PDA

View Full Version : 2nd finished bowl - oops.....

Barry Stratton
05-17-2006, 12:19 AM
I've got a bunch of thin wood laying around now that the scrollsaw is covered in shavings and blanks...................so glued this puppy up.

Size is about 4 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" tall. Wall thicknes is ~3/16" at the top and gets thicker towards the bottom. Finished with lacquer and wax.

Wood types from top to bottom are walnut, sapele, walnut, sapele, maple, and walnut.

I also learned to be more careful when "tapping" the bowl onto a jamb chuck to turn off the tenon..........:( Gonna break out the CA...

Corey Hallagan
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Nice work Barry! You been busy. The bowl looks great! I know what you mean, I haven't run my SS since the lathe arrived! Welll, did cut a handle for a flat work box but that is about it.

Corey

John Hart
05-17-2006, 7:20 AM
Nice work Barry....Too bad about the crack. Hide it well. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2006, 8:22 AM
Hey Barry that is a good looking bowl. Bummer on the crack. Get some saw dust form the sanding, put it in the crack and CA it. Let us know how it goes.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2006, 8:41 AM
Excellent bowl Barry! Shame about the crack...........I've been there .....different bowl...same result......

Joe Fisher
05-17-2006, 9:56 AM
Some nice figure in that maple! Neat that you see the walnut on the outside bottom, and the maple on the inside.

Bummer about the crack. I've never been a fan of jam chucks that jam from the inside for just this reason. It's also why I use a tenon and not a recess for chucking bowls.

Are you familiar with using a friction chuck to turn the bottom? You need to leave the tailstock in place (requiring a bit of hand finishing), but it can be used for any open form. I use it on almost all of my bowls.

-Joe