PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Good or Bad Experiences?

Matthew Poeller
09-02-2003, 2:46 PM
Let me just introduce myself. My name to the left of your computer screen and I am from Olean, NY. I have been in the "business" for about a year now. I have posted on the pond before, but have only lurked here. With that said.

I was wonder after searching the net for a while what poeples take on Grizzly tools was. I see that they are somewhat cheaper than the Jet and Delta that my shop is currently stocked with. I am specidically interest in one of the lathes that they have. Good and bad is welcome but I do not want anyone to bash them. And please only people that have owned or currently own Grizzly please reply. Thank you in advance.

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-02-2003, 2:54 PM
I've always thought that I got a fair value for the cost from their equipment. It's not the best equipment out there, but it's certainly performed very well for the cost. There equipment compares very well to my Jet & Delta tools.

Sam Chambers
09-02-2003, 2:59 PM
Matthew:

I have had a Grizzly drill press (12 speed floor model) for about a year and a half. While it has not seen heavy use, I've been very happy with my purchase. Can't speak to their customer service because I haven't needed it.

I think what you'll find is that most folks are generally pleased with their Grizzly machines. While many folks say the "fit and finish" is not always the best, the machines usually seem to perform well and they seem to take good care of their customers if something isn't right. That's what got me started looking at Grizzly in the first place. I didn't care what my drill press looked like; what mattered to me was that it worked right, and so far it has.

Of course, the old saying holds true - you can't please all of the people all of the time. Grizzly certainly does have their detractors, but so do Delta, Jet, Powermatic, Dewalt and everyone else.

Maybe if you told us what machine(s) you're considering, you'll be able to find someone with specific experience with that model.

Jay Sullivan
09-02-2003, 3:49 PM
I have five large Grizzly tools and have been happy with all of them. The few times I have had a problem (shipping damage for example) they have been quick to fix the problem. I think they are a great value and have performed well. I do not own a Grizzly lathe, so can't comment on them.

Dick Howard
09-02-2003, 3:51 PM
Hello Mathew, I've bought three major tools from them and have had excelent service. No complaints here.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Scott Coffelt
09-02-2003, 5:24 PM
I have the 1023S, IMHO it is well worth the money. The quality is excellent for the price paid. It arrived on its side, but that was not the mfr's fault but the trucking company. It came out of the box just fine, instructions were fine.

I also have a 12" disk sander. Form Fit and Finish is not up to par with the Delta or Jet products, it does produce good results but you can see why it is $40 cheaper. It arrived damage, Grizzly service was great, they sent me a new one no questions asked and arranged for pick up of the old. They also followed up to make sure the second arrived to satisfication. Seems to me that this is pretty good service.

I know many who have their lathes and are happy with them, the more expensive models are better made than the lower priced models. I think much depends on which model you are comparing to what.

As mentioned, often you get much more for the $$$'s spent with Grizzly, but some tools are not up to the same level. Heck, your starting to see that with the other brands you mentioned when it comes to the lower end of their lines these days.

Finally, there have been some folks who have had really bad service with Grizzly, but most find them to easy to deal with. Good Luck with your purchase decision.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-02-2003, 5:25 PM
I really like my Grizzly Bandsaw and DC System. They are both quality machines, and they do what I expect them to....................that is about all you can ask, IMO.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-02-2003, 6:47 PM
I think it depends on the individual tool. We've got some Grizzly at the mesquite outfit, and we've used it much harder than most folks ever will...and I'll say probably harder than other 'commercial' users simply because it sits on a patio and gets some weather now and then and we don't really take care of things as well as we should. :( I try to factor that in when I make comments...

I've been extremely pleased with the 1033 planer (20"), and plan to buy one for my own shop in the next year or so.

Until recently, I was very pleased with the 'old model' 8" jointer. We've started to have some problems in that it simply won't stay in adjustment. I'm not sure what the specific problem is, but I suspect the outfeed table has gone wanky somehow. Somebody may have banged into it with something, but I can make it right at 8:00, and by noon it's not right again...and sometimes even if nobody's using it in between.

