PDA

View Full Version : Good price for Triton 3-1/4 hp router?

Peter Pedisich
05-16-2006, 1:19 PM
Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a Triton 3-1/4 hp router - never used - from a co-worker who bought it when woodworkers wharehouse was going out of business.
He is asking $200. Is this a fair price? It would be only used in my router table (Bench Dog Plate).

Thanks,

Pete

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-16-2006, 2:41 PM
Not if you can get it for $190.00 new with the warrantee.

The show price is $190.00.

I got it when after I went to a show and they wouldn't take my AMEX I called the Triton USA shop and they let me send 'em a check for the show price.
They were rather eager to sell it to me at that price too. I stalled a couple weeks and they called to remind me that I was supposed to be sending them a check.

I like it as a table router and as a table router it's worth the show price but no more. The cool thing about this router is so long as you are willing to reach under the table you don't need a router lift because it has a perfectly good fine adjustment and a hand winder too.

I do not like it as a hand held router. It's ungainly unsophisticated and has some serious flaws. The collet is patently inferior. Triton does not make a 3/8 collet but it coes with a 1/4" adaptor for the 1/2" collet.

Peter Pedisich
05-16-2006, 4:59 PM
thanks Cliff, Amazon has it brand new for $270 and as you noted the show price is even lower.

The only reason the Triton appealed to me was the table features and the 15 amps.

I'm probably better off just getting the Woodhaven EZ-Lift for my DW618.

-pete