PDA

View Full Version : Plum Tree Wood

Glenn Hodges
05-17-2006, 5:05 PM
When I was a young boy in South Georgia walking home from school in the late spring the trip would take much more time because of all the wild plum trees beside the road. Alas they are just about all gone, and our youth will never know the pleasures of eating wild plums again. Wood borers have killed them all. The natural enemy of the woodborer was eliminated by all the spraying of the crops by farmers. After this tree died a death from the dreaded borers this one was given to me by a friend. I think the wood is some of the prettiest we have in this area, but like the fruit, it is vanishing.

Mike Ramsey
05-17-2006, 5:27 PM
Let me be the first to say, that looks plum good!
Fantastic pieces Glenn! Nice to hear a story behind the wood!

Vaughn McMillan
05-17-2006, 5:28 PM
Those all look great, Glenn. I particularly like #906 and the very uneven edge.

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
05-17-2006, 5:34 PM
I agree with Vaughn. 906 looks like it's mis-shapen. I know it's not, but it's still cool.

Nice work, Glenn.

tod evans
05-17-2006, 5:38 PM
plum purdy! nice job glenn!

Michael Stafford
05-17-2006, 6:07 PM
You are right about that. Beautiful Glenn. I never knew that the wood from plum trees was so colorful.

I too dawdled on the way home from school. One house along the way, inhabited by a mean ole widder woman, had pears that fell on the ground. She would rather they rot than let us kids have them. Of course we still took her pears. Then there was a peach orchard owned by the meanest and richest man in the county. He also would rather have his fruit rot than let us kids have one. I ate many a warm peach running down the road... But the plum trees along the fence line belonged to no one and we ate them to our heart's content. My grandmother made wonderful plum jelly. I am glad to see a tree that holds so many childhood memories for us both turned into a thing of beauty.

Jim Ketron
05-17-2006, 6:20 PM
Beautiful Bowls Glenn!
Simply Beautiful!:eek:

Travis Stinson
05-17-2006, 6:49 PM
Beautiful turnings as usual Glenn. I especially like the flared rims of 906 and 908. Very classy and elegant.:cool:

John Timberlake
05-17-2006, 6:52 PM
Love the wood and your turnings. Especially like the second one. Really interesting edges. Bet it was a trill to turn.

George Conklin
05-17-2006, 7:09 PM
Those are some of the most beautiful bowls I've ever seen, Glen. That wood is spectauclar:) .

Corey Hallagan
05-17-2006, 7:20 PM
Wow, today is the day for fantastic bowls. This is top drawer all the way. Spectacular NE Bowl!

Corey

Mark Cothren
05-17-2006, 7:28 PM
Glenn, your work is always impressive and these are true to form. Great, great bowls! Beautiful wood for sure, but you've put it on display in a great way! Keep it up!

Frank Chaffee
05-17-2006, 8:26 PM
Wonderful turnings Glenn. Your eye for what was in the 906 is commendable.
Frank

Curt Fuller
05-17-2006, 8:53 PM
Those are all beautiful bowls from some incredible wood. What a great way to preserve the childhood memory too.

Glenn Hodges
05-17-2006, 9:16 PM
You people are overwhelming with your positive comments. I guess you think I am stuck on natural edge turning. I like turning NE with wood like this because it really does a great job of showing off the color and grain patterns of the wood. In the plum the red, purple, and other bright colors are not only right under the bark, but are found on some pieces throughout. I forgot to mention I used lacquer as a finish on all these NE bowls as I have started doing on all my NE pieces because I have found that no one uses them for stews or soup. For me lacquer pops the grain just right for me, and it gives good protection. It is so nice to find wood like this in our own neighborhood. Thanks again everyone.

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Glenn they are just PLUM Beautiful. I like'em all Glenn.

Don Orr
05-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Wonderful work to go with a wonderful story.

Keith Burns
05-18-2006, 8:31 AM
Great pieces Glenn ! If I had to pick one for you to send me, it would be #908 but they are all spectacular:) :)

Paul Downes
05-18-2006, 8:50 PM
Hey Glenn, those are indeed beautiful bowls. When you refer to wild plum, do you mean sugar plum? My in-laws have lots of them growing on their property in Michigan's U.P. I might have to accidentally cut some down if they look that nice.:D

Ernie Nyvall
05-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh man, those are some wonderful bowls Glenn.

We have plenty of wild plums over here, but I have never seen one that big.

Ernie

Dick Parr
05-19-2006, 5:46 AM
They all look wonderful Glenn. That is some pretty wood and I love your finish on them.

Ed Scolforo
05-19-2006, 6:08 AM
Glenn: All beautiful NE's. That wood is striking. I especially like #906.
Ed

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2006, 8:33 AM
Glenn...........I really like NEs and I especially like these plum ones you've turned! Gorgeous!