PDA

View Full Version : A couple of wedding wine glasses

Joe Breid
05-15-2006, 6:43 PM
I turned these two wine glasses for two of my nephews who are getting married soon. These are the first interlocking rings that I have turned. I am very satisfied with how they turned out. The wood is basswood and is finished with spray lacquer and then buffed.

It is a little tricky operating the hinged double headed beading tool that cuts the interlocking rings.;) :D

Joe

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2006, 6:50 PM
Looks real good to me Joe!!!! Excellent!!! Tell them congrats from SMC. ;)

Lee DeRaud
05-15-2006, 7:12 PM
Very nice.

Is the lettering laser-engraved?

Bill Grumbine
05-15-2006, 8:54 PM
It is a little tricky operating the hinged double headed beading tool that cuts the interlocking rings.;) :D
Joe

Very nice work Joe! I will say that I have found the electronic reciprocating gouge a lot easier to handle for this work! ;)

Bill

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2006, 9:24 PM
Great looking goblets and a great gift. I like how you had them engraved or lettered.

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
05-15-2006, 9:27 PM
Joe these are real good, the happy couples will display them with pride. Good job.

Keith Burns
05-15-2006, 9:28 PM
Very nice Joe, I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-16-2006, 2:58 AM
Absolutely gorgeous. I've seen captive rings done before, but how in the world does one get interlocking rings?

Vaughn McMillan
05-16-2006, 5:05 AM
Very nice work Joe! I will say that I have found the electronic reciprocating gouge a lot easier to handle for this work! ;)

Bill
And here I always thought you guys used the Möbius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip) skew for the interlocking rings. :rolleyes: Learn something new every day, huh?

Joe, that's nice work on the wine glasses. (Or would they be wine woods?)

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-16-2006, 5:36 AM
Nice Goblets, I'm sure they will be a hit! :D

Personally, I use my ninja, stealth, giri, giri, hooked skew for this........ ;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2006, 8:13 AM
Nice goblets Joe. They will be appreciated I am sure.

Mark Cothren
05-16-2006, 9:30 AM
Super gifts, Joe! They look great!

Ernie Nyvall
05-16-2006, 2:36 PM
Real nice Joe. Never tried one of these or interlocking rings.

Ernie

joe porter
03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice looking goblets. I make the wedding wine glasses with wooden stems and have the couples names engraved on the glasses. I will have to try a set with rings next. Thanks for the idea.

Moses Weisberg
03-11-2012, 4:15 PM
Those are gorgeous!

I have to ask the newbie question though, how on earth did you do those rings? Did you cut one large ring and then hand carve each one?

Steve Mawson
03-11-2012, 5:50 PM
Ok, let me be the one to "break" the news on the rings. Easiest way I know since I don't have all the equipment mentioned earlier:rolleyes: is to break one ring, carefully, and glue it back together interlocking.

Tim Rinehart
03-12-2012, 1:52 PM
Ok, let me be the one to "break" the news on the rings. Easiest way I know since I don't have all the equipment mentioned earlier:rolleyes: is to break one ring, carefully, and glue it back together interlocking.
Nahhh, say it ain't so!
Theoretically, if we turners weren't such an impatient lot...then we probably wouldn't have fallen into the turning vortex. With that being said...yes, interlocking rings can be done without breaking one of them with the grain of the wood, but it's ALOT harder and getting a perfectly round ring becomes a challenge that few of us have the patience for.

Fine set of goblets! I'm sure they will be cherished. I also did a goblet this past year for my niece, also with interlocking rings...its a fun piece to make.

Joe Hillmann
03-12-2012, 2:57 PM

I think you just took all the magic out of the world for me by explaining how it is done.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2012, 4:46 PM
If Mawson or anybody else spills the secrets of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, I will be forced to edit it out......:eek::rolleyes:

Baxter Smith
03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Nice job on the goblets! Someday I will have to give that a try.