PDA

View Full Version : David Marks videos online

John Gregory
05-16-2006, 5:08 PM
http://www.djmarks.com/images/diygraphic.jpg

Now you can watch an episode of Woodworks everyday whenever you want on your computer! DIY is now offering Woodworks on the Woodworking Page of their website: www .diynet.com/diy/woodworking (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=ujdppvbab.0.5j4orvbab.c8fcgmbab.468&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diynet.com%2Fdiy%2Fwoodworking) . Each week a different episode of Woodworks will be offered for you to view for free.

I got this in email today. Right now there are two full shows available. So if you have never seen Davids Marks, here is your chance.

John

Shelley Bolster
05-16-2006, 5:23 PM
Hey John.......thanks for the heads up and Link. I am one of those who have never had the opportunity to watch David Marks although, like everyone who does woodworking, know about him. This is going to be great - thanks again.

John Gregory
05-16-2006, 5:48 PM
Shelley,
I am glad you can get to see David Marks in action. A while ago, we got a DVR from Comcast, and my wife gave me a DVD burner for Christmas, So I am in the process of recording his shows to DVD. I record then while I watch them, so that I can delete the pesky commerials. :D

Chris Padilla
05-16-2006, 6:06 PM
Uhm, how are you going about getting the video off the DVR and onto a DVD for burning? I have about 40 of his shows saved on my DVR but I'll be darned how I get them burned to a disc.... Even if the quality suffered a bit, I wouldn't mind. I have Dish Network DVR.

Ken Garlock
05-16-2006, 6:23 PM
Chris, get yourself an ATI Wonder card that has a TV built into it. Then, and this is a guess, pipe the DVR into the Wonder Card and save it to your hard disk. When that is done, use something like "creator" to cut the DVD.

Marty Walsh
05-16-2006, 7:02 PM
Chris,

I bought a relatively inexpensive Panasonic DVD recorder for just this purpose. The output of the DISH DVR goes into the input of the Panasonic. Hit play on the DVR, and record on the Panasonic....pausing the Panasonic during commercials, and voila, DM on DVD!

- Marty -

Curt Harms
05-16-2006, 7:02 PM
Uhm, how are you going about getting the video off the DVR and onto a DVD for burning? I have about 40 of his shows saved on my DVR but I'll be darned how I get them burned to a disc.... Even if the quality suffered a bit, I wouldn't mind. I have Dish Network DVR.

Dunno about other DVR's but we have a Panasonic ShowStopper. It has inputs & outputs just like a VCR. Hook the video & audio outs to the DVD recorder inputs and viola. RCA jacks on both devices. I've recorded some stuff to DVD with no problems.

Curt

Bruce Benjamin
05-16-2006, 7:14 PM

Chris, I record on a Panasonic machine that has a large hard drive
as well as a DVD burner. I have most of David Marks stuff recorded
as well as many other WW shows. I am easily able to edit the content
on the hard drive and when it's ready to go I can put quite a few shows
onto a DVD. There's a menu so I can select which episode I want to
watch. Depending on the the record speed I choose I can fit at least
a dozen shows onto a DVD and still maintain good video quality.

I'm not familiar with your setup at all but I would think that it would
be as simple as a line out from the DVR to a line in on your DVD burner.
My system is hooked up with a maze of cables, switches, decoders,
VCRs and DVD players so it's really complicated but it really doesn't
have to be that way if all you have is a few components. I wonder
is possibly Dish Network's DVR is set up to prevent you from recording
onto a DVD burner. Maybe have the line out from the DVR go through
the DVD burner on it's way to the TV. Mine has numerous inputs and
outputs so I didn't have to do it that way but that might work for you.
If nothing else, why not contact the place where you bought it/people
who installed it and see if they can give you a hand. Good luck!

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
05-16-2006, 8:04 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up!

Corey

Larry Klaaren
05-16-2006, 8:48 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this. I'll tell my woodworking pals to be sure not to watch this channel - it's bad for relationships and productivity.

Like Corey said: Thanks for the heads up!

Larry

Doug Shepard
05-16-2006, 9:29 PM
John - Thanks for posting this. I've only been able to catch about a dozen of his shows that were aired on HGTV. Cant wait to see more.

