PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Scroll saw purchase

Sandy Johnson
05-17-2006, 2:26 PM
As many others have done in the past, I found the creek and have been strolling the water's edge for a while. Ran across a deal and thought I'd try panning the waters for any nuggets of wisdom. These seem to be decent deals: 1) Dewalt 788 that's 6yrs old with basically no use--includes the saw, light, stand and HTC mobile base for $250 (within driving distance to pickup) and 2) RBI Hawk 220vs 2yrs old with no use--includes saw and stand for $500 (located cross country which requires packing by the owner and another approximately $70 out of my pocket to ship). I don't do a whole lot of scroll sawing, but my 12yr old 16" delta isn't that much fun to use and I got the idea I wanted to upgrade. Surveying the various WW boards I have gathered that folks have good opinions about both saws. I have tested the Hawk at the woodworking shows and always walked away saying I would love to have one someday but $1000+ for an infrequently used tool didn't make sense. I've I have also given the Delta a try and it seems to be a well designed tool too. Any recommendations

Ed Lang
05-17-2006, 2:40 PM
The DeWalt is the onel I started with. But my son and wife started using it too. My son when to a woodworking show with me and we ordered a RBI Hawk after he had cut on every saw at the show. I took blades and wood with him so he knew what to expect. My wife will not use the DeWalt now at all! So the next year my wife goes with me to the show and we get another RBI Hawk, the G4 I think it is. That was a year ago this past January. Now the DeWalt will go up for sale soon and the two Hawks are in her shop. Yes, his and her shops at this place. Mine is for paying the bills and hers is for hobby.

All of this to let you know that if you get the DeWalt, you will be happy until you cut on the Hawk. But you have tried one at a show and you might not be happy with the DeWalt now.

Both are great saws in my opinion.

Daniel Heine
05-17-2006, 3:17 PM
Hello,

I bought a Delta SS350 last spring for under $200.00, and I have been very hasppy with it. I have used the DeWalt, and the Excalibur, and they are very nice tools, but I could not afford them. I am very please with my Delta SS350.

Thanks,
Dan Heine

tod evans
05-17-2006, 3:20 PM
sandy, my vote of the two goes to the rbi. .02 tod

David Duke
05-17-2006, 3:29 PM
I've never used the DeWalt but bought the Hawk G-4 a couple years ago and really like it but I'm not a real frequent scroller though. I do have to say however that RBI needs to work on their customer service quite a bit, but thats another story since you've found a used one.

Loren Hedahl
05-17-2006, 5:50 PM
I've had a DeWalt for several years and have been satisfied.

Guess I've been warned to stay away from them Hawks!

Larry Conely
05-18-2006, 1:42 PM
I have an Excalibur 18" saw that I've had for 15 years or so. I purhcased it with the then-optional variable speed motor hooked up to a foot switch. I changed the blade holders to make it more convenient to use. I mounted it on a barber chair base to make it height adjustable so it an be used standing or setting, child or adult. I put casters on the base to make it mobile. I'm very pleased with the performance and quality of the machine. It is quiet and vibration free. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I'm pleased that I bought the right saw (for me) and took the time to make it convenient to use.

Larry

John Timberlake
05-18-2006, 4:30 PM
Definitely get the DeWalt. For the money, the best scroll saw IMHO. Easier to use than most and more cost effective than the high end models.

John Miliunas
05-18-2006, 4:56 PM
Sandy, I've got the 788 and, like John T. says, a lot of bang for the buck! :) For the kind of money you're looking at, the above statement is only amplified. I know a couple people, one just down the road from me, who use the 788 daily and to extremes. They love it! :) Mind you, I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Hawks but, the $300.00+ difference in price will buy you a lot of blades, wood and patterns! Something to think about... :D I think you'd do well with either but, I think the Dewalt has the upper hand in this case. Just MHO... :) :cool:

Mark Patoka
05-18-2006, 6:26 PM
I've never use the RBI but picked up the DeWalt w/ stand a few years ago for $200 on clearance from Lowe's. I really like it even compared to a previous Delta I had for a short time. You won't be disappointed so not sure if paying the extra $$ and shipping would be worth it to you for occasional use.

Corey Hallagan
05-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I know many think alot of this saw, but becareful on the Dewalt if it is 6 years old and make sure it hasn't been just slicked up. Some of them Dewalts if used hard by craft fair goer's they didn't stand up to that use. I know of several scroll sawers that put it to regular use and it just didn't hold up well. New motors etc. They opted for the Delta 20 inch and it worked better for them. Run it and make sure there isn't alot of noise etc. before you buy it.

Corey

Barry Stratton
05-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I started with a Delta 350 and quickly pounded it into the gound. It was a good hobby saw, but not made for daily use. I upgraded to a Dewalt 788 in November and have been happy with it ........except it appears the "newer" ones have issues with the table. I know several folks, including me, whose new saw table had a "crown" in it - almost as if the blade hole was punched thru from the bottom up. Dewalt has been good at responding to the problem, except new saws are still being sold with defective tables.

I've heard good things about the Delta P-20 as well as the Hawk you are referring to. At the risk of violating the TOS, I recommend you check out the forum at scrollsawer.com Lots of good info on saws, etc... there.