PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood Log Slice Desk

Jim King
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
We needed another desk in the office and I was tired of the same old desk look so we tried using bloodwood limb slices for something new. The base of the system is cutting hexegons out of the center row and going out from there. All the peices are held together with a criss crossed bottom suppurt screwed and glued to the bottom and two 1/2 inch rebar peices 3 inches into each side of each hex. The joints were routered out and filled with fiberglass resin mixed with sanding sawdust. We now have 20 large peices of a beautiful wood in the kiln and with luck will have a 24 person conference table in six months.

John Timberlake
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Wow! Now that is a one of a kind desk. Really neat design and I love the color of the bloodwood. Not something we in the states can get easily in this form. Lucky if we can find 2" boards. Can't wait to see the conference table.

Martin Lutz
05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
That is beautiful! The conference table will be stunning I am sure.

Bruce Benjamin
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow! That's really a beautiful and striking desk. And another
benefit is you can use it to cut your sandwiches on if you ever
have to work while eating your lunch. ;) Ditto that I'm looking
forward to seeing that conference desk too.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
05-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Very nice!!!

Roger Everett
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
That is so cool. Way to go on a unique design.
Roger

Lars Thomas
05-16-2006, 1:28 PM
That's a beautiful piece of work. Lars

Helen Gee
05-16-2006, 2:58 PM
wow, that is absolutely beautiful!!! If i had a desk like that to work on, maybe i'll actually get myself to work on time :p

Jerry Strojny
05-16-2006, 3:17 PM
Holy cow man!! That is really cool.

I need to start thinking outside the box more.

Can't wait to see the conference table.

Art Mulder
05-16-2006, 3:24 PM
Red is my favourite.

How much does that thing weigh? Are those two or three inch thick slices?

I'm not familiar with the properties of bloodwood. Will it retain the colour? Are you concerned about wood movement?

Wow. Just, wow.

Jim King
05-16-2006, 3:36 PM
Art: The bloodwood does not loose any color but may get a little darker. We are guessing it weighs about 450 pounds. These peices have been around the shop for longer than we emember and are quite dry. I dont expect any shrinkage as lomg as it stays here in the jungle but if it went to a heated dry home in the States I would expect it would crack. Now that we have done several tables and other things in the same manner we think we know what we are doing and are kiln drying a bunch of slices for normal and conference tables for export.

Jim Becker
05-16-2006, 5:58 PM
You folks did notice that Jim said "limb slices", didn't you??? I can only imagine what the trunk looked like!

Vaughn McMillan
05-16-2006, 6:07 PM
Jim, you're quickly making me very jealous of all the gorgeous wood you get to play with down there. It's almost as if the stuff grows on trees down there. (Oh wait...I guess it does, huh? Here in the states it only grows in limited quanities on store shelves.) :p

Beautiful work on the desk. Truly a one-of-a-kind item.

- Vaughn

Chris Padilla
05-16-2006, 6:08 PM
Holy Cow! Quite unique...you can also chop meat/onions on top of it! :D

Steve Clardy
05-16-2006, 6:21 PM
You folks did notice that Jim said "limb slices", didn't you??? I can only imagine what the trunk looked like!

Yes I did ;)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
05-16-2006, 6:31 PM
Actually, I think it must shrink on store shelves -- only thing that explains the pricing. ;)

Tyler Howell
05-16-2006, 6:31 PM
Those are Awesome Jim,
Well done.

Corey Hallagan
05-16-2006, 8:05 PM
Wow, awesome work, what a striking desk! Can't wait to see that conference table.

Corey