PDA

View Full Version : I bought the HDTV..

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2006, 5:18 PM
You guys have helped me down the path of HDTV knowledge,etc. Yesterday, I bit the bullet and bought a Samsung 56" rear project DLP 1080p. Being delivered tommorrow (wouldn't fit upright in my SUV. They void warranty if u lay it flat?!). Wall unit was delivered/installed today and Comcast arrives Monday to set up HD. I was impressed with the High Def of course but the 1080i signal on this set they showed me in store was outstanding. This set will do 1080P which is double the lines of resolution of a 1080i. Of course, you won't see those signals till end of this year I'm told. As you guys advised, I insisted on a test of a real live TV signal (non HD) and it was OK ( not great)and varied by station. CNN and Fox news were OK, Sportscenter was excellent, So I'm compromising on the current signal till more HD is available (now Comcast has only about 10 channels but most sporting events are in HD) and later on 1080p. Oh well. Ended up w a 56" only becuz found out it would fit in the opening for a few $ more w same technology.
So the adventure begins (probably quickly followed by buyers remorse?!:D ). I'm looking fwd to seeing "24" next Monday in HD!!! Thanks guys!! You all helped a lot!! Did I do OK??:confused: :)

Jim Becker
05-16-2006, 6:04 PM
Congrats, Jerry! Enjoy!

Ken Garlock
05-16-2006, 6:26 PM
Super Jerry, you did good.:cool: :)

Karl Laustrup
05-16-2006, 6:45 PM
Packers in HD on a 56" DLP TV. :D It just don't get any better. :D

Congrats Jerry. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Karl

Tim Morton
05-16-2006, 6:51 PM
Just in time for the Yankees Red sox games next week:D :D :D

My old fashioned 36" CRT has been having some problems this year with the shadow mask....someone remnd me why I am trying to keep it going again when I see all these great TV's for sale now?:D

I think you did great...that would be the direction i would go if I bought a new TV.

Bruce Page
05-16-2006, 7:40 PM
Jerry, a new TV is the same as a new tool...no pictures, it didn't happen! :D

Chris Padilla
05-16-2006, 8:22 PM
Yeah, where are the pics??? :mad:

John Miliunas
05-16-2006, 8:31 PM
Congrats, Jerry!!! Man, I bet that'll be wonderful watching the Pack on that bad boy. Almost like having Brett right in the room with you!!! :D (I'll be watching the games in my shop, as usual, on the old 27" CRT. :( )

Can't wait to see the pics of that beast tomorrow after it's delivered!!! :D :cool:

Bruce Page
05-16-2006, 8:51 PM
Can't wait to see the pics of that beast tomorrow after it's delivered!!! :D :cool:

He could'a taken some pics at the showroom! :p
Yer letting him off too easy!

Joe Mioux
05-16-2006, 9:27 PM
Jerry, a new TV is the same as a new tool...no pictures, it didn't happen! :D

ditto ......

Joe Mioux
05-16-2006, 9:27 PM
Yeah, where are the pics??? :mad:

and ditto again!!! lol

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2006, 9:34 PM
They just called and said would be delivered between 6-8 PM Tommorrow ( a bit late in the day?!). The suspense mounts.......Alrite, I'll try to get pics for you guys. Thursday OK?? Gives me a little time to sand off the "sample/not for resale" mark..:D Won't be able to have HDef until Monday which will make a better picture:)

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2006, 9:43 PM
[quote=Tim Morton]Just in time for the Yankees Red sox games next week:D :D :D

Hey Tim I saw on TV the last 2 games of the NYY-Boston series. Liked the young reliever and the final game 5-3 score. Didn't know there was another series this quick. Nervous about their chances but Schilling and Beckett started strong AND NY has the 2 injuries : Matsui and Sheffield but they are still loaded with talent!! Still Hopeful.
I can't believe how great SPORTS are in HDTV!! Its even keeping me out of the shop!!:)

Gregg Mason
05-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't think you'll have any regrets. Samsung was one of my top choices when I was looking too. I ended up with a Sharp 55" and after 3 years, I still like it.

Jerry Olexa
05-17-2006, 3:19 PM
Allright...it'll be delivered tonight but after lots of your polite picture nudging , here's some previews. This is the wall unit delivered yesterday to house the new toy(yeah I know I should've built it :) but I'm busy and slow and LOML happened to like this. Its not great wood IMHO but finished. it looks OK. I'd rather solid cherry and my hatchet work). The 2nd shot will show the cave in it ready to hold the new bad boy. I prewired most of this today. So we'll see. Real pics of HDTV will follow, I promise.:) :D

Jerry Olexa
05-17-2006, 9:56 PM
The truck showed up about 7PM and we had it installed and running by 720pm (only regular channels no HD). I'm blown away already by the brightness and pic quality (w/out HD or 1080p). So far so good..That beer tasted extra special tonight altho the Cubs were rained out. As promised, here are pics of the bad boy temporarily installed...Thanks for your help.:) :)

Jim Becker
05-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Page
05-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Fifield
05-18-2006, 4:36 AM
Excellent Jerry! Great choice - you'll love it even more when you have full HD.

Cheers,
Dave F.

Karl Laustrup
05-18-2006, 4:44 AM
Looking really good Jerry. :D

Now, hopefully you have my recliner in a position for optimal viewing. ;) :D You did get a recliner didn't you? ;)

Karl

Christopher Stahl
05-18-2006, 8:43 AM
Very nice. Enjoy the new setup.

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2006, 9:48 AM
[ :D

Now, hopefully you have my recliner in a position for optimal viewing. ;) :D You did get a recliner didn't you? ;)

Karl[/quote]

Karl: no recliner but have a long L shaped sofa that holds my weary body at perfect angle to see Brett and Co. :) Karl, I really miss your home updates. Hope you're all well and settled.....

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2006, 9:50 AM
Very nice. Enjoy the new setup.

Thanks Chris..BTW, what's the outlook on the Nittany Lions for this year after winning big 10 last year but many starters gone??

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Watched Norm build a fireplace mantel tonight on the BIG screen....I feel spoiled...But I don't have his tools or skill:D :) But its a great pic. Monday Ill get to see some shows in Hdef..Even the DIY shows looked better

Joe Mioux
05-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Jerry:

You redeemed yourself with the obligatory pics! :)

I wish you many eye-pleasing hours in front of the new TV.

Joe

Rick Doyle
05-18-2006, 11:10 PM
jerry,

congrats! your new t.v. even looks great on my computer screen!:)

a big wide-screen is definitely my next purchase for sure! i figure by the end of the summer in time for the new nfl season! that should give me enough time to convince you know who, or if that doesn't work, to make sure our 10yr old 32" toshiba has an accident:D !

Jerry Olexa
05-22-2006, 11:41 PM
I know I'm doing overkill on this post but I gotta tell you: Had the HD part hooked up today A.M. and Tonight watched the RedSox Yankee game plus 2 hour final of "24". Double WOW!! I'm impressed. HD is even better than the original dig signal. Costs more than I wanted but IMHO worth it. My tool budget took a hit . The Leigh jig will have to wait..:) :D Can't wait for football season.

Barry Beech
05-23-2006, 4:11 PM
If you like the discovery channel, the HD version will absolutely blow you away.

HD is a wonderful thing. :D