PDA

View Full Version : Coffee table reborn as a Workbench, and an Epiphany

Marc Hills
09-02-2003, 9:34 PM
This workbench took so long to complete, I came to refer to it as 'My Nemesis'. The project is a study in compromise, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. It came out more or less as planned and now I have a work surface that is solid and sturdy.

The bench top was a curbside find during our city's large item clean up drive, and is what really launched this long-planned project. It started life as a hideous, dark-stained coffee table made of glued up 3" lumber. Judging from its weight, color and grain structure, I think it may be southern yellow pine. I like to think it has been put to a higher use.

The trestle frame is Douglas Fir except for the arched stretchers, which are construction grade 2x6s. Is there some sort of knock against using Fir? It doesn't seem to get talked about much, but I found it to be affordable, straight-grained and it sure makes the pine 2x6 seem like balsa wood in comparison.

The front vise is one of those infamous $30 Record 52ED deals from Big Lots and the "end vise" is an even cheaper Harbor Freight model. Combined with a set of bench dogs I made, I think they'll serve my needs just fine.

In building this workbench, I had something of an epiphany. Using mostly hand tools has meant that I could do much of the work at odd hours without disturbing anyone. I'm a morning person with a demanding family life (lotta territory there), so one fine summer dawn found me and my coffee in the side yard astride my Workmate and a fir 4x4 marked for mortises.

I was using a brace and bit to rough out the mortises when I encountered a knot about a third of the way through. The knot slowed down the bit's progress and the shavings changed to a deep russet color.

Now I'm not a poet, so I can't adequately describe the aroma that issued forth from the wood at that moment, or the effect it had. I can say that the shavings were warm from friction and moist with resin. The sun was just beginning the dry the dew and the neighborhood was still cool and quiet in the gathering light. I paused to smell the shavings and when I closed my eyes, I might as well have been in a stand of Douglas Fir.

It was like the timber revealed a memory of the forest from whence it came, held inside since the day it was hewn from a living tree, just felled in the wood. I felt an immense sense of connectedness to both the material and the tools I was using right then. It seemed like all the reasons why I worked wood came together that morning.

Jim Becker
09-02-2003, 9:41 PM
That's a beautiful bench, Marc. I especially like the arch in the stretchers...it adds a lot of panache to the piece.

Although I'm primarily one of those devil-tailed, electrified beings that Dave A frequently refers to, I really agree with your observation about how hand tools can free up a lot of time for woodworking that would normally not be available. I recently posted the same at another forum site in a thread started by a fellow looking for a way to work long into the night with neighbors close by. (His alternate work schedule for his 'real job' put him at odds with the rest of his neighborhood) It was strange being the only one who suggested that...eveyone else offering advice was speaking of sound proofing, etc., and ignoring the obvious!

And I do love the "roar" that my LN low-angle block plane makes... :D

Jim Baker
09-02-2003, 9:47 PM
Excellent job on the workbench, Marc, especially for something you found laying along the side of the road! Very nice transformation.

Dave Anderson NH
09-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Truly a Yankee bench. In fact when you find most of it lying along the street for free you get 100 Yankee Points. It looks sturdy and has a lot of the basic needs for a real bench. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good use out of it though like most of us it unfortunately only leads you to think about the elusive ultimate bench. Are you planning to put any kind of storage on top of the stretchers? It'd be a shame to waste all that free space.

Marc Hills
09-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Jim Beyer:

I remember your post! Can't recall what forum it twas (woodnet?) , but the thread starter laid out a scenario that fairly begged for a switch to traditional tools and everyone was talking about double thick wall board and just how late one might be able to run the router without getting a summons. Yours was the lone voice of reason and I remember thinking, "Yes, somebody gets it!"

Thank you for the kind words about the bench. The arched stretchers was one of the first design elements that I added to my mental checklist when developing the design.

Jim Baker and Dave:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm still new at this and your encouragement is really appreciated. The found bench top was indeed lucky. Funny how I've started seeing all sorts of unrelated items in terms of woodworking applications. Rolling pins become tool handles and hinge pins transform into needed brass rod for a bowsaw. Too bad all those Yankee points I've accumulated can't buy a cure for this sort of insanity.

Dave:

Yeah, my mental plan does call for a small cabinet and three drawers under the bench. Lack of patience, dwindling evening daylight (sigh), and the desire to have the bench available for actual woodworking have delayed those plans. You might appreciate that the night before I took this picture, I pulled up an Adirondack chair, poured myself a glass of wine, and just sat down and admired the bench. I see every flaw I made, but I still love it.

Jim Becker
09-03-2003, 9:03 AM
I remember your post! Can't recall what forum it twas (woodnet?)

It was at WOOD ONLINE in the General Woodworking Forum last week sometime...

Bobby Hatfield
09-03-2003, 10:55 AM
This workbench took so long to complete, I came to refer to it as 'My Nemesis'. I'm a morning person with a demanding family life (lotta territory there), so one fine summer dawn found me and my coffee in the side yard astride my Workmate and a fir 4x4 marked for mortises.
I was using a brace and bit to rough out the mortises when I encountered a knot about a third of the way through. The knot slowed down the bit's progress and the shavings changed to a deep russet color.
I can say that the shavings were warm from friction and moist with resin. I felt an immense sense of connectedness to both the material and the tools I was using right then. It seemed like all the reasons why I worked wood came together that morning.

Marc, great bench, and the feelings that came with it, is what its all about.