PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Good Morning,

Was a good but rather cool weekend here. Spent some time in the shop this weekend working on finishing up a yard fence thing for a lady at work and worked in the yard to see about keeping my yard from looking like a hay field. Also helped my neighbor frame up a new 2nd story over his garage for a new master bedroom suite and bath. That was an experience!!!!!!

Sunday was busy with church and family night. Back to work today and I'm still working on this computer desk that I took on for a buddy at work.

That's it for me. So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Spent Sat. with the dogs at home, and adjusted the sprinkler system so everything was spraying the right direction. Watched a great game between the Mavs and spurs. I don't care which side you're on, that was a good game. Spent Sunday going to see my parents at Lake Texhoma. Good weekend! Jim.

Steve Clardy
05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Busy, full weekend around here.
Not much shop time though.
My wife graduated from the local community college friday evening.
She took some ag classes, graduated with honors. A- grade
Had a bunch of Her family here all weekend. Place was really buzzing around here with 20 people.
Cooking, barbecueing steaks, chicken, etc.
Glad its over, and back to normal for a while.

Greg Koch
05-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Installed the 4 undersink shelves and cleaned the garage a bit. I unloaded about 20 used 1/4" 4 x 8 panels, I got free from freecycle, that will be put up and painted in my "shop". Loaded up the trailer with junk headed to the recycle station, and then ran by the lumber yard for another cashe of wood. I did a bunch of "re-sawing" of some boards I got to make them more usable, and sorted the stuff I have.

Weather was great, sunny and warm, so I mowed the front/back/side yards and got some tomato and strawberry starts for the garden. All in all, a nice productive weekend.

Ed Lang
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Spent time building and installing a vacuum table on the CNC router

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/69598062-S.jpg

And Sunday afternoon I had a visit from...

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/69598843-S.jpg
Good one Bill! Now I understand the comment about having to take a second picture!

I sure had a fantastic weekend!

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Ed, that's not an unusual "trick" from Mr Grumbine... ;)
------

Busy weekend; no shop time, despite the desire. Saturday, we went to a Russian adoption picnic at the Peal S Buck facilities near here. The music was great and it was nice to chat with other parents who have or are following the same family building path we recently did. And then it rained. After getting home, I spend some time updating the plans/renderings on our home addition BLOG (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) with changes coming out of our meeting with the architect Friday morning. We should soon have formal elevations to work with and also have a preliminary cost estimate...which I'm sure will be quite scary.

Sunday, the girls were nice enough to let Dr. SWMBO sleep in to 9am while I ran out to Dunkin' Donuts...that was a very nice "first Mother's Day present" for her. The rest of the day was low-key. The girls had their swimming lessons at the YMCA and I mowed the lawn. Then, I moved some wood chips I had previously created to the area where the play gym will go, chipped and shredded some more and put them down. I have about a third of the area dealt with and if it ever stops raining, the tree service folks will be able to get to my work for the driveway project and I'll have enough chips to finish things up. Here's where it stands so far...

Matt Meiser
05-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Not too much. I spent several hours getting all my hardware organized. Saturday we hit Lowes and got the materials to do a little landscaping around my shop. Sunday there was a breif break in the rain so that I could get everything planted. I'll post pics for the police when (if) the rain stops long enough for me to take the camera out. Next shop improvement project will start this week--a small bench made of some reclaimed cypress for outside the shop door.

larry merlau
05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
well friday i got the ceiling painted good ,then the girls came home for the wknd better then BAD pulled the masking tape and the paper came too. very bad. now need new paper, not another job before the weddingeek: got enough to do. went to get Wpaper, the lady said dont need to strip it. great thing. start to prime old paper, the old paper bubbles and needs to come off bad again. the sisters get into each others space another bad thing, cat fight almost. i head to the shop. good thing get something done in there and no fightin, peek inside they have got the paper comun off well, good thing. the warriors have made a treaty, head cheif. my wife has put down foot. have good day sunday with everyone peacful. great. then the wife gets sad her kids have to go back but then we get the walls ready for new paper and all things come back to normal for us anyway.. next time i will ship them away no more weddings at my house..:eek:

