PDA

View Full Version : Not to be a Square, but

Raymond Overman
05-17-2006, 7:03 PM
This piece is from a scrap of maple board. The texture was done, black gesso was applied and dried, then it was sanded through to show and enhance the texture.

4" x 4" x 1/2"
Maple, black gesso
Laquer

Lee DeRaud
05-17-2006, 7:17 PM
Very nice!!

But that's dangerously close to "flat-work"...watch out that these guys don't try to have your cult membership revoked.:eek:

(They can't threaten me, I'm a known heretic. :cool: )

Corey Hallagan
05-17-2006, 7:18 PM
That is cool Raymond, nice job, I love these squared projects like this. Your detailing looks great!

Corey

Mark Cothren
05-17-2006, 7:30 PM
Like the texturing a lot, Raymond! How about a profile shot if you have one??

Raymond Overman
05-17-2006, 8:04 PM
Here's the profile and bottom Mark. Lee, don't worry about me sliding into the flat side any time soon. I'm firmly dedicated to the turning side.

Frank Chaffee
05-17-2006, 8:36 PM
Terrific Raymond,
I really like seeing these new forms being explored.
Frank

Don Orr
05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Nicely done Raymond, as is all your work. This little piece speaks volumes of your technical capabilities and creativity. The light/dark contrast is excellent. I love the way you framed the textured area with subtle details. The beautiful surface of the non-textured area. Obvious that some thought went into this. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Interesting look, Raymond. Another winner!

Bruce

Raymond Overman
05-17-2006, 11:25 PM
This little piece speaks volumes of your technical capabilities and creativity.

Don, the technical portion is what I was working on for this piece. As for creativity, this pales in comparison to the inspirational pieces Al Stirt turns in this style. It could use a little refining on the bottom too. Of course, I'm my own worse critic as I'm sure we all are.

Thanks for all the comments guys. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice. Practice. Practice.

Barry Stratton
05-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice. Practice. Practice.

I didn't know you played music too! Wow, a multi-faceted artist.

Great piece! I really like the texture.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-18-2006, 1:19 AM
Excellent work Raymond! Excellent!