PDA

View Full Version : Frame cutting sled (45*)

Nissim Avrahami
05-17-2006, 5:27 PM
Good day

My name is niki and its my first post in your very, very active forum.
I live in Poland (after Israel and Japan) and I’m an amateur.

I would like to share with you a different way (to my knowledge) of making 45* frames.

Instead of messing with angles and protractors, I’m using big dedicated triangle.

The cutting method is “Left” and “Right” of the blade to overcome any small deviations from 45*.

The rest is on the pictures.

One important point:
As you will see, the blade will cut ½ kerf width at every cut, and because we are cutting each frame member from both sides, the member length will be reduced by 1 kerf width.
To make it clear, if your blade kerf is 1/8”, and you are planing a frame of, say, 20” x 20”, cut your members to, what I call in the pictures “final dimensions” of, 20-1/8” so after the cutting the will be 20”.

Regards
niki

Nissim Avrahami
05-17-2006, 5:29 PM
Part 2 pictures

Jerry Strojny
05-17-2006, 5:32 PM
Great idea. And way cheaper than a manufactured one.

Michael Ballent
05-17-2006, 6:41 PM
Now that is very clever :D and thank you for using inches instead of mm ;) :D Thanks for sharing!!! One question what is the red looking tape?

Nissim Avrahami
05-17-2006, 6:54 PM
Thank you for the comments

Michael
The red and/or the blue tapes are “anti-skid” tapes which come with glue (you just peel the paper), in Japan they come in 3 feet length for $1.
About the inches, I was working all my life with both methods (9/16” is “visual” for me).

niki

Allen Bookout
05-17-2006, 7:17 PM
Very good report! Good, clear explanations are a difficult thing to do. Even I could follow the directions. Allen

Sam Chambers
05-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Niki:

A very cool, clever and cheap idea! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Tom Jones III
05-18-2006, 2:43 PM
Great first post! Thanks for the clear and detailed explanation.

Sam Blanchard
05-18-2006, 4:08 PM
I've been lurking for a while and the learning is terrific. But now I have to chime in - that's one cool sled.

Niki:

Until photo #6, I don't see a clamp, then voila! clamp appears.
Can you describe how the clamps attach to the sled?

thx

Sam

Nissim Avrahami
05-18-2006, 5:45 PM
Sorry Sam Blanchard
Here it is

Take a clamp, remove the fixed jaw, weld it to angle iron, make two holes and screw it on whatever you want.

niki

John Miliunas
05-18-2006, 6:23 PM
Nissim, all I can say is, "WOW"!!! What a super, information-packed first post! :D I see no less than 3 really neat additions for my shop. Wonderful ideas! :) Welcome to the Creek, my friend and I certainly hope we'll be seeing more of your skills, tips and tricks. Well done! :) :cool:

Don Selke
05-18-2006, 7:08 PM
Nissim:

Welcome to the Creek and excillent post and mitre sled. I printed out your post and will be making the jig some time in the fall when temperatures in Phoenix cool down. 104 here today, still better then shoveling snow;) ;)

DS

Nissim Avrahami
05-18-2006, 7:12 PM
Thank you John, Don and Don

It’s all MY pleasure that you and all the others found it helpful.

I’ll post more of my jigs and aids. Just please remember that I’m an amateur and so are my jigs.

Thanks
niki

Don Baer
05-18-2006, 7:13 PM
Niki,
Thanks for the informative post and welcome to the creek.

Howard Rosenberg
05-18-2006, 8:49 PM
Very inventive jigs.

Do you have photos of some of your projects?

Where in Poland do you live? My father was born in Radom.

L'Heet.
Howard

Sam Blanchard
05-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Niki -

Absolutely no need to be sorry. I was hoping to get a word or 2 of explanation and you included another great photo! Thanks very much.\\

Sam

Nissim Avrahami
05-19-2006, 1:48 AM
That’s not a warm welcome.

That’s HOT welcome!

Thank you so much.

I was a little bit reluctant, as an amateur, to post in your so professional forum but now I’m sorry that I did not do it earlier.

Because of the time difference (your PM is my early AM) my replies may be late but, I’ll reply to every question.

Howard, yes, I have pictures of projects and I’ll post them. I live in Garwolin (Garvolin), 30 miles south of Warsaw (Varshava), I passed through Radom ones but never visited.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

niki

Vaughn McMillan
05-19-2006, 1:56 AM
Niki, allow me to add another "Welcome to the Creek" to the list. As you can see, there's no need to be reluctant about posting, and we have members from all over the world, so the time difference will not seem like much. (Sometimes I post very late or very early, and they still haven't asked me to leave.) ;)

I'll be looking forward to seeing more posts and pictures from you.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
05-19-2006, 8:56 AM
That’s not a warm welcome.

That’s HOT welcome!

Thank you so much.

I was a little bit reluctant, as an amateur, to post in your so professional forum but now I’m sorry that I did not do it earlier.

Because of the time difference (your PM is my early AM) my replies may be late but, I’ll reply to every question.

Howard, yes, I have pictures of projects and I’ll post them. I live in Garwolin (Garvolin), 30 miles south of Warsaw (Varshava), I passed through Radom ones but never visited.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

niki

Niki, "professional forum"????? :confused: If that were the case, there's no way on God's green Earth these folks would allow me to post anything here!!! :eek: EVERYONE, from pro to absolute beginner is welcome here at the Creek! I guarantee you that, even though it may sometimes look like it, not a single one of us was born with a hand plane in their hand nor, did our parents receive a 3-phase planer as a shower gift! Not even Dev's folks! :D Personally, I'm a rank amateur to WW and I thank my lucky stars for this wonderful forum and having the opportunity to glean wisdom off of so many more skilled and talented than myself, you inclusive! :) The "secret" to the success of SMC is due to folks, such as yourself, who are willing to share. Not just success stories but, problems, issues with machines or processes, design questions, high-buck and low-buck solutions and even personal wins and losses. It's what makes this a community and for some, like myself, a true extension of family! :) For me, it's my morning cup of coffee and my evening cocktail. :D I sincerely hope that you find your stay here equally as pleasant and choose to stick around for a long, long time! Thanks again for your wonderful input! :) :cool:

David Eisenhauer
05-19-2006, 9:22 AM
Thanks for the ideas. The jig seems to be a very straightforward (meets the KISS Keep It Simple Stupid priciple) and highly usable jig. I also liked the band clamp "corners" with the integral keepers. What is a "pro"? What is an "amature"? Not real sure of the relevance to most of us, but we welcome you and your "amature" ideas.

Nissim Avrahami
05-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Thank you all for the encouragement.

Now I REALY feel at home

niki