Scott D Johnson
05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Finished the 3rd of 3 doors I am making for some base cabinets for our coffee cafe at our Church. Need to move the cabinets out of my basement shop as I have do not have enough room down there to start the wook on the countertop. I am using the "Sommerfeld" tongue and groove and pocket hole FF system to make the cabinets out of Oak and Oak ply for the sides and some cheap "Harbor Freight" Rail and Stile bits fro the cabinet doors. Overall I am pleased with the results thus far. This is my first attempt and making cabinets.

larry merlau
05-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Not too much. I spent several hours getting all my hardware organized. Saturday we hit Lowes and got the materials to do a little landscaping around my shop. Sunday there was a breif break in the rain so that I could get everything planted. I'll post pics for the police when (if) the rain stops long enough for me to take the camera out. Next shop improvement project will start this week--a small bench made of some reclaimed cypress for outside the shop door.

matt you get enough time to take a break at your shop? new bench for the break time huh. you need to have more work to do.:D

JayStPeter
05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I had a three day weekend. But, still no shop time. I dug some new beds in the yard and planted plenty of stuff in them. Also spent a lot of time with the kids so my wife could have a break. There's probably cobwebs forming on all my equipment down in the basement :rolleyes: .

Jay

Pete Harbin
05-15-2006, 1:17 PM
Sheesh guys! Send some of that rain down here already!

No shop time this weekend. I did attend our monthly Albuquerque Woodworkers meeting. "Jigs and Fixtures" was the topic of the day, and I picked up some pretty cool tricks and ideas. I was a lucky dog again in the raffle, scoring another $20 Woodcraft gift certificate.

I spent several hours on Saturday working on our evaporative cooler. I'm doing a total clean up, lube, running new copper line and installing a new motor and pump. After being on the roof for a couple of hours I had everything ready, and installed the new motor and pulley for the cage. When I went to install the new belt...something was amiss...there was no pulley on the motor shaft...guess what the trashman hauled away on Friday with my old motor...doh!

Another trip to Home Depot today durring lunch! :rolleyes: And maybe to the Woodcraft just down the street. :p

Pete

Mark Pruitt
05-15-2006, 1:59 PM
Spent WAAAAY too much time at Woodcraft on Saturday. After setting up my new planer I got back to my workbench and managed to spend a couple hours on it.

One of the other "toys" I picked up at Woodcraft was a 1/2" spiral cut Whiteside router bit. I have to say, that is the sharpest router bit I have ever handled. Dangerously sharp! (No I didn't cut myself handling it but could have easily done so.)

Greg Narozniak
05-15-2006, 2:19 PM
Sat - Bought a new Washer, Dryer and fridge for the move. Ordered the Epoxy floor paint for the new garage floor. More Packing!

Sun - Mom's breakfast home with wife and son. Packing, Packing and More Packing. Grilled up some steaks and chicken and then cut the grass before the days of rain come.

Alan DuBoff
05-15-2006, 2:37 PM
Spent time in the shop with my daughter, we made cutting boards for Mom and Grandma.

My son made templates on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for us to use on the project.

http://www.SoftOrchestra.com/woodworking/wood/mothers_day_2006

It was fun...

Didn't any others make Mother's Day gifts with their GITies?

Brett Baldwin
05-15-2006, 3:11 PM
I spent the better part of three hours Saturday at Rockler waiting for my chance to turn a pen. It went pretty quick since I got to observe many others mistakes and just had to develop a "feel" for using the lathe. Here's my thread on that. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36421
Naturally, I lightened my wallet a bit more on the way out with a Freud combo blade that was on sale and a Dozuki that I've wanted to try for a while. The 20% off coupon helped with those decisions.

