PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on MegaWatt Wind Chargers

James Carmichael
05-15-2006, 9:20 AM
I seem to recall a lot of Bucks County, PA folks here on the creek, where Gamesa is supposed to start building the towers for their G8X-2.0 MW wind chargers, and was hoping someone might advise as to the footprint and ancillary support (roads, power-line, ROWs, etc.) required for one of these behemoths.

We've been approached about leasing the family ranch as part of a 120 MW "wind farm". The package included a brochure on the chargers, but not much of use to a landowner. No idea yet as to where or how many they would place, they're still researching.

It looks like it could be a decent revenue stream, but I'm very concerned about how much land they would need to clear. The land value is pretty much all recreational and aesthetic (read hunting), it's terrible ranch or farmland due to the poor soil, although development is creeping in that direction. The oil companies have been bad enough already.

Thanks,

James

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 9:40 AM
James, I've not heard of this at all...at least not in the one local (free) paper we actually read. The only wind facilities I've seen have been up in NE PA on Waymart Mountain. Big suckers!

Kyle Kraft
05-16-2006, 3:20 PM
I'll try to look in my North American Windpower trade magazine that I get. They are always featuring the up and coming wind power projects in the U.S.

Kyle in K'zoo