PDA

View Full Version : Come in Tokyo,,,

George Conklin
05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
I thought I'd post the pictures of the crating process of Stu's lathe

It was 100+ in the shop this day. Probably going to be triple digets for the rest of our summer.

Here you go, Stu.

Enjoy

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Alright Stuf. Looks like George packed that baby up in A1 fashion. Good job George!

Corey

George Conklin
05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks, Corey.

Jim Dunn made a great suggestion of lubricating the exposed metal parts. Thanks, Jim;) . I've sprayed the bed rails with T-9 Boeshield.

If anyone else has other ideas, speak up! I've never shipped anything overseas before, so I'm pretty much clueless. I tried as best I could to secure her down.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Roger, Roger, Tokyo here....... :D

Looks fantastic, I don't even think that FedEx could damage that one............ well, not with out extra work..... :rolleyes: ;)

I've been in touch with the Shipper, and the details are being worked out.

I've sent you a PM and e-mail now, so we are on track.

I'm SO excited!! :D

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
05-16-2006, 12:54 AM
I've heard its cheaper to ship to Tokyo via Anchorage AK.:eek: PM me for my address. I can pick it up, check it out to make sure it is "Stu-worthy", then send it on its way.....

You might want to put a few arrows pointing "UP" on all 4 sides. That way they'll know what side to put down......

P.S. Nice crate job and BEAUTIFUL shop, George!

05-16-2006, 1:46 AM
Yeah, sure Barry, I guess I can expect it after the thaw in 2007 ;)

Yep, George has done a great job for sure!

Cheers!

Greg Koch
05-16-2006, 2:02 AM
Not only a very nice job packing....but that is one sweet looking lathe... (and I ain't even a turner...ROF ROF)

You're gonna have some fun soon, Stu.

Greg

05-16-2006, 2:58 AM
Not only a very nice job packing....but that is one sweet looking lathe... (and I ain't even a turner...ROF ROF)

You're gonna have some fun soon, Stu.

Greg

I think so!

Greg is the kind Creeker who has helped me with arranging the shipping, even though he is not a turner.......... yet (got another one on the line guys!!! :D)

Thanks Greg!!

Cheers!

Jim Dunn
05-16-2006, 6:45 AM
(and I ain't even a turner...ROF ROF)

It's obviously just a matter of time. When you start admiring lathes the vortex has you by the short one's.:eek::eek::o

John Hart
05-16-2006, 7:12 AM
I'm really excited for you Stu. She sure is pretty!!;) :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2006, 7:58 AM
Stu that is great. Isn't it great when a plan comes together.;)

05-16-2006, 8:18 AM
Stu that is great. Isn't it great when a plan comes together.;)

Well here is hoping, once it is on my door step, I'll breath a sigh of relief.

Shipping something like this can be a hassle, and that is one thing I want to avoid, I know George don't need the trouble, as he has been rather generous with his time making a crate and all.

It seems the only thing that we have to wait on is the truck shipping company picking the crate up from George, I sure hope that goes smoothly, from there it should just take some time.

Over here, I'll get a fax from the shippers, and I'll have to do a bank transfer, then they deliver it.

I'm going to Austria from June 6th to 12th, I hope it works out so the lathe is here when I get back, or better yet, just after I get back, so my lovely wife don't have to deal with it.

MAN I can't wait to get it, and get turning on it!

I'm at the point where I don't want to do much more on the C-man lathe for bowls, now I'd rather do some pens on it. :D

Need that live center!

Cheers!

Jim Becker
05-16-2006, 8:29 AM
A fine piece of crating work!!! Hopefully, the shipper will not take eons to get it to the dungeon!!

05-16-2006, 8:47 AM
I thought I'd post the pictures of the crating process of Stu's lathe........

BOY i like the sound of that, when you look at the pics, and see that tasty DVR sitting there.... :D

Christopher K. Hartley
05-16-2006, 12:14 PM
George, You need to conduct a workshop for the guys at Jet on how to crate a lathe. They have a lot to learn. Nice job!:)

Frank Chaffee
05-16-2006, 2:09 PM
George,
That pallet is good and sturdy. When the crate is loaded into a container it may be forked from the side or skidded from the end. That pallet will be fine either way.

