PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this on a jointer?

Dick Holt
09-02-2003, 4:20 PM
I am making a pendulum wall clock (Woodsmith issue #89). The case is approx. 12" wide by 24" high by 4" deep. The four sides are joined by tongue and dado joints. The top and bottom pieces (long grain) are not perfectly flush with the end grain of the sides. They are off very slightly. My question is this. If I clamp a piece of wood to the sides to back up the end grain, can I run the top/bottom over my jointer to flush it out? I would take very, very light cuts. I hope this is clear.
Thanks,
Dick

Todd Burch
09-02-2003, 7:31 PM
Yes you can, but I would belt sand them flush, then clean that up with a random orbit sander.

Richard Allen
09-02-2003, 9:10 PM
Hi Dick

The degree to which the jointer can distroy your project is a LOT greater than what sandpaper can do.

I have always thoight that it is better to feature a problem rather than trying to make it go away.

For your particular problem you might cut a "V" grove at thr joint so the flush nature is not detected.

Thanks

Jim Becker
09-02-2003, 9:13 PM
Been there...done that...Tear-out City, Dick. You will be better served either dressing the surface flush with a very, very sharp hand plane or by sanding it out. The jointer will surely result in disaster, IMHO.

Steven Wilson
09-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Dick,

Use the right tool for the job; a handplane!!!!!!!!!