PDA

View Full Version : Question for MV12 owners

Chris Oakley
09-02-2003, 5:33 PM
What is the best way to mount this in a table? I have attached the adjustment knob and have left the springs in. Will this be a problem? I will probably use it mostly in the table, but want to have the ability to use it by hand once in a while. Thanks

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-02-2003, 6:25 PM
What is the best way to mount this in a table? I have attached the adjustment knob and have left the springs in. Will this be a problem? I will probably use it mostly in the table, but want to have the ability to use it by hand once in a while. Thanks

It'll work just fine that way...but you're gonna get tired of cranking that knob. I know I am. That's why I'm gonna get a lift thingy of my own real soon.

KC

Todd Burch
09-02-2003, 7:35 PM
I have mine in a CMT router table (industrio), and have not modified the M12V one iota. Also, I've never used the knob (it has a knob?) to adjust the height. I simply unlock, push up with one hand, turn the hex nut up or down, let the router go ("fall" back onto the hex nut) and check my height. If it's not where I want it, I adjust again. Takes every bit of a few seconds. After locking again, it's ready to cut cut cut.

Bill Howatt
09-02-2003, 7:39 PM
I have mine in a table with the springs and knob. I find the knob fine for adjusting the height but I can't say I use it frequently. My table is also higher than a lot you see so I don't have to crawl on the floor to make adjustments or change the bits. Why some people build low tables is a great mystery to me.

Bill

Bob Oswin
09-02-2003, 8:38 PM
. Why some people build low tables is a great mystery to me.

Bill

You know Bill, I find myself down on my knees a lot more now that my eyes are not what they were.
I am considering lowering everything to the level where I am usually looking for the stuff I drop! :D

p.s I 'd like a look at your table. You may be on to something!

Bob

Scott Coffelt
09-02-2003, 9:00 PM
I originally mounted under the table with the Roussou plate and an adjustment knob. I too wanted to be able and remove the router for other use. It was fine but the knob is a PITA the springs compress so much your working against gravity as well. I then switched over to a WoodPecker Plunge Lift, worked much better as I could adjust from the top. My top height matches my TS as I have a small shop and everything must be able to handle over hangs.

The lift still was hard to raise all the way up with the springs. I got a great deal on a PC 693 kit, so I have three router. The kit gave me a plunge base, so I have since removed the springs (very easy) and decide to remove the ears as the larger bits I use hit. I can now handle pretty much any size bit I need. Glad I did both as the router raises with ease and I can micro adjust.

So, what am I saying? Try it the way you have it for now, if you find it a PITA you can always remove the springs. They can be reinstalled. Another option is the Router raiser. You can remove the springs and it provide top and bottom adjustment and for about $90 it is a nice feature.

John Christiansen
09-02-2003, 9:21 PM

I removed my springs, but then, I never plan to use it freehand, I have other routers for that.
I agree with Kirk, that the adjuster you get with the thing is awkward, but it works.
You can get a "router raizer" for 89.00 from lots of suppliers, and I intend to someday, but I have higher priorities for that 89.00 right now.

Chris Oakley
09-03-2003, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all your help. At the risk of exposing my stupidity, does it matter which direction the router is mounted?

Mike Circo
09-03-2003, 9:12 AM
Chris,
I tried it with the springs out and like them better in.

I use the adjustment knob but modified it slightly by using a cheap $1 metal spring clamp as a crank handle. The clamp fits over the knob and sticks out on a 90 degree handle. I just spin the "crank" with one finger and lock it down. I can get it all the way up or down in just a few seconds.

Leaving the springs in makes sure it doesn't have any thread slack or sticking when adjusting it down. The home grown crank makes it quick and easy to elevate. I have very fine accuracy with this setup and it only cost ONE DOLLAR.

Bill Howatt
09-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Hi Bob,

I was afraid somebody might want more details about it. While I have great hopes to build a custom one, perhaps this fall, what I currently use is a Sears table mounted on a piece of ply (the M12V just fit into it) and when I want to rout I clamp it to the top of the table that came with my Ridgid planer. This puts the router table top about 50" above the floor; if I were to build one I think I would probably drop this a couple of inches.

Bill