PDA

View Full Version : book recommendation, how to make a handplane

Zahid Naqvi
05-17-2006, 8:10 PM
If there was only one book I could buy on making a wooden handplane what should it be. The one I am inclined towards is

Making & Mastering Wood Planes by David Finck, James Krenov

followed by
Wooden Planes And How To Make Them by David G. Perch and Robert S. Lee

I finally got a Hock blade for a wooden plane and that is the next shop project.

Mike Wenzloff
05-17-2006, 8:16 PM
Neat, Zahid.

Both good books. Maybe let us see your creation when you are finished?

Take care, Mike

Brent Smith
05-17-2006, 9:35 PM
I agree, they are both good. I would tend to lean towards Finck's book though. I find it a bit more detailed and complete.

Dick Latshaw
05-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Another vote for David Finck's book. I have an autographed copy. Most detailed description of how to build a plane. Order from his web site so he gets an extra nickel. He's a good guy. I have seen his personal collection of planes that he has built and uses, and they are perfection.

Zahid Naqvi
05-18-2006, 1:03 PM
Another vote for David Finck's book. I have an autographed copy. Most detailed description of how to build a plane. Order from his web site so he gets an extra nickel. He's a good guy. I have seen his personal collection of planes that he has built and uses, and they are perfection.

what's the URL, I couldn't find it.

Mike Wenzloff
05-18-2006, 1:22 PM
He's jazzed it up with flash,
http://www.davidfinck.com/

Take care, Mike

Wendell Wilkerson
05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
The book I like is "Making Traditional Wooden Planes" by John M. Whelan. It covers more traditional methods for making wooden planes (never would've guessed that from the title would ya? :p ) as opposed to the Krenov style planes. This is really personal preference on my part because I like traditional style planes better. I will say that if you want to build a Krenov style plane, David Finck provides very good instructions. The Perch & Lee covers similar material to the Whelan book, but I like the presentation of the material in the Whelan book better. Personally, I'll buy almost any book I can find on plane making. Another interesting book is "Fifty Years A Planemaker and User"
By Cecil E. Pierce. He made an interesting style of wooden plane that I don't see being copied. The book is a good read but not really a step by step guide on making planes.

Wendell

Charlie Mastro
05-19-2006, 11:57 AM
He's jazzed it up with flash,
http://www.davidfinck.com/

Take care, Mike

Did anyone else have problems getting this to load. After 6 minutes I gave up.:confused:

Mike Henderson
05-19-2006, 1:50 PM
Loads okay for me, Charlie. What type of communications do you have there? Are you on dial up or some high speed communications (DSL or cable)?

I'll also mention another good book on making planes - both wood and metal. The book is hard to find, however. It's "Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools" by Jim Kingshott.

Especially good if you want to make an infill plane from scratch.

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
05-19-2006, 2:58 PM
Well amazon has the book through a third party reseller.
Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0946819327/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/102-4190394-8040909?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155)
Mike, Wendell, thanks for your advice guys.

Loads okay for me, Charlie. What type of communications do you have there? Are you on dial up or some high speed communications (DSL or cable)?

I'll also mention another good book on making planes - both wood and metal. The book is hard to find, however. It's "Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools" by Jim Kingshott.

Especially good if you want to make an infill plane from scratch.

Mike

Michael Morin dit Boucher
05-19-2006, 4:56 PM
Zahid,

I think everyone has mentioned all the books that I have. The Whelan book is excellent as is the Finck book. The Pierce book is a great reference and he talks about acquiring the right kind of steel for you planes.

One other suggestion?...buy old planes...and use them for study. Once you start one you won't want to quit until you are finished. I am working on a Finck clone now and will share when I finish it.

In summary, arm yourself with all the books mentioned...buy old planes...study and come up with some of your own details that make the plane unique....and by all means have fun!!!:cool:

C.R. Miller
05-20-2006, 11:26 AM
I did a short review of some of these books for Handplane Central. If anyone is interested you can check it out at http://www.handplane.com/archives/46