch problems with a lot of tools, but the Bosch router is the one I use for scooping chair seats (that's all I use it for)...and it's turned on and off 42 times per seat. I've probably used it on 250 seats. :)

Now that I've said that, it'll probably go wanky on me.

KC

Bob Marino
09-03-2003, 9:51 PM
Anybody have a problem with this router or any other rusting in place. It oxidizes so badly I can't get it out of the base. I've steel wooled it before and waxed but the rust comes back and it's stuck again. This is turning out to be my most frustrating tool in my shop by far. I've spent at least 3 hrs. just trying to fix the problems with it so far and it's only about 10 11 months old!

Along with a broken switch, this router is giving me doubts about Bosch quality. I wonder why they can't make the housing out of something corrosion proof. Thanks for letting me vent and for any ideas to fix this. BTW my shop is in my basement. Alan in Md.
Alan,

I had the same problem with my 1617 and sent it back to the Bosch repair center and they put on a new cover/housing. Wasn't corroded as badly as yours, but had a problem removing the motor from the housing due to the pitting. I would surely return it and have them replace the appropriate parts.

Otherwise a superb router.

Bob Marino

David LaRue
09-03-2003, 10:49 PM
I have the same router, same problem. Over the past year, I tried to get off the corrosion but to no avail. I tired dryslide to lubricate it, but the aluminum still corrodes and leaves a white oxidation all over the motor housing. It too got stuck in my router base.

Any way to resolve this?

Dave

Alan Tolchinsky
09-03-2003, 11:34 PM
I have the same router, same problem. Over the past year, I tried to get off the corrosion but to no avail. I tired dryslide to lubricate it, but the aluminum still corrodes and leaves a white oxidation all over the motor housing. It too got stuck in my router base.

Any way to resolve this?

Dave

Hi David,

Yours looks a lot shinnier than mine. Seriously, I have a lot more corrosion over the whole motor body. I think the only long term solution is to replace the motor case with a more stable metal. I'll have to get a pic of mine on here.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Alan,

I had the same problem with my 1617 and sent it back to the Bosch repair center and they put on a new cover/housing. Wasn't corroded as badly as yours, but had a problem removing the motor from the housing due to the pitting. I would surely return it and have them replace the appropriate parts.

Otherwise a superb router.

Bob Marino

Hi Bob, Yes I agree this router works superbly. But it's a shame that these other negative things make owning it less than a happy affair. I have a Bosch sander that just works perfectly with no switch problems and not corrosion either. I hope Bosch repairs this thing and makes it more useable again.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-03-2003, 11:44 PM
I don't have the rust problem with mine...and I've been awfully impressed with the switch. I have switch problems with a lot of tools, but the Bosch router is the one I use for scooping chair seats (that's all I use it for)...and it's turned on and off 42 times per seat. I've probably used it on 250 seats. :)

Now that I've said that, it'll probably go wanky on me.

KC

Hey KC,

I think most of these problems are caused by using this in the router table. When my switch failed, I took it apart and found a teaspoon of saw dust in it. I cleaned it out and it has worked perfectly since. But it's not sealed well enough for router table use so I just put tape over the switch. I don't think this would happen with "out of the table" use.

I also feel you may get more corrosion while table mounted. Could the wood be reacting with the metal? I don't know but I don't use green wood with this router. :) Even though you'd think so by looking at it.

Alan in Md.

Eric Laliberte
09-04-2003, 8:27 AM
Alan,

What you've got is one of the earilier 1617's. I was a engineer on routers for Bosch for a while (can't take credit for the 1617 though). The engineer who did this one forgot/didn't know that magnesium oxidizes. Not too long after production started they realized their problem and found a coating that prevents this. The product manager for routers set this up as a free warranty fix. That was 2-3 years ago. I'd take it to a service center and see if they'll replace it. Let me know if you have any problems and I'll put you in touch with "The Man".

Enjoy,

Eric

JayStPeter
09-04-2003, 8:32 AM
I used to write glowing reviews of mine, until I had to start pounding the motor out of the bases. I use #00000 steel wool and paste wax, but it only works for about a week. So, in my case, I pretty much have to do it every time I use it.
I've taken to keeping the motor out of any bases and cleaning and waxing the motor before using it. That's the only real way to avoid skinned knuckles.
I've had no other problems, and really like the router when it's not stuck in the bases. I've only used mine table mounted a few times
I will try contacting Bosch when I get my shop out of storage (hopefully next month).

