PDA

View Full Version : dishwasher will not spin.

Bob Weisner
05-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I noticed a strange noise , sort of a pearcing or wining noising coming from the dishwasher when I started it up. I stoped the dishwasher and drained the water. When I pulled up the screan, I noticed it and the agitator were clogged with junk. I cleaned them out and started the dishwasher again. same thing happened. So, I just left the thing run until the wash cycle was over.I opened the dishwasher and saw that the soap slide down the front door and was left on some of the plates undisolved.

From what I can tell, the spinning mechanism or whatever it is called, is not spinning. I think the plastic gear is stripped. The dishwasher is 3 or 4 years old. Is it worth getting repaired , or should I just buy a new dishwasher?

How is the Whirlpool dishwasher rated?

Thanks,

Randy Meijer
05-18-2006, 1:02 AM
I have an older dishwasher and the spinny thing is operated entirely by water pressure. When the holes get clogged up, no water pressure, no spinny. Maybe you just need to clean out the spinny??

Joe Pelonio
05-18-2006, 8:06 AM
I have an older dishwasher and the spinny thing is operated entirely by water pressure. When the holes get clogged up, no water pressure, no spinny. Maybe you just need to clean out the spinny??
Agreed, had that problem too. The holes in the arms that spin were clogged, they come off easily to clean. When you don't have the food grinding feature you have to tell people to rinse before putting the dishes in. Especially popcorn. The "old maids" will plug the holes every time. Also
peas.

Bill Lewis
05-18-2006, 8:36 AM
What Randy said, but if that's not it, it could be that your pump isn't pumping, or it's just not pumping enough.

Kyle Kraft
05-18-2006, 9:13 AM
My dishwasher spinny thing likes to get plugged up with plastic debris which gets into the dw from outer space.

Kyle in K'zoo

Tyler Howell
05-18-2006, 9:43 AM
Try running a cycle with a cup of vinegar (sp?) in the DW.
Check all the traps for crud

Jerry Clark
05-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you have junk in the pump-- should be able to get to it from inside the washer-- good luck!

Lopaka Garcia
05-21-2006, 7:12 AM
If you have an appliance parts store in your area, they sell appliance manuals for different makes and model of appliances. Find the manual that applies to your dishwasher and it'll have exploded diagrams of how parts go together within the dishwasher. Whether it's an agitator dog or regular plastic gears within the spinning mechanism, they are easily replaceable. Dogs are kidney shaped gears that grab in one direction but not in the other. Not sure what your dishwasher has. You might even be able to ask the tech guy at the store and given the model of your dishwasher and an explanation of what's going on, he can bring up a diagram on his computer that shows what part is the culprit. Good luck.