We had some issues with a 1023ZX tablesaw...replaced the arbor bearings a couple times, and never could align the table such that a miterslot was parallel to the blade (notice I said miterslot, because I'm pretty well convinced the left and right weren't parallel to each other, also). Had much trouble with the height adjustment staying put over the years. It simply wasn't pleasant to use. That said, it cut just a helluva lot of wood until we replaced it a little while back with the JET.

No problems at all with the 1029 dust collector, and I think it sucks better than my JET 1100. If I were buying one of those two again, I'd buy the Grizzly.

We had the 6x48/9" disc combo unit (1014?), and it was utterly useless far as I'm concerned.

These were all purchased in 1999 I think...so there may have been some quality improvment.

KC

Jim Becker
09-02-2003, 9:33 PM
I bought my first Grizzly tool (G1276 1725 rpm combo sander) earlier this year and have been very happy with the product, product value and company. The only reasons I haven't done more business with these folks are that I have an awesome local tool dealer that I like to patronize and because I'm in PA, I get stuck paying both freight and sales tax when I "buy from the bear". That erases most of the financial incentive for me.

That being said, the lathes are serviceable, but uninspiring, unlike their excellent 1023 series saws and 8" jointers. I've turned on two of the "better" models. One of them is remarkably similar to the Jet 1236 in most ways including the "standard" 1" x 8 tpi spindle...something that should be considered. Some of their lathes use unusual threading, etc. That complicated buying accessories. I would say that these lathes are fine as starter lathes (although I don't believe in that concept anymore) or for folks who primarily do spindle turnings for furniture, etc. (IMHO, of course) But given that lathes are specialized tools that are extremely addictive, you may want to consider alternatives for this particular purchase.

Jim Baker
09-02-2003, 9:42 PM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek, Matthew. I'm glad you are here.

As far as Grizzly is concerned, I can not help you. I have not yet done any business with them. My big equipment is all Jet. Every experience I have had with Jet has been positive with the possible exception of the manuals. They leave a little to be desired.

Matthew Poeller
09-03-2003, 8:19 AM
I think that all of you have been very helpful. I did not want to limit my question to just one machine. I wanted to get a view for the whole company. That is exactly what I got. Thank you to all who replied.

Jay Albrandt
09-04-2003, 7:45 PM
In my opinion, Grizzly equipment is only fair. If you really do your research like I did before I bought a machine from them, you will find that they have a reputation of having "ok" equipment that usually requires "tweaking" to get it dialed in.

The real issue that you should consider is the customer service that you will receive when you have a problem with a piece of Grizzly equipment (I say "when" because you have a much higher chance having a problem with a grizzly machine than Delta or Jet). Grizzly customer service cannot even hold a candle to Jet. Can't say anything about Delta because I don't own any.

I had one experience with Grizzly and their Customer Service Department and it was enough for me to return the machine and swear I would never buy other one. Jet is legendary for their customer service and I think that alone (not counting the far better quality of equipment) is worth the extra money.

No affiliation and just my two cents. If you are curious, I detailed the account here.

Jay

Dennis McDonaugh
09-04-2003, 9:51 PM
I agree with KC on Grizzly tools. I've seen them discussed on different boards and some tools are great and others are not so great. I have the 8" jointer and its a wonderful tool for the price. It also appears that their quality has improved the last few years.

Tom Pritchard
09-05-2003, 9:21 AM
Hello Matthew! I see you live in Olean, NY, also home of the Beef & Barrel! My wife is from Ridgway, PA, so we go through Olean on the way to visit, and always stop for dinner there.

About the Grizzly tools. I own their radial drill press (G9969), and their 2HP dust collector (G1029) which I refit with the Jet canister filter. They are well made tools, and I have not had a bit of trouble with either. In my opinion, their higher end products are well made and a pretty good value. The lower end products are marginal.

