PDA

View Full Version : Clear Vue cyclones

Adam Grills
05-17-2006, 4:15 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to Sawmill Creek. So here is my first post.
I am interested in feedback on how people like their Clear Vue cyclones. I am doing research on making my own Bill Pentz style or buying a Clear Vue. I am looking for any recommendations. My first 2 quotes for making cyclone only came in at $2300 and $2000 Canadian. (I am in Ontario).
Adam

tod evans
05-17-2006, 4:32 PM
welcome adam! i don`t own a clearvue but ed has `em listed for 9 bills american on his website..tod

Glen Gunderson
05-17-2006, 4:47 PM
I've e-mailed Ed about the Clearvue and shipping it to Canada. Until recently, he offered free shipping to Canada, but that's since changed probably because he was getting burned on the extra costs. Now he takes the full shipping charge, subtracts his average American shipping charge (around $70) and you pay the difference. That way, you still get the same savings as his American customers, but you do have to pay the extra. He's located in South Carolina and he quoted me $100 ($170-$70) for shipping to BC. I imagine it would be considerably less to ship to Ontario. Then you'll have to pay GST, PST, and brokerage fees of around $60 (the fee that UPS or FedEx charges you for them paying your tax bill at the border).

On top of the cyclone, you'll need a switch and filters. You can get filters at a Camfil Farr location, though I'm not sure if they ship. You're probably looking at another $200 including tax for these.

I've figured the total cost for the Clearvue cyclone to Canada to be a little under $1600 CDN after all is said and done. I've also figured out total costs for Oneidas to be shipped, and the 3HP Gorilla comes in over $2000 CDN after all expenses, so the Clearvue is a fairly good deal. Even the crappiest import cyclones sell for over $1000 plus tax, so I would definitely consider it.

Steve Clardy
05-17-2006, 5:07 PM
Welcome Adam!!

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2006, 5:23 PM
Welcome Adam!! I have the ClearVue, but still don't have it up and running yet. :mad: I bought a box and contactor last night, have about 1/3 of my ducting done, and still need to get the electrical turned on to the shop. I can tell you this...Ed is a class act to work with. None finer in my book. I'm sure several owners will chime in here with their thoughts. I've read several reports from people who loved it. Jim.

Phil Winn
05-17-2006, 5:46 PM
and have had it up and running for a year+ or so. Simply, I love it.
Great product. Great company. Great price. Works great. What else is there?
Phil

Jamie Buxton
05-17-2006, 6:19 PM
Welcome, Adam.

Unlike many places on the web, SMC has a search function which works well. Cyclones and Clear-Vue have been discussed a lot here, and you can find those discussions using Search.

Adam Grills
05-18-2006, 8:34 AM
What about grounding and static build up using the plastic?
Adam

Matt Moore
05-18-2006, 9:07 AM
What about grounding and static build up using the plastic?
Adam

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Ducting.cfm#StaticElectricity

Ed Lang
05-18-2006, 9:10 AM
I have a Clear Vue and cut a lot of MDF on the CNC router. I have yet to get MDF dust out of the filters so it does work! I use a 55 gal plastic drum with a foam gasket on top and a 3/4" ply top that just sits on top of the drum. When the cyclone starts it sucks the ply down tight and you will not be able to pry it off without tools!

I run 6" S&D pipe in my shop. I don't like to get shocked when working so I did run a "drain" wire around the outside of the pipe. I connected it to the shop ground and the static is GONE. If your flex hose that will connect to the machines has a wire in the coils I would connect that as well. If your hose has plastic in the ribs you can just wrap wire around the outside.

I would buy another Clearvue without thought and I would run plastic pipe again.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-18-2006, 9:36 AM
Hi Adam, WELCOME!!

Where abouts in BC, I'm from Kelowna, a while back.

I don't have a ClearVue, but I built a Pentz cyclone and just love it.

I have all PVC ducting and I've never had a shock.

Cheers!

Richard Danckaert
05-18-2006, 8:38 PM
Hi Adam,

I just picked up a Clear Vue Cyclone a few months back.The cost was $1040 Cdn plus approx. $270 Cdn for taxes and brokerage fees.Hoping to install this weekend so I can't comment on the performance.Ed was great to deal with.I debated for a while on the build Vs. buy like yourself,then decided to go with the Clear Vue based on price and the opinions of some fellow Creekers.I probably would have had about the same money into one that I would have built.Work is busy so a few more OT hours paid for it.Seemed the way to go with the added bonus of a good exchange rate on the Cdn dollar.

