PDA

View Full Version : My new lathe is making a mess!!

Joe Breid
05-15-2006, 6:36 PM
I have been spending a little more time on my new PM3520 lathe since I have finished my latest project.
( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36027 )

I have had a nunber of blocks of wood stacked up outside and have rough turned a few of them into bowls. Here is what the lathe looks like after I have put it to use and before I cleaned it up.

I also installed a vacuum pump for vacuum chucking.38556
If it looks like Dick Parr's setup (used to) it is because I really liked what I saw he had done with his when I visited him.

I am really liking this lathe. It is so much more stable than the 1236 and I can take heavier cuts without bogging it down. The flat top on the headstock gets quite a bit of use for setting things on. The one thing that I am not satisfied with is that the banjo does not slide as easy as I think it should. this does not happen every time but it seems that the block underneath is dragging on the frame. I have not taken a good look at it yet. Maybe it just needs to be polished up.

Here are a couple of pictures of some rough turned bowls that I have turned on this lathe.

I will be posting a couple of finished projects shortly.

Joe

John Hart
05-15-2006, 6:45 PM
That is just horrible Joe! How could you leave spots on the floor uncovered with shavings! Just shameless!!:D Nice looking set of bowls....I'll take the Box Elder on the far right, thank you.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-15-2006, 7:29 PM
Joe, Nice Mustard! Hey this gives me an idea for a new event...Largest mountian of chips...NOT!!!

Reed Gray
05-15-2006, 7:34 PM
Joe,
You know it is time to clean up the shop when you have to get down on your knees to turn. As far as the banjo not sliding well, you may want to loosen the nut on the bottom of the pressure plate a bit so that there is a little more slack when it is released.
robo hippy

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 7:55 PM
That's a bit 'o walnut lying there at your lathe's knees!

Andy Hoyt
05-15-2006, 8:22 PM
Joe, Nice Mustard! Hey this gives me an idea for a new event...Largest mountian of chips...NOT!!!

We'd all lose in a big hurry

George Conklin
05-15-2006, 8:34 PM
Haven't you guys ever heard of a dustpan and broom? Sheesh.

:D :p ;) :D

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 8:43 PM
Here's my three day's worth at David Ellsworth's back in 2001...

http://sawsndust.com/images/ellsworth/ellsworth-10.jpg

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2006, 8:55 PM
Your a messy dude Joe!! I am always suprised how big of mess I make with just a pen blank!

Corey

Travis Stinson
05-15-2006, 9:00 PM
Alright Joe! Way to give that baby a workout!
You might try cleaning and lubricating the rod that the nut slides on.;)

Frank Chaffee
05-15-2006, 11:08 PM
My new lathe is making a mess!!
And a fine mess it is Joe!

The maids in waiting stored on your lumber rack look very fine, and I’m sure your finishing will bring out their best.

Funny thing tho Joe, you looked like a relatively normal guy when I met you in LaCrosse. Really, I never suspected you were a turner.;)

Frank

Cecil Arnold
05-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Joe, Travis beat me to it, but I found that the rod under the banjo gets a lot of sawdust and causes it to be hard to move also.

Dick Parr
05-16-2006, 12:39 AM
It's about time you posted something on the new lathe Joe. That really looks like you are giving it a workout.

Glad to see you are having fun.;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-16-2006, 1:02 AM
Joe................. That's a lot of Walnut curls. I hope that's from A LOT of bowls!:D :D :D

Mustard really eats up wood.

Welcome to the Vortex!

Petty Officer Bruce;)
"Legion of the Lathe"

Doug Thompson
05-16-2006, 1:43 AM
Nice pile of shavings. I clean the banjo everytime the rails are done... seems to work out well.

Have fun,
Doug

Pat Salter
05-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Haven't you guys ever heard of a dustpan and broom? Sheesh.

:D :p ;) :D
I don't use a dustpan. Can't find one big enough, I just keep a flat shovel nearby. I don't think my back would take all that bending over with a dustpan. And besides. there's no fun in cleaning a mess, only in making one. :D

Don Orr
05-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Awesome work on the desk and the shavings pile. I love being able to make a huge mess and not get yelled at for it:D . I don't even mind cleaning up after myself.
I give most of my chips to my wife's pottery group for their Raku and pit firings. I try not to give the walnut though just incase someone is allergic. Walnut smoke might not be good to breathe.

Reed Gray
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
How about scoop shovel and rake?
robo hippy