PDA

View Full Version : You have mail... I mean Walnut!

Jeff Horton
05-16-2006, 6:21 PM
I went to fellows house to do an Appraisal today. Couldn't help but notice two larger walnuts tree's in the yard. (I always notice the tree's) as we walked to take a look at the barn. On the way back I noticed one looked dead and mentioned it to the owner. ;) A closer look revealed it is not dead but must be diseased, about half the limbs on the tree appear to be dead or dying.

I am sure you can guess where I lead the conversation from there. I offered to cut the limbs if he would give me the wood. He offered me the whole tree if I would cut it down! I really don't want to cut the whole tree, it not dead. Just needs some trimming I think. Besides it's to big for my saw. Regardless I should have a trailer load of Walnut! Sorry Tyler, I didn't photograph the tree. :p

That of course assumes I don't make him made when I finish his appraisal. :D If so I can probably kiss the tree goodbye.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-16-2006, 6:23 PM
Don't ya just love it when a non-plan comes together?;)

Tyler Howell
05-16-2006, 6:38 PM
Your not really sorry Jeff:rolleyes: .
The picture gods will be appeased by a glimps of the finished product.:D
Fancy foot work and good gloat

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2006, 7:03 PM
Congrats on the Walnut haul....

But you better hide it from Traivs!!!!!:p :D

Corey Hallagan
05-16-2006, 7:26 PM
Congrats on the score there Jeff! I love turning walnut! Enjoy it!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
05-16-2006, 7:59 PM
Congrats Jeff. Seems to me there are several SMC'ers in your part of the country. One might have the saw to take the whole tree down.

Ernie

Larry Klaaren
05-16-2006, 8:52 PM
Just wondering . . . what is the chance of bringing whatever killed the tree home on a deal like this? That's how we got abug that kills Ash trees (or something) here in Indianapolis. Someone brought firewood from Michigan or Ohio. They ended up quarantining quite a large area.

Is there a "rule of thumb" or whatever for something like that?

Larry

Pat Salter
05-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I've heard that here in California if you bring wood in out of state and it has bark on it they make you dump it and then they burn it. something about the bugs in the bark. Not sure.