Vaughn McMillan
05-15-2006, 5:26 PM
I didn't really get much shop time in this weekend. Did the final assembly of the backyard arbor I've been working on. Also used some of the scrap from the arbor project to build a new mailbox post. (Nothing fancy, just something to hold us over until I have the time to build a nice one.) Also pulled the drawer fronts and cabinet drawers from one of the bathrooms so I could drill for new hardware, patch the old holes, and re-paint.

Outside of the shop, I did a bunch of yard work...installed another 60' or so of lawn edging, and purchased, carted, and spread about 1500 pounds of landscape bark in various locations front and back.

- Vaughn

Jerry Strojny
05-15-2006, 6:18 PM
Finally got some shop time. Spent some of Saturday at the lumber yard picking out some QS white oak for my brother-in-laws changing table topper. Got the boards jointed but not planed. Also got the cubies for the nursery closet assembled. Just a 1/2" BB for that. It's getting painted. Otherwise slept in and loafed around. It was a good weekend.

Fred Voorhees
05-15-2006, 7:29 PM
Loaded two full pick up beds of mulch by shovel on Saturday morning and then proceeded to distribute about half of it around the various flower beds on our property. Those two tasks took roughly half of the day and by the time I was finished and had some lunch, it was nearly time to get ready for the usual Saturday night racing at the New Egypt Speedway. It was a rough night as this video will show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoY2_btKiZM

Sunday morning, it was my first Delaware River bass float of the season and two fishing buddies joined me for the four and a half hour excursion and we totaled just over thirty bass and some nice ones at that. Weather was a tad cloudy, but hey, it kept the heat down and there was no glare. Great day on the river none the less. The 4:30AM wake up call for the fishing trip had this boy a tired puppy in the afternoon and I stole a quick nap before dinnertime and then just lazed around until the season finale of Survivor came on.

Bryan Somers
05-15-2006, 9:58 PM
Got a new bar top cut to width and template made for the inlaws beach cottage(2'nd attempt). Took the LOML out for mothers day. Not much else, it was my weekend to work.

John Headley
05-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Alan, that look like a weekend to remember. Great project and nice pics.

I had a similarly rewarding weekend. Saturday I spent the day with my 11 yr. old son finishing his mother's day gift. He made her a box to store her sandstone coasters in. It is made out of ambrosia maple, walnut and lined with aromatic cedar. No pics of the process, but the majority of the construction was using hand tools in the hands of my son. The only power tools used were a band saw for resawing, a table saw for the box joints, and a sander for the inlay (liquid inlay does not plane well).

http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/pp/data/500/medium/P5150040_edited-1.jpg

http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/pp/data/500/P5150036_Medium_.JPG

Alan DuBoff
05-16-2006, 1:47 PM
Alan, that look like a weekend to remember. Great project and nice pics.And likewise, you're son's project looks nicer! :cool:

This was my daughter's first time to the shop, and she was so happy, and exhausted after we finished.

Funny, she asked me the day before if we could cut out a name sign on the bandsaw for mother's day, and I had first ignored her request...but I started to feel bad that I did so and later asked her if she would like to make a cutting board, and that I thought I could help her do something with that, which she could work on mostly herself.

She likes the glue-up part, and using a small acid etch brush to smooth the glue on. One board got a couple boards swapped around, and it was not symetrical, color wise, but we kept it that way as that is the way that one turned out, going to Grandma. :p

The best thing was about half way during the project she looked up at me with sawdust all over her face and said, "this is going to be the best Mother's day gift I've ever given Mom". I don't know if it was the best, but it was certainly the one that came mostly from her heart. Speaking of which...we originally had an idea to make heart shaped cutting boards, but the first one we tried ended up looking like a piece of wood with a large butt on top, which we promptly named the "Butt of Arms", since my daughter thought it resembled a coat of arms also... :rolleyes: It was a fun day, and now I'll be able to get her back in the shop...

Wonderful looking box, your son (and wife) are surely proud!

Glad that there was others creating gifts in the shop for Mother's Day. My daughter might want to do a box like that next year, she's already mentioned we're gonna start earlier next year to do something nicer. :)