It may be worth a day trip to the Muncy, PA showroom for you. It's located just outside of Williamsport, and is an excellent place to put your hands on their equipment and judge it for yourself. The salespeople are very helpful, and not pushy at all.

Good luck in your decision!

Ed Breen
10-12-2004, 6:27 PM
Mathew,

I've got two griz's. The 1023 5hp, 3ph I bought at the Springfield store. It was delivered with no proble, assembled and has performed well ever since. I also own the 6" jointer with the same results. I believe that I received good value for my money.
Ed

Jim Martin
10-12-2004, 7:28 PM
I bought a contractor's saw and was not pleased with it. That was 4 or 5 years ago. Last year I needed a drill press that I could drill holes 20 inches from all edges of the material and bought a radial drill press from them. I got better results making up a jig and drilling by hand. I have read a lot of good things about some Grizzly tools but I will never buy another without seeing it first.

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 8:12 PM
My Griz 1023Z table saw has been great going on 4 years now. Zero problems so I had no need to involve CS. I seriously considered getting a high-end jointer and planer from them (12-16" and 20-24", respectively) but decided I couldn't afford the room of two separate machines and instead went with a Euro combo jointer/planer machine.

I think most people are happy with their Grizzly machines but as always, it pays to do your research on the particular item of interest. Search the wood mags, ask opinions here. I think their table saws are an outstanding value for the money but that is all I have from them. I went with a Delta drill press (16.5" one) due to a mag article and I've gone with a MiniMax 20" bandsaw (found a good used one) and 16" J/P so I've got quite a mix in my garage right now.

Dick Parr
10-12-2004, 8:24 PM
I own 5 green machines, :D the 1023SL Table Saw, 15" Planner, 2 hp DC, Belt/Disk Sanding Combo and 18" bandsaw. I love all of them and they give me no problems. The couple of times I had shipping damage Grizzly took care of it right away and made things right. They are great anytime you need help with anything you have purchased from them.

Bill Turpin
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Wife purchased this for my Christmas gift '02. It was all she could afford at the time. If she had purchased a Jet or Delta, I would have waited another year. I have made several dozen Freedom Project pens and mostly other spindle work. I have made a couple of 8" green-wood butternut bowls. For the money, I am quite pleased with it. It is built very substantialy, but it could have more motor horsepower. As a first lathe for learners it is good. Learn to turn, figure out what you want your lathe to do, and upgrade to what will suit your style of turning. Of course, if you are rich, then buy the best first. :-)

Bill in WNC mountains

Larry Crim
10-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Welcome Matthew

I have 3 machines from Griz, 1023sl ts,0500 8" jointer and 14" BS. I agree with what was said earlier most of thier popular models are well worth the money, you may sacrafice some finish to get more bang for the buck but all in all they have been vey good for me and the customer serv has been exceptional, Petty much a no frills well built basic machine. I have friends that have bashed them in the past but most of them have atleast one geen machine in thier shop now.
Good luck Pat

Kelly C. Hanna
10-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I have three green machines in my shop...two of which I bought brand new. I can tell you that I am very pleased with all 3 machines. I have the 1023s 3" cabinet saw & slider, 1182hw 6" jointer and a older DC unit.

Christopher Stahl
10-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I have the G0500 8" Jointer and the G0555 14" Bandsaw and have been happy with both. Didn't need to call customer service for either. I live less than an hour away from the Muncy store, so I will continue to buy Grizzly since they are close by and I've had great experinces with them.

As Kevin said, they continue to do what I bought them to do. :)

chris

Jack Norfleet
10-13-2004, 12:05 AM
I bought a G0500 8" jointer this year and I am very pleased with the experience. It arrived in Orlando in good shape and it performs wonderfully. I would buy it again.

Bob Smalser
10-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Griz jointer and planer, Rockwell drill press, Delta bandsaw, TS and lathe.

The 3-year-old Griz machines hang in there to the same standard as Delta so far.

