PDA

View Full Version : OK, this is pretty cool

Mike Schwing
09-02-2003, 8:28 AM
Just because I happened to view Dominic's post about box elder this morning, I'm now in line to receive some myself. You guys might want to try this too.

I'm having a local tree trimming / removal / care company come to the house tomorrow to give me a quote on trimming or removing a small Japanese Maple that has overgrown my backyard. I told the person on the phone that I'd want to save the trunk section for woodworking. She was very curious about what I'd make with it and said "do you want more stuff like that? :) We cut down nice trees all of the time and it usually just goes to firewood." I said "Of course! I'd love maple, cherry, walnut, and even some box elder!" The response "We cut down box elder all of the time, it all goes to firewood." Told her it'd have to be at least 16-18" in diameter to really make any use of it - and get this "is it ok if they're bigger ones?":D

She's going to keep my name on her wall and let me know whenever they get wood I'd like. All I have to do is pick it up and pay them for a little chainsaw work.

Might want to call your local guys!

Jim Becker
09-02-2003, 9:00 AM
I can see it now, "Schwingding Wood Brokers, the new eastern woodworking materials congolmerate, announces today it's expansion into exotic screws and related hardware. The stock rose 12 cents on the news in heavy trading."

Seriously, you have the right idea, Mike, especially for turning stock. Tree firms are some of the best non-scavenging sources for material. You'll be quickly on your way to a small side business selling blanks locally and through EBAY! (And giving some of the more outstanding pieces away to your SMC friends, of course... :p )

Brad Schafer
09-02-2003, 8:45 PM
... I said "Of course! I'd love maple, cherry, walnut, and even some box elder!" The response "We cut down box elder all of the time, it all goes to firewood." Told her it'd have to be at least 16-18" in diameter to really make any use of it - and get this "is it ok if they're bigger ones?":D

i took down a big one 2 months ago; roots were into the foundation of an old building on the property. trunk was 36"+ diameter (6' high). two shoots off the trunk were 16", and around 14' in length before becoming thinner/messier. boy, i really wish i would have known people liked this beforehand. :mad:

b (in this case, for Bozo)

PS - our county does the same thing with cleaning/trimming. my brother has multiple cords of wood from stuff the county was just going to trash. check with your local engineer,