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2006, 9:45 PM
Good tip!! Thank you...

Dan Forman
05-17-2006, 3:33 AM
Seems to only work on Windows OS. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dan

Alan DuBoff
05-17-2006, 7:05 AM
Seems to only work on Windows OS. :mad: :mad: :mad: Yeah, I'm always annoyed by that also, since I rarely use Windows, and only when I'm forced to. This may be one of those cases...I feel so dirty...:o

Tom Jones III
05-17-2006, 9:23 AM
Yeah, I'm always annoyed by that also, since I rarely use Windows, and only when I'm forced to. This may be one of those cases...I feel so dirty...:o

Are the videos a full TV show or are they a 3 minute clip? In other words is it really worth digging out my windows box, dusting it off, installing all the patches I've missed over the years just to get the video?

Mark Pruitt
05-17-2006, 9:37 AM
It's a full show; done in clips approx. 10 min., with 30 second commercials in between.

Mark Singer
05-17-2006, 9:50 AM
Thank you! It is a great show!

John Hemenway
05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
In other words is it really worth digging out my windows box, dusting it off, installing all the patches I've missed over the years just to get the video?

Don't dispair, Mac users :) (I assume non-windoze users are using Mac)! Get WMP (Windows Media Player) from Microsoft and you will be able to see the videos. Quality is not what it should be - someone needs to teach the DIY folks how to compress video - but the movies will play.

Bill Eshelman
05-17-2006, 1:39 PM
Hi, I'm David...... Buffering...........

Marks. On todays episo...... Buffering............

de we will be building this... Buffering...........

How frustrating :confused:

John Gregory
05-17-2006, 2:00 PM
My DVD recorder is a table top unit, for use with a TV. It has both a VCR and a DVD recorder in the unit. I record it to DVD the same say I would record to tape. I pause the DVD recorder and FW through the ads.

John

John Gregory
05-17-2006, 2:02 PM
Are the videos a full TV show or are they a 3 minute clip? In other words is it really worth digging out my windows box, dusting it off, installing all the patches I've missed over the years just to get the video?

They are the full show. Segmented into sections, but will run start to finish.

Tom Jones III
05-17-2006, 2:15 PM
Don't dispair, Mac users :) (I assume non-windoze users are using Mac)! Get WMP (Windows Media Player) from Microsoft and you will be able to see the videos. Quality is not what it should be - someone needs to teach the DIY folks how to compress video - but the movies will play.

Mac schmack, I'm running linux. The web site doesn't recognize that I've got the proper version of macromedia flashplayer installed so it won't run the videos.

Jerry Strojny
05-17-2006, 2:29 PM
Something must be wrong or I have an older version of media player. It just shows a black screen but shows that it is buffering and playing, the sound is there...just no picture. Looks like I need to do some puter tinkering. (Rather be thinking about woodworking)

Dick Latshaw
05-17-2006, 2:39 PM
Mac schmack, I'm running linux. The web site doesn't recognize that I've got the proper version of macromedia flashplayer installed so it won't run the videos.

Loonix eh. Why don't you whip up a little Perl that will tell the web site what it wants to hear?:D I'd offer to help but I'm retired now and don't do Perl any more, only wood.

John Hemenway
05-17-2006, 3:05 PM

Well there's one in every crowd! :eek:

I don't think it's flash. The window and controls look much more like WMP. Don't know how you do that in linux. Yea, perl, that would do the trick. Just a little script ;)

Allen Bookout
05-17-2006, 3:13 PM
Same here. This is the only video that I have been unable to use on the web. When I run into a Microsoft set up site that tries to keep other operating systems from using it, even though it usually can be done, I just write them off of my list. I will not be bullied by Bill Gates or others that go along with him.

Allen

John Timberlake
05-17-2006, 6:49 PM
Thanks. I have only seen a few of his shows when they had it on HGTV. Don't get the DIY on my cable without upgrading to digital (someday). Love his show. By the way, he teaches great classes. Took one at Columbus, OH Woodcraft last Fall on gilding and patination that I loved.

Alan DuBoff
05-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't dispair, Mac users :) (I assume non-windoze users are using Mac)!Nah, UNIX here...otherwise known as Solaris. I run it on desktops and laptops alike.