What my concern would be is that the cubage in the container will be absolutely maximized, so crates will be stacked. Two things I would do regarding that would be to paint “DO NOT TOPLOAD” on the crate, and should that be ignored, wrap the top of the crate with 2x4’s, and drop two studs at each corner to the pallet surface.

Let me add that you are one heck of a guy to work with Stu and others to get this lathe to Japan, and I will also be looking forward to seeing what he does with it!

Frank

Mike Ramsey
05-16-2006, 4:01 PM
George, looks like you do pretty fair flat work too, just don't make it a
habit! :cool: .

05-25-2006, 2:36 PM
Well, the lathe arrived in Tokyo, well Narita, on Tuesday afternoon. The pushed it thorugh customs etc Wednesday/Thrusday, and tomorrow, well today, around noon it should be delivered.

It is now 3:30 AM, should be here in 9 hours :eek: :D :D

Cheers!

Scott Donley
05-25-2006, 3:44 PM
Well, the lathe arrived in Tokyo, well Narita, on Tuesday afternoon. The pushed it thorugh customs etc Wednesday/Thrusday, and tomorrow, well today, around noon it should be delivered.

It is now 3:30 AM, should be here in 9 hours :eek: :D :D

Cheers!I'll be right over to help you set it up :D

05-25-2006, 8:55 PM
Trucking guy just called, he is two hours early!!:eek:

Frank Chaffee
05-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Awesome Stu,
And congratulations, but I am still wishing for you to set that fine baby on your rooftop and turn with the vista from Tokyo as your backdrop!:cool:
Frank

05-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Have to admit, that would be sweet! :D

But I've have to build something around it, and take the bandsaw up there, and the tax man would charge me for more floor space on our building etc. etc. etc, so the Dungeon it is!

The truck arrived just as I had to go for a delivery, thus I grabbed it off the back of the truck, plunked it down behind my van, near the Dungeon hatch and went on the delivery.

Now I'm upstairs getting the Digi camera, can't make the PP angry, he has that thong thing now!! :eek:

Stay tuned! :D

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Cumon stu we want pictures...:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Stu what a great day for you. I am happy for you. You are going to have a ball now. Let us see some pictures.

Barry Stratton
05-26-2006, 2:23 AM
Stu's in shock and can't type at the moment. Seems there was a problem with the forklift driver who offloaded it from the boat. If he'd have listened to me and had it shipped via Anchorage, I'd have had it on a different boat that would have arrived while the A-Team was on duty:eek:

Just kidding.

WHERE'S THE DARN PICS STU!!!!!!!!!

05-26-2006, 3:04 AM
Huh...... who me.....:confused:

pictures of what....:confused:

Oh............ the lathe..... ;) :rolleyes: :D

Recognize that box???

Top off, looks like everything made it OK

I tell you, George did a great job crating this up, I've got a whole pile of lag bolts and screws now!

Going down to the Dungeon :D

Look at that....!!

05-26-2006, 3:14 AM
Well, I got to say, sure is nice....

Yummy chips!!

Did not have the time to finish this one, had to come to work :(

Well, what do I think......?

I like it, I like it... :D

Boy is it smooth, and boy is it nice to just punch a button and set the speed.

I put a couple clamps on it to hold it down, but really, as I can turn the speed down so low, it is really nice.

Just for fun, I cranked this blank up to 600 rpm, like the slowest speed of some of the lower priced lathes out there, and boy that was scary!

This thing is HEAVY, I just about busted a nut getting it onto the work bench, but it is there.

I figure I'll use the 3/4" plywood from the crate to make a platform for the C-man lathe.

Got to get the C-man moved and do some work on the stand for the DVR....

Boy am I pleased! :D

Barry Stratton
05-26-2006, 3:26 AM
Congrats Stu, I'm happy for you buddy!

And George - folks like you are what make this place GREAT.

