PDA

View Full Version : Need help ID'ing a tree

Mark Cothren
05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Neighbor is giving several good-sized pieces of turning stock from some trees that fell during a recent storm. Only thing is I don't know what kind of tree this one is... hopefully one of you can help me out. Here are the leaves - I'll shoot the bark/wood later this afternoon after I pick it up if it's not ID'd by then. Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/leaves.jpg

John Hart
05-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Looks like a Tulip Tree (Tulip Poplar) to me Mark. I have one in the back yard that we planted ten years ago. Here's a link to some drawings
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/commontr/tuliptre.htm

Chris Barton
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I agree with John. Poplar, likely will have a very white interior and turns like butter.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Yup.................. Poplar.

Bruce

Joe Tonich
05-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Hey Mark, try this site... http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeID.cfm It took me to Yellow Poplar.

Brad Hart
05-17-2006, 12:26 PM
and another poplar vote

Raymond Overman
05-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm part of the poplar crowd too.

Surprisingly, my tree identification is getting better since that's the first tree that came to mind and everyone else seems to confirm it.

Steve Clardy
05-17-2006, 1:01 PM
Turningstock tree:rolleyes: ;)

I'd say poplar also:)

Brad Hart
05-17-2006, 1:35 PM
I'm part of the poplar crowd too.

Surprisingly, my tree identification is getting better since that's the first tree that came to mind and everyone else seems to confirm it.

it is amazing how easy it is to identify trees when there are leaves present. When forced to go by bark I am not so good, and when i find those very large barkless pieces laying about I am at a total loss most of the time unless I start turning it and there is a very fragrant christmas tree smell.

John Hart
05-17-2006, 1:41 PM
....unless I start turning it and there is a very fragrant christmas tree smell.

..And that would be the famous Pear Tree right? ;) :D

Jim Becker
05-17-2006, 1:51 PM
Mark, I also agree..."poplar"...BUT...need a size reference. Tulip Poplar (Yellow Poplar/Liriodendron tulipifera L) tends to very large sized leaves. (I have about 50 of them on my property and I'm talking 80-100' tall trees) The leaf shape you show is also similar to the "other poplar" types which are aspens, rather than magnolia-related. Those would be smaller leaves and more like what you show. Yellow poplar leaves tend to have more pronounced lobes than what you show...as a matter of fact here they are, straight from one of my mature stand--you can use the pen next to them for a size reference:

Mark Cothren
05-17-2006, 2:18 PM
I think John nailed it...

But here is another pic of an average size leaf on this tree...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/leaf.jpg

Jim Ketron
05-17-2006, 4:06 PM
Guys Mark is a pretty good size Boy!
So those are pretty good size paws that leaf is in!
But Its kinda small IMO for yellow poplar, around here those leaves would be much larger. I agree with Jim B.

John Hart
05-17-2006, 4:17 PM
Yup...Jims B and K make a good point....although the leaf shape certainly fits....the size is a bit small. My Tulip Tree has big ol' leaves on it. Even when it was a sapling, it had leaves a little bigger than a CD. I'm guessing that it's in the family though.

Michael Stafford
05-17-2006, 6:10 PM
The hand in that picture can hold a basketball like it was a softball.:p :D

It sure looks like a poplar but I cannot name the variety.

Mark Cothren
05-17-2006, 6:47 PM
I went back and looked at more of the leaves and there are several that are on the bigger limbs/trunk that are at least twice as big as this one.

My son, who is in FFA on the landscaping team, said he "guarantees" that this is a Tulip Poplar. So that's what I'm goin' with....:D

John Timberlake
05-17-2006, 6:55 PM
You may find that here is something other than white wood. Sometimes you get green and purple staining if the wood is stressed. And the crotches can be dyed with wood tones or purer colors to give really interesting effects. Show us pictures of the finished products.

Jim Becker
05-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Mark...my Audubon field guide does indicate leaf size for Yellow Poplar (Tulip Poplar) is 3-6". Based on that, the picture in the guide and your subsequent observations...I believe you do have a Yellow Poplar "in hand". I've built a lot of furniture with it since I ended up with a very large milled pile of it when a new septic field went in back in 2000. I've only turned a little, and most of it was during David Ellsworth's three day training class at his studio near here. (We worked with wet poplar and wet ash)

Dennis Peacock
05-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Uhhhhhhhh....looks like Poplar Withumus Leavesus to me. :D

Hey Mark....set those chuck in whole logs VERTICLE in your shop, coat the top and let it set for about 6 months. you'll get cool colors and the beginning of spalting. :D

Mark Cothren
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I had already done that, Dennis... 'cept they're sittin' outside - waitin' on you to come get 'em!

Curt Fuller
05-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Just to the right above center in that group of leaves in your original picture there's a large bud looking thing at the end of one of the twigs. That makes me think it's the tulip poplar. I bought one from a nursery and planted it a couple years ago and this spring it's covered with those buds.