PDA

View Full Version : Announcement

Shelley Bolster
05-16-2006, 1:19 AM
The message is gone, so am I

John Hart
05-16-2006, 6:32 AM
Wow...That is awesome news! Thanks Shelley! I'm already planning on making it to Big Mike's class. This is really exciting. Congratulations Travis!! No doubt that you'll be an inspirational teacher. :)

Cecil Arnold
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
That's good news Shelley, but if you were thinking about a beginners class you are already on the slope.

Ernie Nyvall
05-16-2006, 2:49 PM
Thanks for the news Shelley. Congrats to Travis.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
05-16-2006, 4:05 PM
Big Mike & Travis are going to Hoosier land!......Indiana will never be the
same ;) .

Jim Becker
05-16-2006, 6:01 PM
Very kewel! Thanks for letting us know, Shelley!

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2006, 6:23 PM
That's a special Congrats to both Travis and Big Mike!!!!!!:D

Travis Stinson
05-16-2006, 6:54 PM
Thanks Shelley. John, I'm excited about it and am looking forward to it. Plan to keep it fun.;)
Mike, that's a good thing, right?:D

Michael Stafford
05-16-2006, 7:06 PM
I plan on having fun and all the survivors will have some wonderful things to take home.....:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-16-2006, 7:20 PM
Thanks for the information, Shelley. :)

While YOU might now have slipped down the slope into the Vortex, it's Great to know that a Known INSTITUTION such as The American Sycamore Woodworking Retreat has succumed to The VORTEX.:D

Petty Officer Bruce
"Legion of the Lathe";)

BTW Shelley........................... What are YOU waiting for? A bombing Run?

Corey Hallagan
05-16-2006, 7:26 PM
Congrats to both of them! Good luck on your classes. Thanks Shelley!

Corey

Shelley Bolster
05-16-2006, 9:23 PM

Helen Gee
05-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Congrats Travis and Big Mike! George and I may need to make a trip out there and see if another addiction kicks in :eek:

Frank Chaffee
05-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Travis, Mike,
Dana and Shelley,
These classes sure sound like a wonderful prospect for turners to me.

Were I not committed to other activities (read; work(Yikes!!!)), for the remainder of this year I would certainly consider attending myself, even tho I have no lathe.

Travis and Big Mike especially, as well as no small number of other experienced and new turners have been presenting fabulous work here on the Creek. To be able to work closely with either or both of them in a small class would be an invaluable opportunity to learn both practical turning technique, and perhaps even more importantly, something of their creative form divining ways.

Myself, well, I am a very sensitive guy, maybe too sensitive, and long ago I resolved that I would avoid the Turners Forum entirely, but due to my optical mouse’s unpredictable actions I am continually confronted with sensuous beauty beyond my capacity for appreciation. Run as I may, I cannot hide.

Frank

Don Baer
05-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Travis, Mike,
Myself, well, I am a very sensitive guy, maybe too sensitive, and long ago I resolved that I would avoid the Turners Forum entirely, but due to my optical mouse’s unpredictable actions I am continually confronted with sensuous beauty beyond my capacity for appreciation. Run as I may, I cannot hide.

Frank

Frank,
Go with the force. Risistance is futile. You will be assimilated...:D

Michael Stafford
05-20-2006, 7:15 AM
Frank,

Frank, come to Cloverdale and begin the assimilation process....Guaranteed to be the most fun you ever have with your clothes on....:p ;) :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-20-2006, 7:41 AM
..................Tentative plans have me at American Sycamore around the time when Mike and Travis will be there so maybe I can convince one of them to at least show me how to turn one of those things on! :eek:.............

Shelly, Shelly, Shelly........

The easy part is turning them on, the HARD part is turning them off!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Once you do take the plunge, trust me, you will look back and say "Why did I wait so long!!! :eek:

Cheers!

Erin Raasch
05-20-2006, 8:06 AM
Once you do take the plunge, trust me, you will look back and say "Why did I wait so long!!! :eek:

Cheers!

Just make sure you have all your flat work done before you turn it on, because you may never get back to it! :D

Erin

Shelley Bolster
05-20-2006, 7:58 PM

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Frank, come to Cloverdale and begin the assimilation process....Guaranteed to be the most fun you ever have with your clothes on....:p ;) :D

Frank,

Now Frank on the other hand.......he is a Perfect candidate for assimilation.
This is Frank in Wisconsin; head bowed reverently, hands clasped in prayer, beseeching guidance from the Alturnity One:

“Oh Wholly One with all bonker round and vessel forms, how has it come to this time when accomplished and wannabe turners alike cast tantalizing invitations towards me, enjoining me to share in delights that are beyond both my wildest dreams and capacity for enjoyment???

While I admit to having appreciated the wild and free beauty released and expressed in turner’s works here on the Creek, I promise you in all sincerity that I never once considered entering the whorley path of the vortex that ultimately consumes them.

Please oh Whollyness, repel me from thy inward drawing force, which lurks as a dark and hidden shadow beneath the more apparent centrifugalality of thy nature.”