Jay St. Peter

Kent Cori
09-04-2003, 9:43 AM
I have mine mounted in my router table pretty much full time and have not (yet?) experienced any switch problems. I love the router. I do spray the base with Boeshield T-9 which I use on all my cast iron tool surfaces too. This stuff has worked great here in very humid Florida even though my tools are all in my garage. :) Give it a try!

Bert Johansen
09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
With a basement shop, I expect you have a serious moisture problem. Have you considered a dehumidifier? Mine runs continuously and keeps the shop dry.

David LaRue
09-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Alan,

I'd take it to a service center and see if they'll replace it.

Eric

I callled the local service center, they said drop it off and they will fix it under warranty.. will have it back in a few days. I just hope they will accept this one since it is several years old.

Dave

Alan Tolchinsky
09-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Alan,

What you've got is one of the earilier 1617's. I was a engineer on routers for Bosch for a while (can't take credit for the 1617 though). The engineer who did this one forgot/didn't know that magnesium oxidizes. Not too long after production started they realized their problem and found a coating that prevents this. The product manager for routers set this up as a free warranty fix. That was 2-3 years ago. I'd take it to a service center and see if they'll replace it. Let me know if you have any problems and I'll put you in touch with "The Man".

Enjoy,

Eric

Eric, Thanks for the info. Do you know what kind of coating was applied? Was it a spray on type or something else? I'm just wondering if this coating will just be scraped off during use. Thanks again for the info.

Alan

Eric Laliberte
09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Alan,

I'm not sure exactly what the coat was, but I believe that it may have plated on. I do remember that it was tough. I also know that after they added it the number of complaints about this issue dropped.

Eric

Alan Tolchinsky
09-04-2003, 1:49 PM
Alan,

I'm not sure exactly what the coat was, but I believe that it may have plated on. I do remember that it was tough. I also know that after they added it the number of complaints about this issue dropped.

Eric

Eric, Thanks for the info. Now back to sanding. Alan in Md.

JayStPeter
09-04-2003, 4:55 PM
David,

Let me know if it works out. Mine is close to a couple years old as well.

Steven Mendes
09-05-2003, 8:02 AM
I have just aquired a 1617EVS used for $25.00 in good condition. Only thing is it is missing collets, wrenches and adapter. If anyone has an old broken down 1617 collecting saw dust under the work bench I would be happy to take it off your hands. Please email me at
steven_mendes@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Steve

David LaRue
09-16-2003, 5:32 PM
David,

Let me know if it works out. Mine is close to a couple years old as well.

Great news. I just picked up my 1617 from the local Bosch repair center, and the router looks almost brand new. They covered the repair no questions asked for no charge (freebie). Thanks all for the heads up on the repair, and thanks Bosch for taking care of it. :)

Happy Camper LaRue :cool: :D

Bruce Page
09-16-2003, 8:17 PM
Great news. I just picked up my 1617 from the local Bosch repair center, and the router looks almost brand new. They covered the repair no questions asked for no charge (freebie). Thanks all for the heads up on the repair, and thanks Bosch for taking care of it. :)

Happy Camper LaRue :cool: :D

David, what exactly did the repair shop do to fix it? Did they replace the housing or just polish it up? If they just cleaned it up, it seems to me that your corrosion problem will return.

David LaRue
09-16-2003, 10:31 PM
David, what exactly did the repair shop do to fix it? Did they replace the housing or just polish it up? If they just cleaned it up, it seems to me that your corrosion problem will return.

I assume that they replaced the housing. Since there are witness marks on the screws, and no scratches on the housing (which I had from moving it up and down in the bases).

I had previously tried polishing it and spraying it with lacquer, but the corrosion did return. Hopefully, the corrosion will not return again. :)

Dave

Alan Tolchinsky
09-18-2003, 3:02 PM
and Ellis at Wood Central. Bosch came through and replaced the motor housing on my router. Thanks to all here for your help and I'll post how this motor case does as time goes by. Thank you Bosch and Chris Carlson for your help. Alan in Md.