PDA

View Full Version : Help with Computer desk design problem

Gene Collison
09-03-2003, 7:38 PM
Hi Guys, I need a little help. I am building two 4' long computer desks that will sit side by side. I am going to build detached drawer units with CPU holder on wheels for each desk, it's a spinoff of a Rockler plan. The desk carcass is simple, two 3/4" oak ply sides with a 4 foot stretcher connecting the two sides about 3/4 of the way back. A face in front cutout for a drawer and an electrical outlet to plug peripherals, made from the same oak ply. On the top of the carcass sides at 90 degrees I have attached two inch rails on each side to secure the desk top. Now the problem, the top is made from oak grain melamine. I have virtually no experience with melamine desk top attachment. What is the best way to attach the top and what hardware do I use. I have 2 inch confirmat screws and hi-lo screws from Rockler. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.

Gene

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-05-2003, 5:03 PM
I attach tops like this much like a kitchen counter top. Screws blocks in the corners of the drawer banks, then drive screws thru the blocks to secure the top.

ken gibbs
02-25-2008, 6:50 AM
Can anybody post a source that shows "standard" clearance dimensions for a desk to house a home PC? I am asking for "standard" heights for leg clearance, dimentions for drawers, etc. for instance, electrical outlets are normally mounted at 14" off of the floor in a residential home. Thanks.

Ken Gibbs

Gary R Verbanic sr
02-29-2008, 8:15 PM
Can anybody post a source that shows "standard" clearance dimensions for a desk to house a home PC? I am asking for "standard" heights for leg clearance, dimentions for drawers, etc. for instance, electrical outlets are normally mounted at 14" off of the floor in a residential home. Thanks.

Ken Gibbs

You may find what your looking for here........http://www.woodworkingplansfree.com/desk_plans.html :D