“Or should I jes get a lathe, and be done with it now?”

HELP!!!
Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2006, 1:13 AM
(in a loud resonant deep voice)Frank......GET A LATHE AND BE DONE WITH IT

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 1:38 AM
(in a loud resonant deep voice)Frank......GET A LATHE AND BE DONE WITH IT
Ken,
So little time,
So much wood.
What’s a man to do?
Frank

Michael Stafford
05-21-2006, 6:21 AM
Strategic Air Command, do we have any pressing missions or can we divert one sortie to Wisconsin....? :p :D

05-21-2006, 6:39 AM
So little time,
So much wood.
What’s a man to do?
Frank

That's a simple one, buy a chainsaw :D

John Hart
05-21-2006, 9:00 AM
Poor Frank.....Hands clasped and head bowed in fervent prayer as the vortex grabs his feet.....spinning deep into the abyssal...he suddenly throws his hands skyward, and in his last attempt to plea for a seemingly fleeting scrap of strength, can only utter....Yeeeee Hahhhh!!!! ;) See ya on the other side Frank!:)

tod evans
05-21-2006, 10:10 AM
for some reason i think the "spins" are nothing new to frank? so in all actuality he`s been a member all along just sans lathe..02 tod

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Frank just buy the lathe. It is futile to resist. Be done with it man. :p

David Duke
05-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Frank, I've been trying to watch Tylers back on this and as I posted in another thread us flatlanders know the value of working with ALL tools and that each has its appropriate use, but I must say

GIVE IT UP DUDE YOUR A GONER!!

Travis Stinson
05-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Sooo, Frank's getting a lathe huh? Awesome!:D

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 8:00 PM
Oh my Most Holey and Twisted One, whom I have willingly served as thy faithful supplicant by preening the feathers and combing the bark of those you have drawn into thy inexorably consuming vortex; ahh, how little didst I suspect until today that I was being groomed for that very whorlly ride myself.
HEEEELLLLLLPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank

Shelley Bolster
05-21-2006, 8:23 PM

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 9:42 PM
Does that mean, in simple English….
Preytell my dear Shelley, of what use would this “simple English” you speak of be put to on this Turny Forum???
Predatory jackals, all of them I say; continually nipping at one’s ankles and yapping incessantly in an effort to detract one’s attention from our most fundamental and implicit directive to avoid the abysmal plunge at any cost. …And you suggest that “simple English” is an appropriate tool to fend off their attacks???

I R GREEN MAN!... Growing straight and tall as do my fine friends of the forest, and I will resist the vortisimal tugs of the wormy hole ones as long as I am able!!!

Frank

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 9:45 PM
Frank - bend the knees, relax your grip, smile, and have a brew. Your day will come.

John Hart
05-21-2006, 9:56 PM
Yapping Incessantly? I'm not sure I would characterize it as "yapping". This is pure physics. It's a vortex. It sucks. We're just trying to prepare you so you don't scream........too much.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2006, 9:58 PM
Yapping Incessantly? I'm not sure I would characterize it as "yapping". This is pure physics. It's a vortex. It sucks. We're just trying to prepare you so you don't scream........too much.;)

John ..........Frank's right.........it's yapping......but we'd shut up if he'd just get a lathe and join the fun!:D

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Frank - bend the knees, relax your grip, smile, and have a brew. Your day will come.

John ..........Frank's right.........it's yapping......but we'd shut up if he'd just get a lathe and join the fun!:D
Thanks for the encouraging words guys, but why do I still feel uncomfortable about this assimilation thing???
Frank

Travis Stinson
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Don't fight it Frank................Throw your head back............Spread your arms wide...................and dive in. Fighting the allure of the vortex only makes it worse.;)

Michael Stafford
05-22-2006, 6:33 AM
Yapping....Yapping....Yapping! I take offense. Proselytizing to the unenlightened to reach for the exultation of the vortex is a mission, nay, a life's work for those of us charged with being disciples to the green shirted and bowler hatted turning avatars.

Frank, I have made arrangements for books of infinite wisdom, catalogs of earthly delights to be sent your way. USPS should be delivering paper catalogs filled wondrous offerings from Craft Supplies and Packard Woodworks guaranteed to further entice you into the delights of the vortex.

Let yourself go, Frank. Assimilation is good. Assimilation is normal. Be what you are meant to be....a turner...:D

05-22-2006, 6:44 AM
YLet yourself go, Frank. Assimilation is good. Assimilation is normal. Be what you are meant to be....a turner...:D

The whole "Circle of Life" thing eh? :D

John Hart
05-22-2006, 7:02 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words guys, but why do I still feel uncomfortable about this assimilation thing???
Frank

This is normal Frank. Right now, you feel like assimilation will steal your identity and uniqueness. But, in reality, after assimilation, your uniqueness remains intact. In fact....it gets enhanced! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 8:45 AM
And frankly John..........his uniqueness.........well assimilation is probably all we can hope for.........:eek: :D

tod evans
05-22-2006, 9:19 AM
quit buckin` frank........02 tod