PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Resaw

Jim King
05-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I thought some of you may enjoy this. We made this a few months ago for resawing railroad tie size cants that are cut up in the jungle and carried out by hand and then into thin boards. The saw is built from scrap Bloodwood, Purpleheart and Shihuahuaco. In 1/4 inch thick stock we cut about 550 bf a day and full 1 -1/8 stock somedays we reach 2000 bf. It is powered by a 25 hp motor. This will cut our hardest woods with no problem while the best band resaw in town cannot cut them. Runs everyday. Things can still be done without super expensive toys.

tod evans
05-15-2006, 10:33 AM
way cool jim!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-15-2006, 11:48 AM
You using a circular blade? Yup there it is, how big is it?

John Timberlake
05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Really nice resaw set up. Where do you sell the wood?

Alan Tolchinsky
05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
That's a very nice set up.

Jim King
05-15-2006, 4:07 PM
Cliff: The blade is a 20 inch 36 tooth carbide.
John: We have been exporting turning blanks to the States for several years and are now just getting into the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch board market. The first shipment should be out of here in a couple of months.
A couple of photos are attached to show some of the unusual varieties. All lumber is KD, S4S and shrinkwrapped.

Scott Donley
05-15-2006, 4:17 PM
Cliff: The blade is a 20 inch 36 tooth carbide.
John: We have been exporting turning blanks to the States for several years and are now just getting into the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch board market. The first shipment should be out of here in a couple of months.
A couple of photos are attached to show some of the unusual varieties. All lumber is KD, S4S and shrinkwrapped.I'll take 3 #9's and 2#4's:D Great looking wood !

Vaughn McMillan
05-15-2006, 4:39 PM
That is too cool, Jim. Gorgeous-looking product pics, too. I can only imagine what your personal stash must look like. ;) I'm with Scott...I'll take 2 of these, half a dozen of those, and a few of them over there, too.

- Vaughn

Lars Thomas
05-15-2006, 4:58 PM
Jim, be sure to share with us where we can purchase some of that stock!!

Alex Shanku
05-15-2006, 5:20 PM
Cool stuff, Jim.

Would you be able to post a key, in order to identify the numbered pieces in your first pic?

Thanks,

Al

Peter Gavin
05-15-2006, 5:37 PM
Jim,

Would you mind giving us a rundown on your sustainability, reforestation and native empowerment strategies? As a woodworker, it really thrills me to find out about how people are trying to save the planet for my grandkids to be able to enjoy this hobby too.

Thanks

Peter Gavin

Jim King
05-15-2006, 5:46 PM
Alex: Here you go:
1: Black Ipe
2: Standard Bloodwood
3: Rainbow Wood
4: Tigre Caspi
5: Wide Band Orange Agate
6: Remo Caspi
7: Standard Purpleheart
8: Limoncillo
9: Queenwood
10: Mottled limoncillo
11: Black Palm
12: Monkey Ear
13: Standard Orange Agate
14: Standard Pink Flame
15: Black Agate

Jim King
05-15-2006, 6:27 PM
Peter: We are dong the largest wood ID project in the Peruvian Amazon in order to create new markets for new species. We live in Loreto State that is 40% bigger than Oregon and produces one half of one percent of the anual production of Oregon. There has to be much work done in order to save the billions of feet of lumber that fall over every year in the Amazon and yet the people live in extreme poverty. Here extreme poverty has a strange meaning. The typical rural person has an income of less than a dollar a day but has no debt, eats all the fish , bananas, yuca and other misc foods that he wants for free . The poverty is strange because that same family is living in a grass roof house with 8 or 10 ebony columns holding it up and he sits on a black palm floor. Nice little grass shack worth at Woodcraft probably $200,000. Poverty is hard to describe.. Take a look at our web site to see a little about our animal rescue program www.exoticwoodworld.com (http://www.exoticwoodworld.com) . A lot left to put on the web site but it is a project that never finishes.

Alex Shanku
05-15-2006, 6:39 PM
Jim,

Thanks!