PDA

View Full Version : harbor freight dovetail jig.

Mike Stanton
09-02-2003, 7:08 PM
I have been thinking about getting the dovetail jig from harbor freight. Does any have it and is it any good ? Thanks for any help . Mike

Scott Coffelt
09-02-2003, 9:02 PM
I don't but you should look at the Jet, I think it is pretty darn similar, but the jet has metal templates whereas I believe the HF model is plastic. Assuming I am thinking of the same model. The Jet is built pretty darn solid, I actually bought it and repleced my PC 4112 that I used for half blind dovetails.

Jim Becker
09-02-2003, 9:10 PM
I have never seen any positive comments about the HFT dovetail jig...the summary would be you get less than you pay for in this case. If you are looking for a reasonably priced half-blind jig, look at the Porter-Cable 12" or another similar product from a variety of sources. You want metal templates for best results and longevity. Invest your tool money well when you can as the most expensive tool is the one you need to replace early and often.

Jim Baker
09-02-2003, 9:21 PM
If the Harbor Freight unit is the same unit that is marketed under a variety of other names, I would steer clear. I purchased one of the ones marketed under the Woodstock International name last year. It was completely substandard. The top and front were not flat and were not square with each other. As a result, when you tightened down the boards enough to keep them from moving while cutting the dovetails, they would move up, down, in, or out during the clamping process. Also, the templet would flex during cutting. I returned this unit promptly.

Last week, I purchased the Woodhaven jig. So far, I really like it. Everything seems to be machined properly. The manual is good, but could be a little better. The clamps work very well. It is easy to adjust properly. The people at Woodhaven were a dream top work with. It came UPS in 1 day. I especially like the fact that it comes with a bearing guided bit instead of those pain in the rear collars, which are very difficult to get and keep centered. All in all, a very good unit. I would highly recommend it.

Bill Esposito
09-02-2003, 9:59 PM
I have never seen any positive comments about the HFT dovetail jig...the summary would be you get less than you pay for in this case. If you are looking for a reasonably priced half-blind jig, look at the Porter-Cable 12" or another similar product from a variety of sources. You want metal templates for best results and longevity. Invest your tool money well when you can as the most expensive tool is the one you need to replace early and often.I have the older model Woodhaven jig (bought about 7 months ago) and it's a bit easier to assemble than the new one according to Brad Witt but functionally they are the same.

Workmanship is outstanding and it's absolutely simple to use. Aside from the steep price tag it's an excellent jig.

Don Abele
09-02-2003, 11:01 PM
I have an old model that was made by Craftsman (please don't beat me - it was a long time ago, I was young and foolish). Hardly used it as the plastic construction (as has been stated) flexed way too much. I have a HF in my area and noticed that one in the store once - made me wince to think someone would buy it and be subjected to the same pain I felt all those years ago trying to use it.

I am getting ready to start a project that will have many dovetails and asked about jigs a while ago. I've decided to wait a little longer and buy the Leigh. It truely does seem to be the standard and well worth the money.

Be well,

Doc