PDA

View Full Version : Skill builders?

Joe Fisher
05-17-2006, 10:42 AM
In my square bowl thread, a lot of people seemed intimidated by making such a form. This post in particular gave me an idea:

Oh come on Ken! It'll be fun, I'll try one to!

What if we pick a monthly/semiweekly/etc. theme, and everyone tries it, posting their results in one thread? It could start out with some of the more experienced folks sharing some tips, tricks and how-to's, and maybe some pictures of their own work for inspiration. AAW has their monthly contests, but I think a more relaxed sharing of ideas would be more fruitful.

I think it would get some of us trying things we've never done before.

Some suggestions:

Lidded boxes/bowls
Goblets
Square-edge turnings
Captive rings
Natural-edge bowls
Layered/segmented bowls
Inside-out turnings
Skew eggs
Off-axis turnings

Thoughts? I think one guideline should be to keep specialized tools to a minimum. E.g. goblets and boxes can be hollowed with a spindle gouge or scraper, but a large vase requires special deep hollowing tools. That said, if someone has good techniques for hollowing a medium-depth vase with common tools, that'd be a great theme.

Apologies if it's been suggested already.

-Joe

Brad Hart
05-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I think it would get some of us trying things we've never done before.

Some suggestions:

Lidded boxes/bowls
-Joe

I think I am good for boxes here is this mornings offerings

Don Orr
05-17-2006, 11:55 AM
I am a big proponent of skill building practices for turners or any other skill for that matter. This sounds like a good idea to help a lot of people all at once. I would be willing to help as I can with my time limitations. Monthly might be a good way to start as we all don't have the same amount of turning time. There seems to be a wide variety of skill levels here at SMC-Turning so I believe those more experienced have a lot to offer to the less experienced. Turners in general are such a generous bunch as we have witnessed so many times. I often help at our club with demos and Learn-n-Turn days. I have a couple of handouts I did and have them in Word files to share if that might be of any help. One is for weedpots and the other is basic bowls.
I think the bonkers contest is actually a good example of what Joe is getting at. Got a lot of people to try something. Remember how many were "first turnings"? With a little guidance from someone with experience, people might try new things with a little more confidence. This could get really fun and creative. Who knows, the next new idea might be just around the bend in the Creek!
Anybody else have thoughts ?

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a GOOD idea to me.

I'll check it out when I get back. Working on getting everything packed........................My carry on bag and HER 5 suit cases. Well............... IT IS a 12 day cruise!

Bruce

Don Orr
05-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a GOOD idea to me.

I'll check it out when I get back. Working on getting everything packed........................My carry on bag and HER 5 suit cases. Well............... IT IS a 12 day cruise!

Bruce
Hope you enjoy your cruise Bruce. By the way, only 5 bags for 12 days?:eek: I think my wife averages about a bag a day when we travel:D .

Joe Fisher
05-17-2006, 1:37 PM
Cool! I agree, monthly or even bi-monthly. So here's a thought on format:

We start a thread asking for a volunteer for this month's Skill Builder. The volunteer would be someone who feels reasonably comfortable explaining and photographing a skill or technique. I, for example, would feel quite comfortable talking about lidded boxes. Not so much about captive rings or hollow forms.

The volunteer would then start a thread with some basic description of what the skill is, and how he/she accomplishes it, hopefully with pictures. Continuing with the lidded box scenario, I'd post my way of hollowing end grain using spindle and bowl gouges. Other experienced box makers could post tips about their methods. I think it'd be really cool to see that kind of thing all together in one place.

The volunteer would also encourage everyone to try it out and post up their successes and failures. I think that'll be the best part.

I'm hoping the thread would snowball from there, with discussion on technique, why failures and successes happened, and lots of pictures.

-Joe

Vaughn McMillan
05-17-2006, 6:41 PM
As someone who has skills in dire need of being built, I'd be glad to see this type of thing. Count me in as a participant (learner, not teacher).

- Vaughn

Mark Cothren
05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey, here's an idea since lidded boxes have been mentioned... I know Big Mike is working on his class material for ASWR... how about we "gently persuade" the BoxMaster to give us a condensed version on his technique?

Then we could get Travis to do one on hollow forms (since he's doing a class this fall, too).

I think this is a great idea!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2006, 11:07 PM
There would be MORE, Don, but the airlines won't let us take more that 4. The other one is for our time in Philly, before the cruise.

Bruce

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-18-2006, 1:29 AM
I'm in, I'm sure I can come up with a few failure to add to the thread :D

This sounds like a GREAT idea!

Andy Hoyt
05-18-2006, 9:04 AM
I'm in.

And I got dibs on "How to Survive the Mother of all Catches"

Chuck Saunders
05-18-2006, 9:28 AM
So let's start already! I have completed the pre-requisite steps. I have a lathe, I have some tools, I have some wood, I have no skills. Let's make something.
Chuck

Joe Fisher
05-18-2006, 9:54 AM
So let's start already! I have completed the pre-requisite steps. I have a lathe, I have some tools, I have some wood, I have no skills. Let's make something.
Alright :) Shall I start with boxes, since there seemed to be interest in that? I'll put together my box making techniques in a thread, and hopefully some of the expert box-makers will pipe up with their techniques.

Sound good?

-Joe

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Chuck

I'm right behind you Chuck!! :D

Don Baer
05-18-2006, 1:29 PM
I can contribute on what not to do...:(

And I sure could use the practice..:D

Brad Hart
05-18-2006, 2:59 PM
I'm in.

And I got dibs on "How to Survive the Mother of all Catches"

That is simple, duck and cover.

Joe Fisher
05-18-2006, 3:56 PM
That is simple, duck and cover.
Step 2: Change your shorts.
Step 3: Wash your mouth out with soap.

I think we've got the start of a tutorial ;)

-Joe

Ernie Nyvall
05-18-2006, 9:39 PM
I could use some learnin.

Ernie

Steve Ash
05-18-2006, 9:47 PM
I am so far behind all of you ...I'm willing to learn if someone is willing to teach.

Lee DeRaud
05-18-2006, 9:58 PM
What to do is easy...how to do is hard. :p

Does "brute force and massive ignorance" count as "technique"? :eek:

Barry Stratton
05-19-2006, 2:17 AM
I'm up for taking a lesson or two! I've flung bowls and exploded bowls so messing up a box ought to be a piece of cake.