PDA

View Full Version : An experiment and a question

Lee DeRaud
05-15-2006, 7:08 PM
Sort of a pseudo-segmented pseudo-hollowform...think of it as a prototype/proof-of-concept thingie:
About 5" diameter, 3-1.5" tall, California Powderwood.

Question for the open-segmented experts: what's the preferred method for finishing the "holes"?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2006, 7:17 PM
Air brush them?:D

Lee DeRaud
05-15-2006, 7:20 PM
Air brush them?:DOh great, yet another tool I don't own...yet.:eek:

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 7:53 PM
If color is going on the edges of the openings, I'd almost consider finishing them prior to the final shear cuts (and/or sanding) on the outside to get a very keen deliniation between that color and the contrasting surface of the vessel. In that manner, you're turning away anything that ended up on the outside of the piece.

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2006, 8:56 PM
Dang Lee, you are just exploring all the edges of the Vortex! Nice work!

Corey

Keith Burns
05-15-2006, 9:22 PM
Lee, I use spray deft on the inside while on the lathe while it is running. Then if needed I use a q-tip to coat the spaces. Interesting concept thingie by the way.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-15-2006, 9:25 PM
You da Man! very interesting. I'll bet you were the kid in school who was the idea guy. Nice work.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-16-2006, 2:56 AM
Cool concept! How long did it take you to set this up?

Vaughn McMillan
05-16-2006, 5:18 AM
Wow Lee, it didn't take you very long after getting started in this lathe stuff before you started pushing the envelope. Cool concept, and it looks good to me.

- Vaughn

John Hart
05-16-2006, 6:49 AM
If it were me, I'd do what Keith says. He's the SegMaster.:) What about Black Lacquer for the holes?
Nice looking piece Lee!!:)

Lee DeRaud
05-16-2006, 10:11 AM
If it were me, I'd do what Keith says. He's the SegMaster.:) What about Black Lacquer for the holes?
Nice looking piece Lee!!:)Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

I'm starting to lean that way: rough the outside, finish-turn the inside, mask the outside and spray from the inside with black lacquer before the top gets glued on. Finish-turning the outside will take care of any overspray.

But I did discover that buffing something with holes in it gets exciting, plus you have to clean a bunch of stuff out of the holes afterward.

(Heh...nobody wants to ask what "California Powderwood" is.)

Ernie Nyvall
05-16-2006, 2:41 PM
That certainly looks different. Nice work Lee.

Ernie

Vaughn McMillan
05-16-2006, 5:57 PM
...(Heh...nobody wants to ask what "California Powderwood" is.)
I was gonna ask if you got any good curlies off that powderwood. ;) Looks like you got a piece with a nice neutral grain pattern and no knots. :p

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
05-16-2006, 7:09 PM
I was gonna ask if you got any good curlies off that powderwood. ;) Looks like you got a piece with a nice neutral grain pattern and no knots. :pActually, the curlies I got when I was hogging out the inside were truly amazing: basically one long strand for each pass from rim to center. Slightly different story when using the scraper, though.:eek:

Buffed up a lot nicer than I expected...and dirt cheap, eh.:cool:

Barry Stratton
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Okay, I'll bite.....Whats California Powderwood??????

Cool looking "concept" BTW..........

Lee DeRaud
05-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Okay, I'll bite.....Whats California Powderwood??????MDF :D :cool: :p :eek:

Lee DeRaud
05-18-2006, 4:58 PM
"Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Similar glue-up, this one using poplar, walnut, and cherry. Bottom half blew up big-time while hollowing the inside: long on holes, short on structure.:eek: So I just went ahead and glued on the top, which was now way too big...hence the odd places where the slots wrap onto the sides. Sort of a laminated wood hockey puck.:p
Live and learn.

Don Baer
05-18-2006, 5:23 PM
Geez, Lee looks like someone slammed the oven door you soufle fell..:D

You are pushing the envelope.good work.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-18-2006, 6:12 PM
No, not a souffle... It's an overproofed yeast roll. :)

That is truly an interesting form. I like it.