Rich

Adam Grills
05-31-2006, 1:46 PM
Thank you for the response everyone. I did order a Clear Vue. It took 2hr to put together incl the wall bracket. It was a sinch to put together. Unfortunately they mistakenly shipped me a LH cyclone in a RH box. I called Ed the next day and he sent another out that day. What amazing customer service!!!!!!! It took only 6 days and it was at my door.
I spent about 5 months researching cyclones- Bill Pentz design is the best out there that I could find. I set out to make my own, but after lots of research found that it is costing me $250 CAN more to buy the clear vue (even after shipping, taxes, etc.) and all I have to do is put it together. I geat deal if you ask me. So far so good. Installing duct work over the next week or so. I will write back after she is running in the shop.

Glen Gunderson
05-31-2006, 2:17 PM
Just curious, what did you have to pay for brokerage/taxes? Also, where are you getting your filters? I'd be very interested to hear someone's experience setting up a Clearvue in Canada.

Ed Lang
05-31-2006, 2:59 PM
The Clear Vue is still running great in my shop. I have cut a fair amount of MDF on the CNC Router and the filters are yet to have anything in them. I do get tired of dumping the 55 gal. drum I use for the dust bin.

:D

Julio Navarro
05-31-2006, 4:58 PM
Hey Adam, congrats on your purchase of the clearview. Let us know how you duct it and dont forget to take pics!

Larry Cooke
06-01-2006, 1:47 AM
Hello Adam and welcome to SMC!

I just got mine today - as in just off the truck a little while ago. I can't speak for it's perfomance yet and won't be able to for a while yet. Still waiting for my contactor, will start hanging it next weekend and then comes the ducting. I will say that so far everything has gone very smooth, Ed has been great to deal with so far, as others have said he's first class all the way.

I don't think you'd regret ordering a Clearvue at all.

Larry

Adam Grills
06-02-2006, 1:47 PM
Hi,
For the Canadian people out there and questions about shipping, duty etc. There is no duty on the Clear Vue, I will pay GST / PST and $55Can broker fee (FEDEX), and the $50USD shipping that Ed is charging me. As per my phone conversations with FEDEX - they will bill me, but I have yet to get it.
I currently have a LH cyclone in my shop as Ed shipped a LH cyclone in a RH box oops. He has been great about it- no questions asked and sent a RH that day. It will be here Monday according to my tracking number.

He has been awsome customer and technical support as well as Bill Pentz. Can't comment on performance yet but I have yet to read a negative anywhere on the net- Only positive!

I won't have it up and running for a couple of weeks as I am tearing out my 2 fuse pannels and 100amp service - upgrading to 200amp and breaker pannel. Installing 6" spiral pipe overhead. I will be taking pic's and will post them when its done- Please feel free to email or post for any other questions- agrills@hpedsb.on.ca- If you are close by you are welcome to take a look.

Thank you for everyone's help throughout my cyclone adventure.
Adam

Adam Grills
10-25-2006, 8:38 AM
I am still in progress but I have everything ready to install. Decided on getting 16g spiral pipe - not that much more than plastic. I have filters on, MDF parts are painted black. I have a full size steel drum under it now that I lifted the unit up higher. Made a remote control for it. Everything is runnning well. I have been side tracked this summer- building an indoor horse arena. So the piping has been postponed. I plan to get back at it soon.
Adam

Adam Grills
01-24-2007, 9:18 PM
Sorry for the mess of the shop. Got to many projects on the go at the same time. AHHHH. Here is the clear vue up and running. I am posting a gallery on Eds site for anyone interested in seeing more. www.clearvuecyclones.com. (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com.)55928 I will be posting a number of pictures over the next week.
Adam

David Less
01-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Adam,

I used the Clear vue cyclone and built everything else due to my low ceiling. I'm very happy with it. Take a look on the clearvue web sight and you can see my step by step build process.

