PDA

View Full Version : drawers slide question

Ben Grunow
05-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I built some face frame cabinets that are 11 1/2" deep (from front of 3/4" face frame to the face of the 1/2" plywood back). I want to put drawers in some of the openings and would like to use undermount slides with full ext.. What slides should I use and where can I get decent dovetailed drawer boxes made and delivered (no time to learn make them myself)- one stop shopping would be nice. The drawer faces (flush design) could be 3/4" to 1" thick (made by me or drawer mfgr- either way) and the boxes would be the remainder of the available depth in the cabinet less maybe 1/4" for clearance. The slides I've seen advertised come 9" or 12" but not 10" (11 1/2" - 1 1/4" for face frame and clearance = 10 1/4" or about 10"). How do it work? any help would be great.

glenn bradley
05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Accuride makes slides for just about anything. many folks carry them but not usually the Box Stores. www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com) is one source. Blum is another glide maker with an extensive selection. www.woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com) is one source for them. Both vendors also have a selection of pre-made or made to order drawers of varying materials; with or without faces.

Dave Harker
05-17-2006, 1:30 AM
http://www.udb.cc/Default.aspx

They sell drawer slides, as well as make custom drawer boxes.

They have shipped promptly and sent the correct drawer slides - but I have no experience with their drawer boxes - I make my own. The drawer boxes seem to be their primary business, and sell drawer slides "on the side".

Their web site offers instant price quotes, after you fill out an online form with all the details of your drawer boxes.

Steve Clardy
05-17-2006, 1:54 AM
Most ball bearing slides are usually a 1/4" short of the stated size, or at least the ones I purchase.
On one ocassion, where I needed a slide to fit a 11-1/2" opening, I used the metal chop saw and cut off a 1/4" of the rear portion of the slide. This looses the LOCK on the slide, but it will work in a pinch.
On another ocassion, I had to route out a slot in the back panel for the slide to go through, sitting flush with the back of the back panel.
Inside depth of all my uppers I make are a full 12", unless its something I have to match to existing cabs.

fred woltersdorf
05-17-2006, 6:42 AM
i have used this company numerous times,resonable prices, quality product, and quick turn around time, about 7 working days.no affiliation etc.http://www.valendrawers.com/programs/default.htm. i also used this company for slides, same recommendation.http://www.cshardware.com/index.html

Todd Burch
05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Ben, the thing with undermounts, is that you make the drawer to fit the hardware, and then you make the cabinet to fit the drawer. You've gone backwards in the case, so you may have to compromise.

Search this forum. I've posted in the past a company I've used in Chandler, Arizona. Don't remember the name right now. Fast, good service, cheap. (~$750 for 42 small drawers).

Todd

Ben Grunow
05-17-2006, 8:25 PM
OK Todd. That makes sense (never installed/made drawers). Does anyone make a 10" undermount slide that you know of or do I have to use a side mount slide to achieve full extension with my setup? Or are you saying that I have to buy a 9" undermount and settle for less than full extension? What I'm really trying to find out is if drawer slides only come in 3" increments (9", 12", 15"...) or are they available in smaller variations. If they aren't then I will figure it out. Thanks

Todd Burch
05-18-2006, 8:35 AM
I don't know what's available. I would have to go to the Blum (manufacturer) website to look up Tandem (the undermount slide) that I use. I seem to remember they come in 2" increments. Are you prepared for the $35-$40/pair cost of these bad boys?

Todd

Roland Chung
05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Ben,
Todd is right about it being better to design a project around the available hardware. I'm pretty sure that Blum's Tandem doesn't come in a 10 incher. I know that you can get Accuride or knockoffs in a 10 inch. Don't start your drawerboxes until you get your glides. If you get the accurides style and are mounting them in a FF cabinet, you will need the rear brackets or will have to shim out the sides.

Do a search with some of the names that have been dropped on this thread. Check out the manufacturer's websites for detailed info. Some suppliers of the hardware will have the knockoffs. Some of the knockoffs are inferior, but some are hard to tell from the real thing. Good luck!

Roland

Bob Childress
05-18-2006, 4:38 PM
Ben,

Roland is right. With the cabinets made, you are probably going to need Accuride side mounts with the face frame and rear extension brackets. I just installed some in my kitchen using the old boxes. 22" drawer depth, 24" cabinet depth. Bought 22" slides and the extension brackets and fit like a dream.

Rockler can be your one stop shop. I am happy with them 90% of the time.