PDA

View Full Version : New Shop cabs with strawboard

Steve Clardy
09-03-2003, 4:07 PM
I built some much needed shop cabinets over the weekend. I used the new strawboard, kinda of a replacement for particle board.
I have decided that there isn't much use in using it either as it's dusty and heavy like particle board, and it gets the old wet stain look when wet. I had a slight roof leak from the 7" of rain in 4 days. We went from the sahara desert mode to the monsoone season over night. Not gripping about the much needed rain.
I had the old cinder block and boards shelf system on one wall, and really needed to get some cabs there. They are not finished yet, need doors and drawers yet. There are two cabs here, both 8" long. I plan to build another 36" deep, 4 foot long cab for my sliding saw to sit next to these, with shelves underneath.
What a mess moving stuff out and in. I planned on only installing one for the time being, then the second one later, but looking at all the tools and such stacked on my benches, table saw, etc., I had to go ahead and install the other to get everything put up so I could work. This all took the better part of sat., sun., and monday.
Now these aren't nothing fancy, as I have a production shop, not a hobby shop that is kept constantly clean. So I made them out of strawboard, poplar, and painted them. Cabs are extra tall, 42" to the top.
Steve

Steve Clardy
09-03-2003, 4:09 PM
Couldn't get all of the pics in the first post. STeve

Bobby Hatfield
09-03-2003, 4:47 PM
Yeah Steve, we know you going for a bank loan for more tools and gotta clean up the shop for the loan officer to look at. It will work, too. You can get a loan for more than value. Been thinking that may beat selling out.

Steve Clardy
09-03-2003, 6:37 PM
Yeah Steve, we know you going for a bank loan for more tools and gotta clean up the shop for the loan officer to look at. It will work, too. You can get a loan for more than value. Been thinking that may beat selling out.

Now how did you figure that one out Bobby?
Now if I could get Terry here to do some surgery on shop before the loan officer gets here------------

Bob Lasley
09-03-2003, 7:52 PM
Steve,

Cabinets look mighty fine. I need to build some more for my shop as well, but SWMBO says cabinets for her sewing room come first. You would think she rules the roost or something! :rolleyes: Which reminds me, I need to go to the borg and pickup some track lighting and get it installed before she gets home.

Bob

Charles McKinley
09-03-2003, 8:01 PM
Those are nice looking cabinets Steve. I lucked out at a yard sale and got a bunch ofused metal cabinets and mounted them on cleats.

Thank you for the information on working with the straw board. I was wondering hoe it compared to particle board.

Steve Clardy
09-03-2003, 8:25 PM
Steve,

Cabinets look mighty fine. I need to build some more for my shop as well, but SWMBO says cabinets for her sewing room come first. You would think she rules the roost or something! :rolleyes: Which reminds me, I need to go to the borg and pickup some track lighting and get it installed before she gets home.

Bob

I got the ol evil eye when She asked what these were for. Her response was, When am I going to get upper cabs in the house??
:rolleyes: Steve

Steve Clardy
09-03-2003, 8:29 PM
Those are nice looking cabinets Steve. I lucked out at a yard sale and got a bunch ofused metal cabinets and mounted them on cleats.

Thank you for the information on working with the straw board. I was wondering hoe it compared to particle board.

The only real differance I noticed was the price, about 4 dollars a sheet more than particle board, though it is a tad smoother, and 10 pounds lighter in 3/4". But when you wrestle it around in the shop, the difference between 80 and 90 pounds isn't really noticable, just too heavy. Steve

Steve Clardy
09-17-2003, 3:44 PM
Finally got my saw cab almost done and installed next to the 16' run of other cabinets. This cab is 36" deep, 54" long. It has the dust collection hole incorporated into it. But I still had to chop a hole in the wall to clear the saw so it would swivel and slide. Lost 3" of insulation in a 6" wall.
I also installed a hiding place for goodies. Maybe I can hide my lottery winnings in here when I win it. Ha. Seemed such a shame to have a cab this deep with the back 12" blocked off for the dust collection.
I still need to finish the saw shroud and my support tables for the saw. Also still need to finish up all the drawers and doors.
Now if I ever get my blower from hell that Terry Hatfields helping me with installed, maybe it will actually suck up some of the dust that this saw generates.
Steve

Brad Schafer
09-17-2003, 4:39 PM
Finally got my saw cab almost done and installed next to the 16' run of other cabinets.

(snip)

That's a really good-looking setup; loan officer oughta be impressed. :D

Nice idea on the slant chute at the rear,

b

Bob Lasley
09-17-2003, 5:39 PM
Lookin' good Steve. Let us know how the dust collection works out, before and after the monster blower.

Bob

Steve Clardy
09-17-2003, 7:08 PM
Lookin' good Steve. Let us know how the dust collection works out, before and after the monster blower.

Bob

Well Bob, so far on the dust collection it's better than what I had. Still need to put some "Wings" on the sides of upper box. With the dust hole at an angle, if it gets there, it should eventually get sucked out. So far there seems to be less dust.
Guess you made it back home ok after Terry's feed? Wish I coud have stayed longer, but wife was ancy to get. [Ancy Nancy]
So far she has eased off on me working on these shop cabs other than what she wants me to work on. Don't know for how long though--------
:rolleyes:
Steve

Bob Lasley
09-17-2003, 7:31 PM
Well Bob, so far on the dust collection it's better than what I had. Still need to put some "Wings" on the sides of upper box. With the dust hole at an angle, if it gets there, it should eventually get sucked out. So far there seems to be less dust.
Guess you made it back home ok after Terry's feed? Wish I coud have stayed longer, but wife was ancy to get. [Ancy Nancy]
So far she has eased off on me working on these shop cabs other than what she wants me to work on. Don't know for how long though--------
:rolleyes:
Steve

Well, enjoy it while you can! BTW, tell Nancy "hey" for me. (I ain't about to call her Ancy Nancy)

Got home just fine, in fact rather enjoyed the drive while I listened to Oklahoma whup Alabama.

Bob