PDA

View Full Version : Great Service from Jet

Bill Grumbine
09-02-2003, 9:09 AM
Good morning all

Often we will post when a company gives us the shaft, or treats us poorly in some other way. Well I just got screwed by Jet for free!

Some of you who attended the Five Barns Picnic may remember that I was suffering from the jests of those who characterized my bandsaw as having an orbital action. I was under the impression that it was cutting that way because the blade had been bent and rebent numerous times while cutting rough bowl blanks. As it turned out, The screw holding the lower wheel had come completely out, and was lost somewhere in several cubic yards of chips and dust!

Upon discovery of this minor disaster, I called Jet technical service (the manual is MIA) and got the part number and description. I thought I would try and find it locally. Fat chance. It is a left handed metric threaded bolt. After a few fruitless phone calls, I called Jet back to order the part. As I was talking with the very friendly lady, I said something like, "This is a 50 cent part isn't it?". She replied that it was, and then went on to say she was not going to charge me for it, and then shipped it for free as well! I thanked her for her kindness, and several days later, the bolt arrived. I screwed it into the saw, and it works like it was new again.

I realize that not everyone has the same sterling experience with Jet, but I wanted to write and say that I had a good one, and in general, I have had very good service from Jet - better than several other tool companies with whom I have dealt.

Bill

Charles McKinley
09-02-2003, 9:52 AM
Hi Bill,

I'm glad the you recieved such great service. I'm even happier that it did not come flying apart on you. How long had it been like that? This shows the importance of unexcitnig inspections that we fail to make on a regular basis.

Lars Thomas
09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
I've had similar good experiences with Jet, They seem to be willing to go the extra mile - and not just for a 50 cent piece. Lars

Bart Leetch
09-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Hi Bill,

"This shows the importance of unexciting inspections that we fail to make on a regular basis."

It's great to hear you received the part you needed & repaired your saw. I can't imagine a wood turner without a properly working band-saw.

Yes & an unexciting inspection of the floor with a broom helps once in a while too. He He!!!

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-02-2003, 2:34 PM
Yes sir, Bill
I had a similar experience when putting together the JET Contractors Saw and Exacta Fence. No charge was made for sending me parts that I needed to complete the installation and getting the saw operating correctly.
Wonderful folks!
Daniel

John Davidson
09-02-2003, 4:28 PM
I bought my Jet bandsaw used. I managed to loose a couple of key parts when I went to install the rizer block for it, the spring and ball that rides in the V groove of the blade giude. I had thrown the instuctions to the side only to find out that there was a warning in them that the spring and ball was subject to fly accross the room if you where not careful. So I called jet and explained what I did.

The parts were sent to me at no charge including a can of touch up paint. This would have been great service if I had bought the saw new and it was still in warranty but for a used saw that was several years old, it blew me away.

Needless to say that when I am in the market for equipment the first brand that I look to is Jet. I have never been dissapointed.

Don Abele
09-02-2003, 10:56 PM
John...LMAO...I did that very same thing when I bought my BS new a couple of years ago. How hard could it be to assemble? I sure saw that warning after that little ball and spring flew out of there and hit me square in the face. Of course I was too busy ducking the buck shot to notice where it landed. When I called Jet the lady laughed (after she asked if I was all right) and said they get that same exact call a lot. Sure helped to ease my bruised ego. And yes, they sent it out to me free of charge.

Thanks for the chuckle about an old hard learned lesson...

Be well,

Doc

Jeff Rich
09-03-2003, 7:53 AM
I also received very good service from Jet when I bought my bandsaw.
They had supplied it with the wrong guide bars for the fence.
Jet sent me the new guide bars and told me to keep the old ones.
they even sent a new miter gauge!
Now if they could beef up that motor a bit.........LOL

Dominic Greco
09-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Good morning all
I called Jet back to order the part. As I was talking with the very friendly lady, I said something like, "This is a 50 cent part isn't it?". She replied that it was, and then went on to say she was not going to charge me for it, and then shipped it for free as well! I thanked her for her kindness, and several days later, the bolt arrived. I screwed it into the saw, and it works like it was new again.
Bill

Bill,
I'm glad to hear that your bandsaw is back to optimum working condition now. I would suggest that you apply a tiny bit of the blue Loctite Thread locker to that bolt. It should minimize the chances of it popping out again. I've used Loctite on that exact bolt, as well as the allen head set screws that secure the pulleys to the shafts of motor and saw.

I've had more than my share of experience refurbing machines. And my 14" Jet Bandsaw was one of them. When the wheel hinge (near the tension mechanism) bent, I called Jet and they sent me a whole (new improved design) assembly, no questions asked.

When the extension rest for my Jet Jwl- 236 wood lathe's tool rest broke in half while turning, I called them. Again, replacement sent to me via UPS at no charge.

Thats one of the reasons that I bought my Jet 1642. Absolutely top notch customer service. But to be quite honest, I've also been treated really well by the folks at Delta/Porter Cable.

See ya,
Dominic

Walt Drummond
09-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Bill,
Glad to hear the band saw is now working well,and that Jet service is "service". Altho,
I have to tell you that I'm sorry it's no longer "orbital action".

I've had a few chuckles on that story. Can't tell it any more....

Looking forward to next year already.

Walt