I can sleep easy tonight, knowing the VORTEX is satisfied.

05-26-2006, 3:36 AM
Congrats Stu, I'm happy for you buddy!

And George - folks like you are what make this place GREAT.

I can sleep easy tonight, knowing the VORTEX is satisfied.

Boy can you say that again!!

Cheers!

Steve Ash
05-26-2006, 5:33 AM
Congrats Stu on the new arrival! And Hats off to George for making it happen.:cool:

John Hart
05-26-2006, 6:27 AM
Wow..you sure move fast Stu!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:) :) :)

George...You are a fine human.;)

05-26-2006, 6:47 AM
Wow..you sure move fast Stu!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:) :) :)

George...You are a fine human.;)

He is also something else, but I'll let him spill the beans on that one (Come on George, that is one heck of a gloat, you got to share!! :D)

Yes he is now going to kill me!!

Pete Jordan
05-26-2006, 7:49 AM
There is no stoppin you now Stu! I can't wait for all the new projects!

Pete Jordan
05-26-2006, 8:04 AM
Awesome Stu,
And congratulations, but I am still wishing for you to set that fine baby on your rooftop and turn with the vista from Tokyo as your backdrop!:cool:
Frank

Like this:

Greg Koch
05-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Congrats, Stu! Glad it came through and is "a spinnin' away"...:D

Don Baer
05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Congrats Stu. I'm sure your gonna love that machine

05-26-2006, 2:21 PM
Thanks Greg, and a big thank you again for help in getting the shipping arranged, Jun was great to work with.

Cheers!

05-26-2006, 2:21 PM
Congrats Stu. I'm sure your gonna love that machine

Thanks Don, I already do! :D

05-26-2006, 2:35 PM
OK, I finished up that rough out.....

Yes, I cleaned the ways right away!

Headed to be dunked in DNA!!

Corey Hallagan
05-26-2006, 3:26 PM
Congrats Stu, Youre going to love that lathe!! Awesome!

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-27-2006, 1:30 PM
Congratulations, Stu! And big ups to George! This is a facet of the Creek that lifts my heart. :)

Frank Chaffee
05-27-2006, 2:26 PM
Hey Stu,
Spinning in less than a day! Delivery two hours early! Nice machine arrives ready to go, and all in one crate!
Looks like your spinny travels are getting easier and faster.:cool:

George,
Great crating job and shipping arrangements! I always had to build crates like bunkers to keep product from getting damaged before it left our plant.:eek: Yours traveled really well!:)

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2006, 2:29 PM
Congrats Stu! Way to go George! Some of the nicest people hang out here!

Frank Chaffee
05-27-2006, 2:34 PM
Awesome Stu,
Frank

Like this:
Actually Pete,
I was thinking that a view more like this would be inspiring:
39532 or this;39533

Frank

George Conklin
05-27-2006, 7:16 PM
Wow... You guys are bringing a tear to my eye with all of the nice things you're saying about me:o .

You don't know how glad I am to hear you got the lathe and you like it. Especially after I realized I forgot to put a shipping address on the crate (DOH)!!!!!! I guess I'd figure out soon enough, huh.

Not to hi-jack your thread, Stu... Wait a minute... I started this thread:D . As Stu mentioned earlier, I do have a gloat. Just a little one. My daughter just gave us our first grandchild! I guess it might be a big gloat depending on how you look at it:rolleyes: .

We just got back from visiting with her in San Diego. What a trip. Ah,,, not the traveling kind of trip, but the mind bending kind:cool: . Mom and baby, (Sophia Rose), are doing well. I'm still in a fog.

Glad the lathe is working out for you, Stu. I 'm going through stiff learning curve on the new mustard:D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2006, 7:49 PM
Now Grandpa George............You know the rules........No Photo of you holding Sophia Rose.........it didn't happen!:eek: Congrats Grandpa and Grandma! Life is really good!

John Hart
05-28-2006, 6:41 AM
Congratulations Grandpa!! Sophia Rose will be needing a set of hollowing tools. (pink of course!);) :)