PDA

View Full Version : NE bowl attempt from the Rikon. Questions???

Jim Davenport
05-17-2006, 8:49 AM
So far my mystery wood NE bowl is staying together.
I used "CA" glue initially on the cracks to keep it together. It's now about as thin as I dare to make it. I've turned away most of the CA, and now the cracks are exposed, and open again. I've got it sanded up to 120 so far.
I need opinions, whether I should fill the cracks, and worm holes, or leave them natural?
I really like the grain, I hope it survives;)

Joe Fisher
05-17-2006, 11:03 AM
My humble opinion is the cracks and holes give the wood character. You're turning wood, not plastic.

Unless cracks threaten structural integrity, I never fill them.

Nice looking piece, btw. Looking forward to seeing it done!

-Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
At this point, the only reason I see to use CA again is to make sure it stays together. Otherwise.........What Joe said.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2006, 1:35 PM
What Joe and Bruce said. I would only get the CA out to hold it together.

Ernie Nyvall
05-17-2006, 9:54 PM
Jim, is the wood still green? If so, I'd put more glue. If not, well then some cracks look good and some do not. Put some coffee grounds in them and wipe off the excess. If it's not right, then blow them out. This is all pretty much personal preference, but as Joe mentioned, if you think it threatens the structural integrity, fill them for sure.

Ernie

Oh yea, sometimes filling cracks with a contrasting color can really highlight the spider web effect and looks good.

Jim Davenport
05-17-2006, 9:56 PM
Thanks Guys. It seems the opinion is "EWENAMIMUS", I'll leave the defects.;)
As soon as I get some time again, I'll finish sanding it, and put some finish on it.