Kent Cori
10-13-2004, 9:59 AM
First, welcome to SMC Matthew. I think you'll find the temperature of the water here to your liking and we're always happy to have another member. :cool:

I have the Griz 1023SL cabinet saw (2.5 years old), 1182HW 6" joiner (1.5 years) and G0555 14" band saw (1 year). As you can probably guess from this progression, I have been very happy with these machines. The saw arrived with a minor scratch in the paint and customer service immediately sent me a pint can to cover the scratch. Other than a couple of questions during setup (amazing what you can learn from CS when they point out the information you need in the instructions you didn't read closely enough), I've had no other need to contact their CS.

I also have one of their $59 President's Day special jigsaws and it has served me well.

I don't have any of their lathes. Instead, I bought the Harbor Freight 34706 lathe, which is a clone of the Jet 1236 and very similar to the G5979 lathe. The major difference is that the HF lathe has a 3/4 hp motor compared to the Griz's 1/2 hp motor. The HF unit also cost me only $200 so it was less expensive. It is a great starter lathe but I am beginning to outgrow its capabilities. However, for only $200, I have certainly gotten my money's worth.

I will buy Griz equipment again. I am targeting the G0512 edge sander next. However, before I buy any power tool, I always inquire of our fellow SMC members as to their experience with a given brand/model. The feedback they provide is far superior to any magazine tool review I've seen. :)

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2004, 11:06 AM
I have their cabinet saw, 17" bandsaw and the 12" disk sander. I wouldn't trade the bandsaw nor table saw for another in the market, considering the price to value. Service has been great.

The 12" disk is fine, though I would rather have the Delta for a few pennies more.

Personally, I wouldn't doubt if both Jet and Grizzly are the same tool from the same plant.

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Silly me I had already replied to this before.... duh, why don't you read all the posts before you type..... :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 11:23 AM
We know you are just reinforcing your thoughts, Scott...must be that teenage kid driving brain cells out of your ears!! ;)

Tom LaRussa
10-13-2004, 11:25 AM
I was wonder after searching the net for a while what poeples take on Grizzly tools was.
Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the Creek. :)

I have a few Grizzly items:

18 guage brad nailer -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H5527&box=1 -- great tool for very cheap; it's never jammed on me once;
router bits (plywood sized straight cutting set) -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H5559 -- don't know how long they'll last, but they were a great buy for the price, and include a cute little box to store them in;
dial indicator w/magnetic base, (President's special) -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G9849 -- awesome price, just wish I had bought the set with the dial caliper too -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H3022
bench-top drill press -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G9986 -- my one semi-clunker; I say semi-clunker because I got it on sale for $39.95, and how much can one expect from a $39.95 drill press? Has plenty of power, but the lid over the belts on top of the machine has never fit right and the chuck has more runout than I'd like -- tends to wobble when cutting thick metal if I'm not using a very sharp bit.
G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0555 with 6" extension block kit -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=H3051& -- and magnetic base light -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G5683& I got the whole shebang, delivered, for just a hair over $500, which I think is an incredible deal. The standard features on this "basic" saw are, IMHO, amazing, including: ball bearing guides; miter gauge (okay) and fence (pretty good); 4" dust port; and a quick tension release lever. This is far and away my favorite tool in the shop -- I seem to find some excuse to use it every day, and I haven't even gotten around to putting a decent blade on the thing yet.

Ray Dockrey
10-13-2004, 12:12 PM
I only have one Grizz machine and that is the G0555 14" bandsaw with the riser kit and I love it. I have had it since March and it is one of the best deals I have got. We use it all the time. My son has just started turning pens and he uses it to cut his pen blanks as he feels more comfortable with it then the mitre saw or the tablesaw. Everything with my order went well from ordering to delivery. There is something they offer that most peopole don't know about. You can call them and they can refer you to somebody who has the same machine that you are looking at. I did this and a gentleman about two miles from me had one. I got to look at his and here it run before I ordered. He didn't have the riser block but at least I got to see one. He was even still using the stock blade that comes with it and he was happy. I took him the blade that came with mine since I didn't need it because of the riser block. It was the least I could do for taking the time to show me his saw. Welcome to the creek.