PDA

View Full Version : Hot Milwaukee Deal, Need Opinions

john lawson
05-16-2006, 7:30 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a Milwaukee panel saw, model 4820, in excellent condition, four years old. The fellow used to have a business and is selling all his equipment. I have two questions:

First, what is the reputation and the opinion of people here at Sawmill Creek regarding the Milwaukee panel saw? Second, they go for $1098 at Amazon (less 10% coupon) so say$1000 including shipping. What is a good price for me and him?

thanks

john lawson

Loren Hedahl
05-16-2006, 8:12 PM
I have never used a Milwaukee panel saw, but have tried large tables on my table saw and a neighbor's home-built panel saw.

However I found a fold-up grid table and a skill saw with a straight edge was simpler and worked just as well or better. The only problem was it blew sawdust everywhere including in my face and all over the work area.

So my last tool acquisition was a Festool saw, guide, vacuum and sander. It lightened my back pocket badly, but after using it for several months I am convinced it was the right choice for me and have had no buyer's remorse.

If you are a pro doing a lot of panel work, you should consider the above with "a grain of salt".

Charles McKinley
05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi John,

I have a home made panel saw and it is about 1/8" off of square over 4' cross cut and it drives me nuts. It does a good job of ripping though.

The first thing would be to check how square it is.

The rule of thumb for used stuff is 40-60% of new based on condition.

For that money you could be set up with a nice festool or EZsmart system. EZ has some nice add ons like the square and the repeater. I really like the dust collection on the Festool.

My panel saw has seen little use since I got the EZ system.

Just my thoughts, let us know what you decide.