David

http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/albums/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone/DSC01369.sized.jpg

Burt Alcantara
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
David,
I enjoyed looking at your album on the ClearVue gallery. One thing I'm not clear about is your open filter design. It seems that the output is going thru a muffler, then into a dust box and finally out thru the filters.

Since the filters are responsible for trapping the flour (?), what prevents it from blowing up past the filters?

Since I just got the ClearVue assembled without ducting or a tested trash collector, I'm very curious how your design works.

Thanks,
Burt

Jameel Abraham
01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
The flour can't get past the filters, because the tops of the filters are not open.

David, Do you think the intake on your dust box will be a problem since it will stir up the dust that settles everytime you turn the DC on? The typical configuration from the CV instructions has the dust box at the bottom, and because of air the down and out air pressure, any dust thats in the bottom would generally stay there. Any thoughts?

Jim O'Dell
01-25-2007, 1:28 PM
Burt, I was going to say the same thing as Jameel, I'm just slower!:rolleyes: I think the ideal way would be to blow down into the filters witht the dust trap at the bottom, but some installations require some different thinking. It might stur up what settles there, but if anything, it would either be caught up in the filters, or settle back down when the system is turned off for a while. Maybe if the plenum at the bottom before the fitlers had a plexiglass or lexan cover on the front, you could see what might be collectiing and clean it out as need be.
As a side note, I've had power on in the shop for about 2 months now. I only have the Clear Vue hooked up to the TS, but just got the 4" flex off back order this month, and need to get the BS hooked up to play with it. If all goes well this weekend, I might get to spend some time in the shop!! It sure keeps my contractor saw picup up chute and cabinet clean! Jim.

Burt Alcantara
01-25-2007, 6:47 PM
The reason I thougt the top was open was this picture. It isn't totally clear that the top is opened or closed.

http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone/DSC01286

David built every part from scratch, except, presumably, the filters.

MIne looks positively early Big-Bang compared to Dave's.

Burt

Adam Grills
04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Not a picture of my cyclone- someone elses. But the Air exits the blower into the muffler into the cleanout and the filter in this application are upside down. The botom- or the top of the filters in this case are closed so the air is forced through the filters.
Adam

Brad Gobble
04-28-2007, 1:48 AM
Adam,

I used the Clear vue cyclone and built everything else due to my low ceiling. I'm very happy with it. Take a look on the clearvue web sight and you can see my step by step build process.

David

David,
your build is what sealed the deal - that, and the $100 off for the Leeson 3 hp deals he has on sale now. ($895 delivered!). It will get here any day. Excellent execution - one of the nicest on the site.

Question: the Clear Vue operates at 90db by most reports - how much more quiet does your awesome muffler make it? If it is significant I am willing to redesign mine to include it.

Adam Grills
05-30-2007, 9:41 PM
Hey guys,
I did this back in the winter but just now posting- long over due.

I have been in a number of hobby and professional shops. In every shop I have experienced a large amount of dust (not just chips or shavings). I wear glasses and cleaning them off is an experience that I have had every time in a wood shop. These are all shops with cyclones, drums, bags, air cleaners, etc.

I was in my shop this winter and ran my 13" planer with 4" dust hose for 2hrs straight with hard maple. It was late after that and I walked to the house. In my usual routine I went to wipe off my glasses and dust off my shirt before going into the house and there was nothing on my shirt or glasses! I was so excited! I just realized that I normally dust off my glasses after 15min or so- now not at all!

Just wanted to say

Thank you Bill P and Ed @ Clear Vue for a great product that works!

Oh, and after emptying my 55 gal drum 5 times I still have yet to get anything out of the Farr filters!

Just a plug I wanted to put in here: What is with the Penn filter return? If the cyclone and the filter didn't get the dust the first time why do you think it would get it the second time?
Adam

Jim Bell
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM
I also installed a Clearvue Cyclone in my shop. Words cannot describe the difference in my work area. My shop is airconditioned and the dust was killing me. Last week I turned, sanded and finished 3 days straight. No red watery eyes or blowing gobs of ???? out of my nose and throat. I work with a lot of exotic woods so minimal dust is that much more important to me. My kids and grandkids can now come into the shop with me. Ed at Clearvue is the man. If good customer service and friendly helpful advice matter then these are the folks for you. Buy one I promise you will not be dissappointed.