PDA

View Full Version : Holtey Kits

Brad Knabel
05-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi All,
I just read a story on Finewoodworking's web site that mentioned that Karl Holtey is working on kits to sell. This looks like it might fill the void left by Shepherd, although the prices look to be higher - (390 - 450 GBP which according to Google's conversion currently equates to about $735 - $850).

It looks like he's aiming to have a smoother available by Christmas with a thumb plane following. Karl has a nice write up on his site along with a mouth-watering picture:

http://www.holteyplanes.com/projects.htm

Scott Pearson
05-18-2006, 12:07 PM
There is a very long post over at Woodnet on this. Ian Dalziel was wanting to know what kind of response these would get from the market. If you are going to read it you might want to get out your popcorn and soda first.

Scott

Mike Wenzloff
05-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes, people are going nuts on a few forums about it. Mainly due to the cost of the kit without regard to fact that the quality of the machining nearly assures good, consistent results.

Heck, I've stared saving my pennies...

Take care, Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-18-2006, 4:07 PM
Those planes are very well made. I'd not call 'em kits tho they are a tad more soph9isticated than the word "kit" connotes. Nice thick thread engagement everythers clean crisp lines and the bkade adjustment mechanism is - well - sweet.
Those things are georgous and I'm not a plane nut. Every plane I own is there for no reason other than I use it and it works.

But a Hotly plane well they are hot.

Michael Morin dit Boucher
05-19-2006, 5:02 PM
Brad,

Very nicely engineered planes for sure, but in all reality who would pay that kind of money for one plane?:eek:.:confused:..think of all the really fine working antique planes you could gather for the same money....just one man's opinion.:cool:

Javier Gonzalez
05-21-2006, 1:07 PM
It doesn't come with the wood infill. As far as assured results, maybe for experienced
craftman. I wouldn't call it a plane yet. Needs alot of work to get it making shavings.