PDA

View Full Version : New Species of wood salad bowls

Jim King
05-15-2006, 5:18 PM
This is a sub species of a new species we discovered over a year ago that was recently given a scientific name, the sub species still does not have a scientific name.. The salad bowl is about 12 inches in dia.. One of the very few woods in the world that stay pink over time and do not loose their color. The second flat bowl is an end grain platter of the standard Pink Flame Wood which now has a scientific name.

John Hart
05-15-2006, 5:37 PM
Being Peruvian, Mark Singer would say that it's Shlamaca.:D ....I say that they are both down right beautiful!! Incredible!!!!!!:) You have certainly brought something new and delightful to the table Jim.

Joe Melton
05-15-2006, 5:40 PM
Beautiful wood, Jim, and tastefully done. Is this wood rare? How does a guy get some, assuming a trip to Peru is not in the stars.
Joe

Lee DeRaud
05-15-2006, 5:45 PM
...assuming a trip to Peru is not in the stars.It's not so much that the ticket is expensive, it's just a real pain to get a chainsaw through security.:cool:

Jim Dunn
05-15-2006, 6:18 PM
it's just a real pain to get a chainsaw through security.:cool:

If you'd quit trying to take it thru running and waving it over your head you'd have better luck:eek::D

That is indeed some beautiful wood where-ever it comes from.:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2006, 6:20 PM
Don't bother with the Chainsaw Lee just try to get a fingernail scissors thru airport security. :mad:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-15-2006, 6:22 PM
HOLY COW!! That's a GOOD thing! Beautiful!

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2006, 9:44 PM
That is some cool stuff, nice turning as well!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
That is some very interesting and beautiful wood!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-16-2006, 3:04 AM
Beautiful woods, and I like the forms. So what are the names of these woods, anyway?

Frank Fusco
05-16-2006, 9:18 AM
The beauty is indeniable. But being unknown woods, I have to wonder about possible toxicity when being used for food.

Mark Cothren
05-16-2006, 9:28 AM
Very nice Jim! Those are some fantastic colors!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-16-2006, 9:36 AM
The colors are so vivid, they look fake........almost, boy they are nice.

so this really, REALLY is "Dunno" wood...? :D

Jim King
05-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Henry: After a couple of bottles of rum one night we decided to call this group Pink Flame. Real name is in the note below from our research scientist at the U of SC,
Jim

A short note, which I will expand later:

I have dissected the flowers, took pictures, and compared the data to all but two books (the report on the Explorama flora and the other one on the Leticia site) I just requested these books from interlibrary loan.

Pink flame hembra keys out clearly to the Rinorea subgroup IIa.1. 'Haughtii' Multivenosa complex. It only contains two species which have so far been known to science only from a handful of collections from southern Colombia and SW Brazil from Acre (Acre is the Brazilian state across the border river).

Hembra is distinct from macho, but I can only judge hembra because ony hembra came with flowers. Hembra is clearly distinct from both species in the multivenosa complex, and unless it matches some new species that might be revealed in the above two books, we are dealing with a new species of a rare genus. Rare because rarely encountared, nevertheless the tree may be locally common. You can tell me how common it is on your sites.

Therefore the name will have to revised from Rinorea aff. multivenosa or R. aff. longistipula to Rinorea sp. nov. #1.

Exciting!

Mihaly

Don Orr
05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Very nice Jim, forms and wood. I also wolud be curious about food service compatibility. I know you finish your pieces thorughly but no finish is truly impermeable.

Nice to see you here on the Creek!

Jim King
05-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Don: As we live several hundred miles from the nearest road we are not blessed with Woodcrafts etc. so our selection of marerials and tools is a bit slim. The best we have available is a 3 part polyurethane floor finish that does a quite good job and withstands months inside a beer mug with daily use. Jim-Iquitos,Peru

Jim King
05-16-2006, 1:53 PM
Don: To annswer your finish question about finish a bit more complete here is an old photo using poly. We make lots of these sets and simply wash them with a soft cloth and soap and water. They have made it thru many a toast and serious continuation. No idea about a dishwasher but I would not try it.

Ernie Nyvall
05-16-2006, 3:09 PM
Therefore the name will have to revised from Rinorea aff. multivenosa or R. aff. longistipula to Rinorea sp. nov. #1.

Mihaly

Yea, that's what I was thinking too.:D

Both are beautiful woods Jim. Nice work and keep them coming.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-16-2006, 5:06 PM
Jim, ya got me again with those goblets. Sorry to keep bugging about wood species, but what are the types in those goblets? I'm especially wondering if the second from the right is Purpleheart---it seems awfully light for that.

Wow---if this is stuff you make for daily usage, I'd love to see what you make for display!

Jim King
05-16-2006, 5:40 PM
Henry:

Left to right, Tigre Caspi, Queenwood, Mocote, Red Queenwood, Purpleheart and Amazonian Ebony: The purple heart will darken but it also appears that in the next uear or so we will be able to confirm that there are more than one type of purple Heart.

Don Orr
05-16-2006, 7:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification on your finish. I thought I remembered something like that from another website (maybe WC? or WOW?). Very nice work as usual Jim.

Now I have to clean the drool of the keyboard after looking at this incredible wood:D :D .

Take care, Don

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-17-2006, 7:35 AM
Thanks, Jim! I thought that second from right was Purpleheart, but it seemed quite light in shade. Those are some absolutely beautiful exotics---but I guess since you're in Peru, they're not really exotics for you. I am especially interested in hearing more about the different Purpleheart species you may be encountering---that has to be my favorite wood among the exotics.

I think I may have missed a few posts, but are you a native Peruvian, or are you there for research/work/vacation? Also, although I do full well understand the potential for negative ecological impact of exotic timber harvest, I was wondering if any of these new species exist in responsibly harvestable quantities, and if they are easily renewable?