PDA

View Full Version : Livingston Band Saw?

Alan Mikkelsen
05-17-2006, 3:14 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a Livingston bandsaw? My father has had a Livingston bandsaw that is marked 106" on it's front. The rear is totally open. Cutting height is about 10" and the throat is about 16". He's had this saw for almost 40 years and bought it from an old woodworker that had owned it for at least 30 years, making it about 70 years old. The blade guides are roller bearings and it's a very heavy saw.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-17-2006, 3:38 PM
Gallmeyer & Livingston were tool makers in Grand Rapids.
They made fine machines. They were arround in the 1920's.

There is a company of the same name today that makes Surface Grinders. I don't know if it's the same company.

Travis Johnson
05-17-2006, 4:36 PM
Let me guess, does it look like this?

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/images/Livingston_Bandsaw.jpg

Not to push anyone to another website, but in cases like this, the OWWM (Old Wood Working Machinery) website is great to conduct research on. A few clicks on their manufacturing index and I was able to find this picture. Here is a link to the information that is posted, and some possible places to gain further information. Myself, I have never heard of Livingston Bandsaws, but then again, up until a month ago I had never heard of Gilliom bandsaws either, much less owned on.

Here is the link: OWWM Livingston Bandsaw (http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=1650)

Alan Mikkelsen
05-17-2006, 5:04 PM
Thanks. Looks just like my Dad's saw.

Travis Johnson
05-17-2006, 5:35 PM
Alan,

Have you considered adding your picture and information to this website? It is a bit different from say Sawmill Creek because it is not so much of a place to talk about woodworking tools, as it is a place to post pictures of your older woodworking tools. The more people who contribute, the better.

You do have to join up in order to post, but that is free and in the end you help other woodworkers who are looking for information and or pictures of their tools, or potential purchases.

OWWM was the place I turned to when I saw an ad for a 19 inch Gilliom Bandsaw. Thankfully there was some information on there and a picture, in kind of the same way your Livingston Bandsaw was portrayed. Without this info, I probably would not have made the purchase, and missed out on a great bandsaw. Maybe your information and picture will help another woodworker in the same sort of way.